Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else have my problem?When shifting from 4th to 5th sometimes the clutch kicks back against my hand,then when in 5th it sometimes drops back to 4th immediately,and sometimes 5-10 seconds later it kicks outa 4th on its own.This happens after fully releasing the clutch!The dealer told me that I didn't know how to shift right!Telling me to hold the gear in the up position until fully releasing the clutch!This sounded ignorant(I have 23 years riding under my belt,and the dealer says I've been doing wrong all this time,AND,I have NEVER experience this on any other bike and I've owned 15 bikes of all different manu.)and sought out my mechanic who is honda cert.but does not do warranty work.He has 30 years exp.as a mech.and rider.He said the dealer instructions would cause much wear and tear and is unnecessary!Also says it is not uncommon on 2006 and newer.I have a 2009 goldwing premium audio and comfort package.This bothers me because my dealer said honda will not warranty a bent shift fork(indicating without riding or looking at my bike,that it's my fault i dont know how to ride!)with NO examination of my bike!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I assume the bike is still under the original factory warranty. I would take it in and have them fix it, and I would want him to show you where the "bent shift fork" is not covered, if indeed it is the problem.

Or, as has been suggested take it to another dealer for a second opinion.

One question... Do you have a heel/toe shifter installed??

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
There are a lot of reported problem with GHOST SHIFTING on the 06 and up Gold wings. If you have a bent shift fork and you have a heel/toe shifter Honda will not cover it, But if the bike is just dropping out of gear it will be covered. Find another dealer. Most mechanic know little about Gold Wings, You can also call Honda customer service and talk to them about the dealer.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
other dealers unwilling

I assume the bike is still under the original factory warranty. I would take it in and have them fix it, and I would want him to show you where the "bent shift fork" is not covered, if indeed it is the problem.

Or, as has been suggested take it to another dealer for a second opinion.

One question... Do you have a heel/toe shifter installed??
Many dealers w/in 75 miles all unwilling to help say go to purchase dealer,and no heel toe

·
Registered
60 Posts
Ktownne- Funny you should mention this. Last weekend SO and I were out for a ride
on the 2010 wing when she dropped out of 5th with a really bad gear grinding noise. It only happened once thank goodness! Hey, I also missed 2nd twice that same day, I have only been riding 38 years so it's probably my error also. What gives?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
You dealer is full of "it" telling you to hold it in gear as you let the clutch out!
Bent shifter forks are a covered item-dealer full of "it" on this also, unless you have heel/toe shifter.
Go back to your "dealer" and ask for a conference call w/the Factory Rep(if you don't have a heel/toe shifter
Now, straight out question-Do you have a heel/toe shifter? If so and your "dealer" saw it-that may be why the others have told you to take it where you bought it-it's been flagged in the Honda warranty computer data base!

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I had the ghost shift happen twice in a week when I was " new " to the bike. It got my attention. These Wings sure are rough shifters, but my VTX wasn't much smoother. 4th gear is my worst of the upshift, 5th is smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll post again to clarify.I do not have a heel toe shifter,as for the dealers near me,out of ten dealers nearest me;3 outright did not respond(e-mail contacted and called and left messages with request for help and promised future business with maint.and future purchases,yes I'm forced at this point into attempted bribery!!)the remaining seven; three said no need to inspect it it was not covered,4 of them told me they were unwilling to do work that should be done at the place of purchase.Two reps at two dealers even said that there was no reason for anyone other than where purchased mechs.to even look at it because theres no money in it because they didnt make anything on the original sale!!AND nobody would even let me schedule any apptmnts to have it look at!!Three actually claiming they know what's wrong site unseen!!!I'm pretty sure I'm not the brightest bulb in the box,but,what the hell??

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
dealers rule!!!

Ktownne- Funny you should mention this. Last weekend SO and I were out for a ride
on the 2010 wing when she dropped out of 5th with a really bad gear grinding noise. It only happened once thank goodness! Hey, I also missed 2nd twice that same day, I have only been riding 38 years so it's probably my error also. What gives?
hey,sorry,but if your dealer is anything like mine they'll tell you that you're probably shifting wrong and yes I only have 23 years on bikes of all types but yes I've been doing it wrong and broke this one!Never broke any before,but all of a sudden,new bikes can't handle my inhuman flogging.But if they tell you"We'll look at it but you have to sign here saying you'll pay the 285 dollar inspection fee if in fact they are right and I f-ed it up"!!WHAT DO YOU THINK IS THE PROBABILITY OF IT BEING MY FAULT IF I HEAR THAT STATEMENT UPFRONT??

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
I'll post again to clarify.I do not have a heel toe shifter,as for the dealers near me,out of ten dealers nearest me;3 outright did not respond(e-mail contacted and called and left messages with request for help and promised future business with maint.and future purchases,yes I'm forced at this point into attempted bribery!!)the remaining seven; three said no need to inspect it it was not covered,4 of them told me they were unwilling to do work that should be done at the place of purchase.Two reps at two dealers even said that there was no reason for anyone other than where purchased mechs.to even look at it because theres no money in it because they didnt make anything on the original sale!!AND nobody would even let me schedule any apptmnts to have it look at!!Three actually claiming they know what's wrong site unseen!!!I'm pretty sure I'm not the brightest bulb in the box,but,what the hell??
This is odd. I'm the second owner of my bike that was purchased in Winchester, VA. I take my bike to a local shop here in Manassas, VA They did " warranty " work on my bike.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
NOTE TO SELF:::: REMOVE TOE TO HEAL shifter before going to dealer, thanks for the advice on how the dealers feel about a good thing for me since I really like it better than the original shifter.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
It seems like you need to contact the factory rep for Honda and complain about non-service from factory authorized dealers in your area. JMHO..

·
Registered
741 Posts
700 miler the other day. One lazy shift and one pop out of gear. The rest of the ride the bike shifted smooth as butter. I often shift twice in 5th out of habit now just to make sure I engaged correctly. I have had track bikes do the same thing and let me tell you, a missed shift prior to entering a turn blows everything! I can attribute all my mis-shifts to driver error. I have 9k now and the bike is shifting better with mileage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts