Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
:D Just completed 50,000 mile service ( New head bearings, tapered of course, fork oil change, new brakes) Polished out front wheel and painted inlays black, multi color clear coat over all. New Elite 3 front tire. Bike rides like NEW again!!! Gotta love tapered bearings!

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
you sure are racking up the miles. my 1500 is ten years older and has about 1500 more miles than your 1800

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My theory on riding is, If she leans left, turn left. If she leans right, turn right. If she does not lean, STAND ON IT!!!! Just my theory. Interstates surround my town so I can always get home.

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
Curious as to your choice of the Elite 3. Most owners slag them pretty hard.

·
Super Moderator
7,648 Posts
May I ask what black multi color clear coat is, something about it sounds nice.
I've seen iridescent pearl and holographic glitter.
When I have the funds I may have the dash on my 1500 done with the holographic glitter.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
The black is regular metallic. The clear coat is a multi color. Available at o'reillys auto parts, it is called clear effects. The Elite 3 is what Honda recommends and so far I have had VERY good luck with mine. I think the biggest problem everybody is having is the 38-42 mph wobble all wings from 2001 to 2008 has. Everybody talks about changing tires seems to get rid of it. Mine returned after about 2500 miles on any tire I installed. The tapered bearings eliminate the issue! Thus I went back with the factory tire.

·
Premium Member
23,794 Posts
I think the biggest problem everybody is having is the 38-42 mph wobble all wings from 2001 to 2008 has. Everybody talks about changing tires seems to get rid of it. Mine returned after about 2500 miles on any tire I installed. The tapered bearings eliminate the issue! Thus I went back with the factory tire.
Almost 5,000 miles on my KUMHO and no wobble yet. Can't say it's the tires, but so far it is. If I hit 10,000 and no wobble, can I be justified in my hunch ?

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Have you done anything with the head bearings? I have ridden about a dozen wings that belong to customers and they all did it. This has been a very worn subject on this forum. Or is your wing a later 2008?

·
Premium Member
23,794 Posts
Have you done anything with the head bearings? I have ridden about a dozen wings that belong to customers and they all did it. This has been a very worn subject on this forum. Or is your wing a later 2008?
Nothing done up front. I had the wobble when I bought the bike with 8,400 miles. Been through another set of M/T and had the wobble, only I can't recall at what mileage I noticed it . The more it was talked about on the forum, the more curious and conscious of it I became. Could be just a coincidence so far. I'm not betting on anything here and when and if it appears I will step forward. I'll have the All Balls installed when I need some fork work. I'm pretty sure that won't happen before I wear out these tires.

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
The Elite 3 is what Honda recommends and so far I have had VERY good luck with mine.
Where does Honda recommend that tire? None of the 1800's came with E3's as OEM tires. The OEM tire is Dunlop D250 I thought. And on the 2012 Honda is using the Bridgestone 709/704

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
The Elite 3 is what Honda recommends and so far I have had VERY good luck with mine.
Where does Honda recommend that tire? None of the 1800's came with E3's as OEM tires. The OEM tire is Dunlop D250 I thought. And on the 2012 Honda is using the Bridgestone 709/704
I will check...but I seem to remember at some point that Elite 3 was the preferred tire for Goldwing. I have been wrong before.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
I will check...but I seem to remember at some point that Elite 3 was the preferred tire for Goldwing. I have been wrong before.
Should have checked first....Wrong again:eek:
Here are the tire specs for the 2002.

Attachments

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
130/70R18 M/C63H Dunlop is what parts microfinche has. Which is a D251. This is an 03 wing. This may not be stated in a book but having a VERY good relationship with my local Honda dealer (over 25,000$ spent there last year on parts for customers bikes) I can ask them about any thing on MY Wing and get a GOOD answer.

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
That's a good relationship you have going there 2003. Em, I have a certain amount of accessability to the parts sytem too ya know;);)

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
Our Canadian system has two levels of security so you have to get authorization to access the online system. Everything is electronic now, no free standing fische anymore, so you're hooped without the login and passwords and required permissions.

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
Canadian multi-line dealer. Honda/Polaris/Husqvarna/Argo. Part #'s should all be the same, but cost and retails will be different. Some of the Honda tools (especially TPMS reset unit) are not available up here either, only available to US dealers:confused:

·
Registered
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have heard that from some of my suppliers. We take care of our city's police cars and have to reset the tpms every time we repair or rotate tires. Some things just do not make a whole lot of sense in this industry. One of my suppliers web sites gives me access to their parts lookup as a buyer from them.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts