Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2021 dct tour
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently drifted off of this site and went to the GL 1800 forum, it is set up the same way and looks to be run by the same people, however With one noticeable major difference, I was able to talk about my bike in sport mode without being chastised too much, I could talk about taking twisties at a higher rate of speed and people would get in and talk about how fun it is. Then I entered a conversation about darkside tires, I had no idea this was actually entering a cult , I made a big mistake, I argued the Need for a designd tire for the bike, and I will never do that again,never. I don't even think I will speak of tires again after this. Then I noticed it was a staff member leading the charge on this This issue when questioned he summoned as many friends as he could Quickly I heard "Gary you want to get in on this"!! Several of them came out to give me a verbal beat down.. I was blown away. My ass kicked. I ran back here. As an electrical contractor hiring maybe 600 to 700 electrician personalities all the best according to them, its awsum, however one thing is you have to listen to learn that's why I want a forum for my riding and general qw experiences. Thank you all for that. Understanding the need for grown men to be absolutely right I engage and want to discuss listen and learn,I try to understand but I must draw the line with a beat down,so I went back to this forum. Even though this site really doesn't care for you to trash anybody's oils or talk in any derogatory way whatsoever.. everything seems to be a little bit quaint.. and would rather have it that way I guess.I'm a little younger I thought I would go with the flow, but some they seem to be flowing down the drain .... America the land of the quaint, and the home of the overly obnoxious. I'm just Finding middle ground my brothers. Anybody have experiences?

·
Registered
428 Posts
It is funny you mentioned you think both sites are run by the same people. About an hour ago, I was writing a response on the other site and it went down for Maintenance. So, I clicked on this one and it was also down for Maintenance with the screen showing identical message.

Your message about being blown away is okay with me. Everyone has their own opinions about a lot of things. Tires being one of them. I personally put a car tire on a Burgman 650 that I also installed a CAR Type Cruise Control for that bike. It was my Hobby to See what I can do to it.

My Pet Peeve is when someone asks a question and they get many non answers like: I don't have one. Or, I have XX or I would never.... So, if they can not answer the question then why CHIME IN?

·
Super Moderator
12,267 Posts
If we bash, it's normally in jest. I've heard many horror stories from the other forum.

Reactions: Limpy45

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
A site might be “hosted” by the same company which means it runs the same software that presents the forum so you may see similarities and they might be down at the same time.

The sites are actually”run” by the admins and the rules for behavior start with them. The demeanor of the group is very much determined by the users coupled with the oversight of the admins.

If people expressing their opinion and disagreeing with your point of view (while not using personal attacks/profanity) is considered a beat down then if I were you I would avoid the Internet all together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 dct tour
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Well car tires have been put on motorcycles since the invention of them. It's a lesson learned never chime in on a tire conversation , no matter what you think ...how do other people know that, know no matter what you know .How do They know, that you actually know anything ? Especially when you were assumed not to know It', it's best just to stay out,a big 10-4 on that

·
Registered
2021 dct tour
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the lack of users seems very low already, same ones primarily, I wouldn't run off new young users that may be around awhile Mr luv2fish. At 58 I'm past bullying, I like to discuss .But wisdom tells me not to discuss tires ,religion or politics. There's certain types to avoid, My mormon neighbor Is very intelligent we talk all the time I am not mormon that is OK. People are already making other choices Facebook and other means to communicate you don't want to run them off this forum

·
Registered
2021 dct tour
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Administrator
29,011 Posts
So as an Admin here that has been on the site in the early days. Let me point out a few things @Realife

1) Many and most active folks consider the GWOF a family. We can go back and forth on topics, we can disagree/agree, we can jest, we can prod on a topic. But when folks are confrontational, outright nasty......they don't last long here.
2) I do not know where you got this "Can't talk about being in Sport Mode" synopsis from but I can assure by a quick count at least a half dozen or maybe dozen folks here that you would most likely be aghast at how fast they ride and how well. I personally did the wheelstand thing on your era bike before you did (that I guarantee) and with my wife in the pillion too. Now mind you it was not intentional but at the same time it happened and the Honda reps were there too. By the way I am not counting myself in the aforementioned dozen.;)
3) Most forums that are mainstream are under the Vertical Scope ownership and as such have similar layouts. What sets these forums apart are the Admin/Mod teams and their community, and what they will tolerate as "normal" behavior. As I said if things get out of hand, we the Admin/Mod team here will make quick and concise decisions. Things do not fester here. Also if it is apparent that someone doesn't "play" well with others, they are dealt with quickly.
4) We (the team) will be in tune to a new member and they will not even realize it. Case in point is yourself. You came on and in short time jumped into discussions with opinions, questions and even some sarcasm in your posts. Not a bad thing and certainly a way to become an active person in the community. I and a few other of the team took notice. Now when I say that, it doesn't mean you were being watched, but it tells you how diligent we are.
5) My advice along the lines of @Luv2fish is chill, and just enjoy the place.

Finally and lastly
6) There are other forums????🤔

:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
the lack of users seems very low already, same ones primarily, I wouldn't run off new young users that may be around awhile Mr luv2fish. At 58 I'm past bullying, I like to discuss .But wisdom tells me not to discuss tires ,religion or politics. There's certain types to avoid, My mormon neighbor Is very intelligent we talk all the time I am not mormon that is OK. People are already making other choices Facebook and other means to communicate you don't want to run them off this forum
I’m just a regular old user (not an admin) and occasional rider. I also wanted to hit the lower 48 states on my wing but since I retired a few years ago I’ve missed the mark a bit. Still time as I’m only 64 and not yet old enough for the geezers club yet.

As @fossil92 ; said this is a great site to meet others and discuss things related to motorcycles and other topics as well. Certainly didn’t want you to think I was suggesting you leave the forum.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2021 dct tour
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great, Men are never so likely to settle a question rightly as when they discuss it freely.
"McCaulay" quote
I think that's the way it works, you arrive at a goldwing age, buy one . Start looking for accessories and run into the knowledge of a forum. If I wasn't to sitting on ass with my wife whom has cancer , I would be busy doing something,I wouldn't be here .so if some open conversation comes up especially bikes I'm in .I love it. I'm playful by nature, sarcastic, a dry sense of humor that goes down like the hindenberg at times. But never mean . Hopefully I will not be a recurring phenomenon and stay.✌

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
😏 Now Fossil .................................. enquiring minds want to know?:ROFLMAO: Did I get into the top half a dozen Sport Riders. It is a tall order, so maybe I made it into the top dozen. This is a forum where you can meet up with some of the best people and have some fun times both on the bikes and off the bikes. This is a forum where we love and respect our women. I am big on respect and the last thing that I want to do to someone is to not respect them and their ideas. One of the best things that we have been able to do is to come to the USA and get to know members on a personal bases. You can do this a lot easier than us and you will gain some real good friendships.
Now you can not be the first to come Down Under and ride with the Hoon but I can show you around some of the best parts of Down Under. Now If I was to brag a bit ............................ you would have to go a long way to find a better well travelled Aussie to show you around.

:whistle:I tell you ......................... those Geezer Gang are going to have to put up with an Aussie Geezer real soon.

·
Administrator
29,011 Posts
😏 Now Fossil .................................. enquiring minds want to know?:ROFLMAO: Did I get into the top half a dozen Sport Riders. It is a tall order, so maybe I made it into the top dozen.
Sorry Mate, I am not putting my list out there. The riders I speak of know who they are.

🤣

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Most of the people here have ridden many years and have seen and done just about everthing. The thing I have noticed on other sites is that some members are there to belittle others and others don't know what they don't know, so I just mostly lurk and laugh. Just hang in there and 😃

·
Registered
2021 Gold Wing DCT
135 Posts
Too much drama.

·
Registered
1996 Honda GoldWing Interstate, Candy Spectra Red, and of course, with drive shaft.
65 Posts
Well car tires have been put on motorcycles since the invention of them. It's a lesson learned never chime in on a tire conversation , no matter what you think ...how do other people know that, know no matter what you know .How do They know, that you actually know anything ? Especially when you were assumed not to know It', it's best just to stay out,a big 10-4 on that
Oh, I don’t know…I had a question and a reference to a discussion about darksiding, and here, did not feel abused for the question, and overall learned some stuff. So I have to consider that an enriching experience. But that may just reflect on the general population here as opposed to your other contact.

·
Registered
2021 dct tour
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Totally, I have a ten year old son, live in Pacific Northwest, riding most of the year, hitting 140 on a new bike, I wouldn't do it. Living somewhere else, warmer on a different bike I might, It had to do with velocity rating, it's a car tire on a bike with a name, somebody mentions putting them on everything even sport bikes I got involved .I would not. You should ask ,that's how you learn. People are helpful here CBlistener you should indeed, your life depends on it. I've had 2 people go down behind me,one on a cbr 1000 on a corner, he's paralyzed, my cousin hit a median he was ok other than taking to hospital to get gravel scrubbed out.so be safe car tires have always been on motorcycles not my topic anymore

·
Administrator
15,305 Posts
I enjoy a spirited ride, but haven't tried the sport mode much as yet. I guess I'll need to give it a try. The roads around here aren't that conducive to leaning much. That's why I head elsewhere whenever I can. (Texas Hill Country ride coming up with RayJ next month.) There are more than a dozen I've ridden with from this forum who can really get on it in the curves. I'm not in Fossil's dozen but have my own thoughts on whom he is thinking of....... 🍻

·
Premium Member
11,278 Posts
I enjoy a spirited ride, but haven't tried the sport mode much as yet. I guess I'll need to give it a try. The roads around here aren't that conducive to leaning much. That's why I head elsewhere whenever I can. (Texas Hill Country ride coming up with RayJ next month.) There are more than a dozen I've ridden with from this forum who can really get on it in the curves. I'm not in Fossil's dozen but have my own thoughts on whom he is thinking of....... 🍻
Fossil let me down as gentle as he could by saying he is not revealing the top riders. So you are in good company Mark. :ROFLMAO:

·
Administrator
15,305 Posts
Fossil let me down as gentle as he could by saying he is not revealing the top riders. So you are in good company Mark. :ROFLMAO:
Yeah, you and I will have to console ourselves. I figured that I would knock myself instead of asking. But he does have me curious and I've been running names through my head........

1 - 20 of 28 Posts