Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do the 5' 7" peeps feel on long hauls.

Any shoulder, arm, back discomfort ?

shopping, reading, reviewing ... no question about reliability. Curious about cost to make it my own fit and cant tell about long haul comfort on a 25 minute demo ride.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Mods

Definitely want to add highway pegs...I'm going to have the space kit for the handlebars added, too. I get a pain in the upper-center of my back...the spacer moves the bars up and back toward you, should alleviate that problem. the wing is a great bike...some complain about it, but the complaints are usually pretty picky, which supports the idea that if you have to look so hard for problems, you probably have a pretty good machine. It certainly gets my vote!

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm 5'7 and did several longs hauls on my pretty much stock wing with very little discomfort.

However, once I installed highway pegs and the Utopia Backrest, my comfort level went up a couple of notches. I am able to stretch out every once in a while when I feel the need.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
The riders who have the most comfort trouble on the Wing are those over 6 foot. Ever wonder why most of us Wing riders are short and wide ? All the daddy long leg fellows are stuck riding the Harley's.

·
Super Moderator
15,238 Posts
The riders who have the most comfort trouble on the Wing are those over 6 foot. Ever wonder why most of us Wing riders are short and wide ? All the daddy long leg fellows are stuck riding the Harley's.
not to sure about tall guys and harleys cause most of them that i know ride a wing, bmw, or a connie. my very good friend don at 6'8" says even stock a road king saet is too low and the cockpit is too cramped for him. his rides a '93 cbr 1000 and a '95 se anniversery edition. both bikes have a custom seat to raise him up about 2 inches and the wing as a 3 inch taller windshield

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes. I definitely noticed that the sitting position is upright, dare I say, erect. On those long hauls on the VTX, I often lean back on the backrest and use the highway pegs. Foot on top of peg, boot heal up against pegs, few different positions on the floor boards ... you know provides a few different riding positions to keep from tightening up especially on those 500 mile days through NC/VA/TN mountains.

Thanks for the feedback.

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
Yes. I definitely noticed that the sitting position is upright, dare I say, erect. On those long hauls on the VTX, I often lean back on the backrest and use the highway pegs. Foot on top of peg, boot heal up against pegs, few different positions on the floor boards ... you know provides a few different riding positions to keep from tightening up especially on those 500 mile days through NC/VA/TN mountains.

Thanks for the feedback.
I came off a 1300VTXC. After 200 miles I had to be wheel chaired to the front door. A 400 miles day is easily done for me now and I'm still erect. If you experience an erect lasting more than 400 miles you might be on a Wing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dats funny, Chop ...

My 1800 keeps me pretty excited ;)

·
Super Moderator
28,446 Posts
Any shoulder, arm, back discomfort ?
This will not only affect you folks that are vertically challenged but anyone due to the layout of a Wing.

The guys have you pointed in the right direction - Add a Backrest & highway pegs & you'll be good to go. I do a very similar thing with the highway pegs, will move around on them even throwing the heel right up on top.

One last thing that could go on is because the Wing is a true heavy beast you may find yourself over gripping the bars & trying to manhandle her. This will cause pain in between the shoulders & upper back. Keep a loose grip on the bars & the Wing will be responsive.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Good point fossil. Too many times the pinch between the shoulders starts with a death grip on the bars. You have to relax first for things to be all good. Then the things such as the backrest and highway pegs can really show their worth. One of the things I've found is Wings are comfortable enough that you have a tendency to sit too long in one position. I try and conciously adjust myself every 15-20 minutes to avoid it. Keeps you more alert as well.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
The riders who have the most comfort trouble on the Wing are those over 6 foot. Ever wonder why most of us Wing riders are short and wide ?
Chopin couldn't resist after all the hard time people gave Eric about his height and now you are saying, from experience no doubt, that we are all wide across the butt. My question is, "How wide is wide?"

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Dunno about you Redfox, but I'm more worried about Chop being erect like that:eek:

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Chopin couldn't resist after all the hard time people gave Eric about his height and now you are saying, from experience no doubt, that we are all wide across the butt. My question is, "How wide is wide?"
Wide here. 5'10" and have the physic of a football. NOT a football player! After 4 hours on my erect bike.... I am looking for a gas station.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Actually I'm under 6' (gravity has compressed my vertical stretch some over the last 30 years) now but my RC is pretty much the same dimensionally as a CBR1000. I'd like to see a pic of detdr's buddy Don on his CBR at 6'8"...I fold up on the RC not unlike a monkey doing something carnal with a football:eek: @ chop, you started something really out there with that erect thing:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Man has this forum gone down hill . Started with guys putting Lingerie on the bikes, and getting together to pick out a Bra, now we have the erect thing running rampant, and the Administer and Moderators joining in. :eek: Where will it end :eek:
:D:D:D

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Wouldn't life be dull without this place LMAO

·
Premium Member
23,771 Posts
I'm 6' 180lbs lean and mean( mean meaning, average ). "How wide is wide?" you ask. Width is the ratio between girth and height. Width is measured differently between men and woman. A women's width depends on your point of reference (i.e. your position and distance from before or behind ). A man's width is always measured from the before.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
Chopin - If you are going to run for some public office I want to be on your campaign team. Your ability to say something and leave me scratching my head and reading it over and over blows me away.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts