Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all you Fellow Goldwingers!

Just like Dan, I too have been waiting as long as I can remember to be able to say that. My dad had Goldwings (a new one every 3 years) when I was growing up and I swore to myself that the first one I rode would be the one I purchased!

That dream came true 2 days ago when I flew out to Fort Worth from El Paso and purchased a 1995 Goldwing Aspencade for a very good price.

It's got 72000 miles on it (704 more since my wife and I rode it home) and now that it's here I'm still having to pinch myself and I keep going to the garage to make sure it's in there!

Well, now that the honeymoon and 700 mile test ride are over, I have questions since with any 20 year old machine, it has problems.

I have break fluid coming up out of the right side of the handlebars and hitting the windshield (and me) at highway speeds.

I read a forum post about the relay that makes the "Temp Gauge, Fuel Gauge, O/D Gauge and Reverse Gauge (and reverse itself) work.

I was adjusting the air for the added weight of my wife when all those gauges came back on, but the next time I adjusted it, they all went off again. It's almost like there's a short somewhere.

I haven't had time to check the relays (because I just read it) so I'll post what I find when I do.

Ok, next question. My cruise control stops at 76 (which in 1995 might have been fast enough) but now, with 80 and 85 MPH speed limits is not. I'd like to set it to 88-90. Anyone know how I can do it?

The Hazards don't work and I can't find a fuse for that?

The Mute and Cruise Control buttons stick. I thought about just spraying WD-40 in there, but I'm not sure if that would hurt the electronics.

Lastly, does anyone know a good replacement windshield? Mine is so scratched up that when I'm going toward the sunrise/sunset or oncoming traffic at night, the glare is so bad it's hard to see threw.

Well, that's probably enough for now. Thanks for any help ya'll might have and I look forward to becoming a Lifetime Member soon!

Sgt Charlie
El Paso, TX

·
Premium Member
11,298 Posts
Congratulations on your new to you wing and welcome to GWOF from Down Under. It is worth getting it fix up. I find when I get an old bike you have to fix all the little things that the last owner has not keeped up to scratch.
But thankyou to the last owner of my 1995 1500 it was in top condition. A little bit like how I keep my bike.(the 1200)
Try tightening the screws on the brake res. Get some water and clean where the brake fluid off the pain ASAP.
The mute and cruise needs electrical cleaner and work the buttons to get them operating again. Try eletrical cleaner on the hazard button.
The rest of the things someone will chime in.

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
Hello Sgt. Charlie....Welcome to the GWOF.....No chance you are stationed in Fort Bliss is there? Reason I ask, my son (at present in Kandahar) is stationed at Bliss. Good luck with your new Wing.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Been there... Done that!

Hello Sgt. Charlie....Welcome to the GWOF.....No chance you are stationed in Fort Bliss is there? Reason I ask, my son (at present in Kandahar) is stationed at Bliss. Good luck with your new Wing.
Yes, actually I am stationed at Fort Bliss! What BDE/BN is your son in?

I'm in the 86th Signal Brigade at present. When I was with the 101st Airborne (Air Assault) Division out of Fort Campbell, I visited the lovely country of Afghanistan also! Operation Enduring Freedom 10-11

Sgt Charlie

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Good luck with your Wing.

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
Sarge, 1stly welcome to the GWOF from PA. 2ndly Thank you so much for your service to our country. 3rdly I had a 95SE, the cruise would set above 75 on my bike so it may just be an adjustment. I'm not sure exactly sure where that may be however I may suggest that you pick up a service manual. You can usually find them on ebay or sometimes here in classified. Lastly the buttons sticking are a somewhat common occurance from dust & such. You DO NOT want to use WD so you chose wisely. Go to a local Radio Shack or such pickup a can of Electrical Contact cleaner, spray in the switches really well & follow it up with some compressed air to blow the crud out. All will be fine. WD actually will add a film that attracts even more dust/dirt.

Enjoy the site & the new ride.:happay:

·
Super Moderator
15,178 Posts
hello sgtcharlie, welcome to GWOF. there might be a seal under the cap of the brake resevrour cap, also check the banjo bolts

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts
Sarge, welcome from Oklahoma.
My 95se cruise would only set at 75. But I found a link on the Steve Saunders forum that shows how to swap two wires, and the cruise will set in triple digits now. If I can find the link I will post it. I did not cut the wires just swapped them.

·
Premium Member
5,335 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,426 Posts
Welcome sarge

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
Yes, actually I am stationed at Fort Bliss! What BDE/BN is your son in?

I'm in the 86th Signal Brigade at present. When I was with the 101st Airborne (Air Assault) Division out of Fort Campbell, I visited the lovely country of Afghanistan also! Operation Enduring Freedom 10-11

Sgt Charlie
I have racked my brain and can't remember his BDE/BN....I do know he is a Combat Medic PFC Alexander Mosley with Charlie Company right now. He was at Fort Sam Houston and moved to Bliss. For some reason I want to say 41st Infantry.
I know Bliss is a massive operation, but it would be hilarious if you knew him.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Fort Bliss is HUGE!

I have racked my brain and can't remember his BDE/BN....I do know he is a Combat Medic PFC Alexander Mosley with Charlie Company right now. He was at Fort Sam Houston and moved to Bliss. For some reason I want to say 41st Infantry.
I know Bliss is a massive operation, but it would be hilarious if you knew him.
No, I don't know him. He's probably in the 4/1 (Pronounced Four-One)

It's 4th Brigade, 1st Armored Division.

I don't know him but I'll keep my eyes open at the PX when he comes back.

Sgt Charlie

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
No, I don't know him. He's probably in the 4/1 (Pronounced Four-One)

It's 4th Brigade, 1st Armored Division.

I don't know him but I'll keep my eyes open at the PX when he comes back.

Sgt Charlie
I appreciate that....Coming Back is #1 Goal at this time....

·
Super Moderator
12,308 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. Thank you for your service.

Is the brake handle firm when pulled?

There are many replacement windshields available. Check with WingStuff, they have good assortment.

Make sure there are covers on the fuse and relay panels and that all connections are clean.

·
Premium Member
24,510 Posts
Welcome Sarge!

·
Premium Member
7,936 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF, Sgt. Charlie and congratulations on your nu2u Wing! Thanks also for your service.

Many experienced GL1500 owners here to help. In general, highly recommend a good manual and check out the Steve Saunders goldwingfacts.com site. This is the funnest Wing forum IMHO:happay:, but Saunders is very informative.

I had the front brake reservoir leak when I first ran Tatanka. Just a missing seal; no sweat since. You'l probably want to change or at least check tension of the timing belts, even if they have been changed.

Look forward to hearing about your progress and trip reports!

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Everyone

So hey,

You're welcome to everyone that said thanks for my service! I'm actually pretty "Old School" in that I believe that it's an honor and privilege to serve our country.

Also, I gave her a good washing and the hazards started working and the mute button stopped sticking.

I'm a little ashamed to say it, but I don't know how to remove the seat! Can someone explain it to me.

Thanks for the tip on the cruise control (as soon as I figure out how to take the seat off) I'm going to rewire it.

Taking an all day Mentorship ride with my Battalion on Thursday and as soon as I get off of leave I'll be the Company Motorcycle Mentor because I've got 23 years riding experience. (Should have never opened my mouth! :)

Got the front wheel ordered and on the way. It'll be installed on Friday. Going to do a full tuneup and checkup on her as well that day.

Thanks again for all the "Hello's" and replies!

Talk to ya'll soon!
Charlie

Attachments

·
Administrator
29,085 Posts
To remove the seat go to the passenger handles remove the two flush caps & beneath them you will see two allen bolts. Remoove those (2 each side) and the seat will lift off.

Very Nice Ride by the way.:3dcool:

·
Banned
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
More questions.

To remove the seat go to the passenger handles remove the two flush caps & beneath them you will see two allen bolts. Remoove those (2 each side) and the seat will lift off.

Very Nice Ride by the way.:3dcool:
Thank you very much for letting me know how to remove the seat. I plan on doing that today and messing with the cruise control to see if I can get it to set higher than 78.

I really need a manual. Do you guys recommend Ebay or Amazon?

Also, it seems to be running hot (though because of the glitch, the gauge doesn't show anything); where do you fill it with antifreeze?

Ok. Thanks again for all ya'll's help!

Sgt Charlie

1 - 20 of 33 Posts