Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,001 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at the Clymer manual for 1984-1987 GL1200 Wings, I saw a number of troubleshooting recommendations for misfires at idle and high speed. None of them applied. When all else fails, pay attention to what the bike is telling you, right? Like everything is fine when he's warmed up; no misfires, quick throttle, etc. Hmmm.

Long story short: 4 intake pipe O-Rings later, and no misfires even when cold. The new rings were about twice the thickness of what they replaced. My guess is that they were the original O-Rings, which means 27 years of compression against the head. While parts were cool they let in some extra air, running too lean. When warm they seated tight enough to eliminate leakage. Now I'll re-synchronize the carbs just to make sure all is right.

If you are dealing with older carbed Wings and have misfires until warm or worse even if warm, the test is simple: Shoot a little Gumout or starter fluid at the base of the intake tube and if it revs, there's leakage. And only a $15/20 minute fix with OEM parts.

·
Administrator
28,996 Posts
Good work & post. Thanks for sharing with the site.

·
Registered
674 Posts
very nice example of keeping it simple. great work, thanks for sharing. I would suggest using a small propane torch with a vac line attached this way you will not wash a dirt into the combustion chamber. also Carb cleaner may damage some plastics.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts