Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I brought my new Goldwing home yesterday. The dealer told me I don't need to bring it back for service till 4,000 miles. And they have to do the service or my warranty is void. That part I know is BS but to go 4,000 miles before you change the oil seems about 3,000 miles too long. What are your thoughts? He did say to come back after about 600 miles to check the idle.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The book tells you 4k is the 1st service, but I changed oil at 400 miles then again at 4k. Old habits die hard.

·
Premium Member
23,773 Posts
A pre- oil change before 4,000 miles is not a bad thing to do. It comes from the days of " break in " thinking. One can't be too excessive about oil changes, but one can be paranoid. Drive it sensibly for awhile, NO RACING around. If you have an oil drain pan do it yourself at 1,000 miles and feel better for it. You can even go one step further and order the wrench, filter, MAGNETIC DRAIN PLUG and crush washer kit from WingStuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I will change it around 1,000 miles. I just don't feel comfortable letting it go 4,000. I changed the oil in my Silverado after around 1,000 and went with synthetic at that point I have 40,000 on that now so my next question is is it too early to do that with the Wing. Change it and go with syn.

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
Nope.... Not too soon if that's the way you're headed. Go ahead and make the switch.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Oil is cheap, I have 4,000km on mine and have changed it 3 times and twice for the diff. I had a Harley before my Goldwing and i clocked up 100,000k before i sold it i replaced the lower cylinder head gaskets because they started to leak, let me tell you that the inside of that engine was like new, it still had the scuff marks on the cylinder walls.

Like i said before oil is cheap, so if you feel like changing it go ahead.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Good suggestions, all of them. One other thing to look at, if fact before you go another mile you might look at it.....check the differential gear lube. When I checked/changed mine at 500, only about an once of lube was in there! Honda seems to be famous for not putting much in at the factory.[???] Replace it with a good synthetic oil as per the manual, and you will not have to do much there for a long time.
Welcome to our little family!! We are glad you are here!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The manufacturer cannot void your warranty if you service the bike yourself. Keep receipts and records incaes you need warranty work.
Change the oil, filter and final drive fluid between 500 and 1,000 miles, you can go with synthetic oil any time you want. Some do it at first oil change others wait for a couple thousand miles to do.
show this to you dealer
http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the help. It will be awhile before I put any miles on. Its winter in MA. and salt on the road. Gives me time to stock up on oil and filters and all that.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would have the frist pm done at 4000 just to have it on record.Cost me 197.00 this way if you run into any problems your covered. This is the info i got from a friend that works for honda. You should do a oil change in the frist 600 to 1000 miles to get the factory oil out. Hondas motor shop is not the cleanness place and lot of debris get in the motor when there being assembled. Wait until at lease your second oil change or 10,000 miles to change the final drive as honda puts more moly in it for break in reasons. Also Check your final gear oil the factory a lot of times don't put enough in. Most good dealers do this for you.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I wouldn't wait 10,000 miles to change the final drive fluids, That stuff is nasty.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
While it isn't required, there's certainly peace of mind in knowing that the oil is fresh and there's no filings etc in it (same for the rear diff). As for voiding your warranty without the 600 mile service that's bunk. Like Joe said, save all your receipts and log your maintenance in your manual and you're good to go.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I absolutely agree with Joe- I did a 600 mile engine and rear drive differential oil change and the diff oil was FILTHY. It concerned me so much so that I did another diff oil change at 700 miles to clean out the rest of the black residue. The magnetic plug was caked full both times and oil was dark black. I did another eng/diff oil changeout at 2000 miles. They were both much cleaner but still not what I would call clean. I just completed my own 4000 mile service last week and both oils were significantly cleaner this time. The magnetic plugs were only about half full this time. The service took less than an hour to do (and I was thorough- using the service manual). Sorry, I can't see paying someone almost $200 to do something as simple as change the oil, drain the vent tube and inspect a couple items. I will take it in for the next service since it is a little more comprehensive. Has anyone else had this experience with the rear drive oil?

·
Registered
109 Posts
If you use dino rear gear lube, it will be dirtier than if you use synthetic gear lube. I don't know why, but the oil folks say it is the "nature of the beast."
Just make sure your differential is filled to the proper level. When I changed mine at 500 miles, when I took the drain plug out only a trickle of lube came out....I refilled with AMSOIL synthetic and so far its still full and looking just a little dirty...nothing in the magnetic drain plug.
Be safe, ride often....

·
Registered
36 Posts
The smell in the gear oil is the moly will look darker in color and is dino oil. At 10,000 i will change mine to synthetic gear. Gear oil doesn't get that hot i would just check the for the correct level and change at 10,000

1 - 15 of 15 Posts