Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took a ride on HWY 25 in Leeds, Al. Lots of twisties and switchbacks. Add some rain and it was hazardous. On one of the switchbacks I dropped down a gear and fishtailed....My life passed before my eyes. Which brings me to my question:
If you are negotiating a U turn switch back at 20-25mph...Can you do the entire turn in 4th or do you normally drop to 3rd?????

·
Super Moderator
28,451 Posts
Here's an Ole Fossil's Opinion on your question. I'll relate it to my Formula Car racing days. The issue is one of weight transfer not so much the speed. By downshifting to 3rd as you did (Into the turn probably?) at that point the weight you are/carry moves to the front of the bike thus making the back of the bike light (fishtail). The alternate would be to stay the course in gear & if anything roll on the throttle which will transfer weight to the rear. Downside of that is the Grey area of running out of road. The absolute best situation is to anticipate prior to that, brake, downshift & roll back on throttle for complete control & feeling.

Hope this Helps. I'm sure others will share their opinions as well.

·
Super Moderator
9,851 Posts
I have always found the 1800 to have the ability to accelerate in 4th gear from a very low speed.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the quick replies. The 1800 seems to have enough torque to pull at a high speed.....I panicked thinking I would stall. Several elements contributed; Rain plus a truck riding me tight. Fossil is right about the weight transfer.....seems easier when I am riding 2 up.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Living about 1 mile from where you are talking about, I use 4th 1up, 3rd 2up and never have a problem. Should have hollered at me. If you came thru Leeds on 78, you passed my shop about 1 1/2 blocks before you turned right on 25. 25 is not the best ride for a wing, slightly to tight of corners. Give me a call next time down.

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Pete, I was hoping you would reply. It was a spur of the moment ride. That was my first time on the Wing. Last time i was there it was a C50 Boulevard and it was dry. I tried to look for your place "House of Horsepower", I believe. Didn't think you would be around on a Sunday. 25 is still a cool ride, just not in the rain, with a truck on the hitch. I will definitely let you know next time we have a plan. Thanks again for the answer.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I've always found making sudden changes in just about anything mid corner is iffy at best. Can cause all kinds of problems if you are not real used to your bike. Like Fossil noted, running out of road is bad, and high/low side slides are not good either, either of which can happen if you're not prepared.:eek:

·
Registered
470 Posts
I made that mistake yrs ago on my 750K Honda, I just got on the hiway from work, went about 2 mi to an exit ramp that was nearly a 360 sweeper (cold tires) I was in too fast,but, what got me was shifting down...too far & then letting the clutch out TOO fast..like I said..cold tires & too quick on the clutch..down I went, surprisingly little damage..just a few scrapes..one knee & the bike. I was wearing gloves, had one of those snap on flat face shields..good thing, I slid on my face about 10 ft & scraped that thing pretty good! Would have been my chin!:eek: Lesson learned!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
BTW, the worst part was the guy in a cage right behind me, he stopped & as he was rolling down his window he could barely contain himself..he was laughing his a$$ off..but managed to ask if I was OK.:D I just picked it up kicked the front fender more or less straight & carried on my way.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
1,404 Posts
I always maintained that you are to decelerate in a straight line.
I decrease speed, downshift and lower speed before entering the curve-usually between 1800 and 2200 rpms, there is no fishtail. If I really misjudged, at least I am slower than I would have been. If I estimated correctly, I maintain speed at current gear. If I over estimated the curve, the throttle is waiting as I have rpms to spare.

This is how I navigate both curves and turns. and the passenger greatly appreciates it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts