Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Tomorrow, Deb and I depart for Fredericksburg, 300 miles southwest in the Texas Hill Country. This is a birthday gift from my wife as I prefer to do trips for gifts rather than get stuff. This is our first overnight trip on our Wing and our first long ride together. Today my order from Wingstuff arrived minus the armrests I ordered for her. That was disappointing as I wanted her to be as comfortable as possible. Installed the luggage rack and luggage rack bag which will store our rainwear and lighter gear. The J&M headsets arrived as it will be nice to chat while riding. Our plans are to stay at a B&B within walking distance of downtown Fredericksburg as the weather forecast for Friday calls for rain. If it does rain we can wear rain jackets and walk around the town. Not sure if the blue bonnets have played out yet however the wildflowers are equally as impressive. Fredericksburg is a German town as I understand their schnitzel is fantastic. There's great riding at the Three Twisted Sisters and hiking at Enchanted Rock. Our plans are fairly unstructured as we'll enjoy the long ride down and back and hang out in Fredericksburg doing what Deb also likes to do, browsing the shops. We'll be taking lots of pics for us and you and will post on our return.

·
Premium Member
643 Posts
Have a great ride. I rode through Fredricksburg in '94 on my way to home state of Georgia. There is quite a bit of history right around there. Spent the night in
Bastrop in a real Southern down pour with lightning and the whole works. Was glad to be in a nice motel with pool and restaurant.

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
The Bluebonnets are on their last legs now. But the yellows and reds are still popping. If your coming down Hwy 281, go south about 3 miles out of Burnet and turn west on Park Rd. 4. It runs past Longhorn Caverns and is a pretty drive. Its about 12 miles long or more and takes you back to Hwy 29. Take a left there to Llano and from there South to Fredricksburg. As you arrive in F-Burg at the main light, on your left at that corner is a German Restaurant that has great food. The name escapes me at the moment but there is always a line there. OK, I looked up the name of the restaurant and its Wheelers. Parking will be a booger so take the first place you find. Town will be crawling with people as always. Here are a few shots of what Pk. Rd. 4 looked like 2 weeks ago. When you get to Llano, stay on Hwy 29 across the red light and about 1/2 mile on your left is Cooper's BBQ. A good but rather expensive place for BBQ. The ride from there to F-Burg is a nice ride too. Enjoy...Isaac

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,505 Posts
Have fun, ride safe & we will expect pictures.:D

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Hope you and Deb have a safe and enjoyable time.

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Bluebonnets are on their last legs now. But the yellows and reds are still popping. If your coming down Hwy 281, go south about 3 miles out of Burnet and turn west on Park Rd. 4. It runs past Longhorn Caverns and is a pretty drive. Its about 12 miles long or more and takes you back to Hwy 29. Take a left there to Llano and from there South to Fredricksburg. As you arrive in F-Burg at the main light, on your left at that corner is a German Restaurant that has great food. The name escapes me at the moment but there is always a line there. OK, I looked up the name of the restaurant and its Wheelers. Parking will be a booger so take the first place you find. Town will be crawling with people as always. Here are a few shots of what Pk. Rd. 4 looked like 2 weeks ago. When you get to Llano, stay on Hwy 29 across the red light and about 1/2 mile on your left is Cooper's BBQ. A good but rather expensive place for BBQ. The ride from there to F-Burg is a nice ride too. Enjoy...Isaac
Issac, thanks for the route and food tips. And your pics are really beautiful. I love what appears to be a monarch butterfly in one of the flower pics. Love your Wing too, a very fine machine. You were holding out on us with these pics and your recent ride down into blue bonnet country. Like you said they may be gone now as there's a narrow window on these beauties. I figured they were out earlier this year with such an early spring but this has been our first opportunity to get away. So it was nice to at least see them through your eyes.

Thanks all for your well wishes for a safe trip and I'll keep a travel log going here each day. I won't have the lap top to upload pics but will have my iPad at least to keep the log going. We'll do the pics on Sunday. If any of you have been down into this incredible area of Texas on one of your previous ride trips and have a must see/must do/must ride route throw me a bone here and we may check it out. Thanks all.

Dan & Deb

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Issac, thanks for the route and food tips. And your pics are really beautiful. I love what appears to be a monarch butterfly in one of the flower pics. Love your Wing too, a very fine machine. You were holding out on us with these pics and your recent ride down into blue bonnet country. Like you said they may be gone now as there's a narrow window on these beauties. I figured they were out earlier this year with such an early spring but this has been our first opportunity to get away. So it was nice to at least see them through your eyes.

Dan & Deb
Well, I only live 20 minutes from those shots. The butterfly is a Red Admiral. By the way, I have never seen so many butterflies in my life. They are everywhere and after a ride your bike will look like its been in a paintball shoot out. Bring lots of windshield cleaner. Be careful and enjoy. Isaac

·
Super Moderator
15,140 Posts
ride safe, have fun, and if you use glass cleaner make sure it doesn't contain ammoina

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
ride safe, have fun, and if you use glass cleaner make sure it doesn't contain ammoina
Yea, your right. I used to use Plexus but the price has gone from $8 a can to $26 a can. That was the best stuff I ever used.

·
Administrator
25,936 Posts
Shiny side up Dan and Deb! Isaac, you gotta be kidding..$26?!! That'll be $35 up here:eek:

·
Registered
5,086 Posts
Shiny side up Dan and Deb! Isaac, you gotta be kidding..$26?!! That'll be $35 up here:eek:
Hey Daryl, I am serious as a heart attack. It went straight from $8 to $26 bucks. The EPA got involved and there is even a "Hazardous Shipping Charge" attached and it can only be sent by ground transportation. That is if you order on line. In the store its a straight $26 smackers. Now If you happen to have several cans laying around, I'll give you $10 bucks a can plus shipping. If you can find it cheaper, let me know since I have checked everywhere from Sporty's to Cycle Gear. Stupid huh?

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
Dan and Deb,
I hope you guys have a great trip. I am jealous, wish I could take my wife on a 3 day ride to the Hill Country but it's just not in the cards anytime soon anyway....way to busy.
Dan, there is a great museum in town the Nimitz museum...I think that's what it's called but if your wife isn't into that kind of stuff she may not like it, my wife did because she was in the Navy. There's plenty to do there even without the museum.

Have a great time, ride safe and take lots of pics, looking forward to hearing about how it goes.

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
By now you have your first day in. Hope you are having a great time.
I would caution against riding at night out in the country, lots of deer in that area, long story there but be carefull.

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lesson #1: Don't ever try to install the J&M Elite headsets in 2 modular helmets the same day you're leaving on a ride trip. I darn near threw in the towell and said phooey on it but persistance won out as the Nolan N90 modular took about an hour and Deb's HJC modular took about 30 minutes. Had to carve lots of foam. So that cost us about 2 hours as we didn't depart until 11:15am. The headset install however was worth it as we thoroughly enjoyed listening to the radio and chatting during the ride.

It was a rather warm ride today with temps in the mid eighties and winds appeared to be gusting at least 25mph. The Wing however was a champ in the winds and we stopped several times to get inside an air conditioned store to get cold drinks. As we rode 84 west of Waco, the wildflowers showcased the shoulders of the road with incredible splashes of color. Occasionally we'd see a patch of bluebonnets however they're nearly played out now. Traffic was light for a week day as we ate up the miles cruising about 75mph indicated.

Our first meal (lunch) was Tex Mex and the food was pretty decent. I loved the tamales the most. Riding thru Waco on 84 we later intersected with Hwy 281 and headed south towards Lampasas.

Lesson #2: watch for route changes in towns as I kept going in the same direction that I had ridden into Lampasas. About 15 miles later the road sign said 183. Oops, we were riding southeast towards Austin instead of southwest towards Fredericksburg on 281. I pulled over and pulled out my iPhone and found a route west back towards 281 on FM 963 that would take us into Burnet. Despite my oversight this 30 mile detour was worth it as we not only saw more bluebonnets but found a rather unusual clustering of cactus on a hilltop that we stopped for a photo op. This 2 lane road had some fun twisties and was nice getting off the 4 lane highway. We got back on track in Burnet and rode south through Marble Falls and into Johnson City named after President Lyndon Baines Johnson. In Johnson City we headed west on 290 for another 35 miles to Fredericksburg at sunset. 400 miles and 8 hours later we arrived in Fredericksburg. It's been a busy week for both of us as we hadn't booked any room reservations and just rode around a bit and just wanted to be within walking distance of downtown. We checked out one of those older motel motor courts that have duplex style units with mini kitchens. We checked out the room and walked straight to the bed to test and we said nope. Down the street was a gorgeous hotel made of Austin limestone and we pulled to the entrance and there out front was parked a red Honda GL 1500. I knew this was the place and didn't even need to test the bed. It was a tad more expensive but the room is very nice and the bed is fantastic. Unfortunately, all hotels appear booked for the weekend as we could only get 1 night. Not sure what we're gonna do tommorrow night for lodging. We walked two blocks to dinner at a German restaurant as we both had schnitzel, with red cabbage and spitzel and German Pancakes with apple sauce. German food is very heavy to me as I don't recall ever cleaning my plate at a German restaurant. After dinner we strolled the downtown area scoping out shops we want to visit tomorrow. I believe one of those said fudge on the front window. BTW, I noticed the GL 1500 in front of our hotel was missing both side covers. I bet he removed fearing someone would take. What's the chance of losing both covers on a trip? Because of rain in the forecast I just covered my bike as I figure out of sight, out of mind. Well that's all for now.

·
Premium Member
7,170 Posts
Dan....your route sounds like the one I will be traveling next weekend, when I go to San Antonio to pick up my Soldier. Tell them, I will be on my way Thursday.
Keep up the reports and tell Deb you will stop in a minute;)
Ride Safe

·
Super Moderator
11,944 Posts
Sometimes the unexpected route is the best. :)

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
If you ride the twisted sisters, keep a wary eye for the critters. We had beaucaux deer and wild turkey roadside on our trip down there last Spring, even though we avoided riding at dawn or dusk. Beautiful country down there--hope you and Debbie have a great time.

·
Premium Member
7,561 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
If you ride the twisted sisters, keep a wary eye for the critters. We had beaucaux deer and wild turkey roadside on our trip down there last Spring, even though we avoided riding at dawn or dusk. Beautiful country down there--hope you and Debbie have a great time.
Will, I rode the Three Twisted Sisters last summer and fortunately didn't have the critter problem then but did have a mess of them in the Davis Moutains. Back then the west Texas wild fires had the animals on the move and it was scary. Ron warned us also to stay off the rural roads after dark as I think he had a story to tell of a previous trip he did down this way and animal encounter.

The most I did today bike wise was to pack our clothes duffel bags back in the saddlebags because our hotel told us they were booked tonight and had no room at the inn for us. So we checked out, loaded up the bike and covered it and asked the hotel if we could leave it for a few hours while we walked up to main street (2 blocks) and looked for some decent coffee. We debated taking rain wear however radar on the iphone showed a storm cell about to hit Fredericksburg. Within 10 minutes the bottom fell out and the rain came and the temperature dropped to chilly. We were about the only folks in town wearing rain jackets and were glad we did. Reminds me of my previous Boy Scout training: Be Prepared.

We saw lots of Harley's rolling into town as most were in rain gear. I did see several 1800's and one of which, my dream bike; a yellow one. We spent most of the afternoon walking in and out of shops. I personally find that very tiring and eventually all the stuff starts looking the same. When that happens I'm spent and it's time for me to shut it down and head back to the room. I can only take so much shopping. In our case we had no room so we talked about riding to the next town to the north, Mason, and look for a hotel. We got back to the bike and Deb pulled out her jeans to change out in the hotel bathroom. I asked Deb to check once more about room availability and sure enough they and one with a king sized bed. Works for me as we booked back in, unpacked the bike and have been relaxing a bit. While I was out front the fella with the red 1500 walked up and he told me he was from Dallas and had trailered his bike down because his wife doesn't ride. He said on the way down one of his side covers blew off. Funny, I asked him about the other missing cover and he said he only lost one. I distinctly recall walking around his bike twice and he had 2 covers missing. Oh well, wasn't my bike and not worth arguing about. When I first saw his bike yesterday parked in front of our hotel I thought, folks were stealing 1500 side covers here and this guy was playing it safe. I wondered if I shouldn't follow his example and do the same. I thought about it for about 5 seconds as I covered my bike and kissed it good night.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts