Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The GL 1800A Owners Manual states oil change with new filter takes 3.9 quarts of oil and the You tube video made for GL1800 says 4.0 quarts. Which should I go with?

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
From the posts I've seen here and elsewhere 4 quarts is the name of the game.... I've always put in 4 quarts.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Pour it all in!

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
buy a gallon and pour it in, run 3,000 miles drain it out and repeat

·
Registered
119 Posts
Either way is fine. If in doubt, follow the manufacturer's recommendations. I wonder if they put 3.9 or 4 in at the dealer? I probably won't find out because I don't want to pay $100. for a 15-25 minute, easy job.

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
buy a gallon and pour it in, run 3,000 miles drain it out and repeat
Ok Joe; I just gotta ask. Can I stop someplace along the way or do I haveta ride the 3000 at one time.:D
Just had to ask.:rolleyes:
Dump in Four quarts and Go !!
From the Northwest Corner
Ron

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Ok Joe; I just gotta ask. Can I stop someplace along the way or do I haveta ride the 3000 at one time.:D
Ron
Run it the recommended mileage, 4K for #1, 8K ever after. Don't waste money or oil!
Change the filter-dump in a gallon and go!

·
Registered
60 Posts
4 quarts in my 1500 too. Seems to work for me. I like round numbers. My '03 Toyota Corolla calls for 3.9 quarts too. I put in 4 quarts of Mobil 1 and call it good. 107,000 miles so far.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the dealer do my first oil change. I can't get a socket wrench to go on the plug squarely, so I couldn't use a torque wrench. Do the rest of you just do it with a box wrench? Maybe this off topic--if so, please delete & I'll repost.

·
Registered
741 Posts
There is absolutely no need to use a torque wrench for your oil filter. The standard is 1/4 turn after the O Ring makes contact, some filters state differently and just follow their directions. If you follow these guidelines, it is impossible to overtorque the oil filter. There is no oil change franchise (I.E. Jiffylube, etc) which uses a torque wrench. There are those that use one but it is what they are most comfortable with and that's fine.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Oil

Ron
Get a couple sets of oil...one dino the other synth to avoid any controversy, and rotate them at 3K intervals to give them time to recharge! :D

cr..4 quarts is fine...as someone said there's prolly .1 qt stuck on the inside of the bottles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had the dealer do my first oil change. I can't get a socket wrench to go on the plug squarely, so I couldn't use a torque wrench. Do the rest of you just do it with a box wrench? Maybe this off topic--if so, please delete & I'll repost.
Dookoo--Thanks for your reply re: torque wrench & oil filter. My question was about the drain plug. Sorry I didn't make that clear.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
The four quart amount is for a completely 'dry' engine as in after a re-build. Regular change and filter is 3.9 as some of the engine cavities never completely drain. Correct torque spec for the drain plug is 25 lbs/ft with a new crush washer.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Ronlyke, my apologies. I read your post in haste and misunderstood. Yes, I use an impact wrench for my drain plug! Joking, please don't.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts