Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,
I have a black full face modular/flip up HJC IS-MAX helmet. I like it a lot in cool weather, but in warm/hot weather I wish I had a 3/4. It has been in the 90's this weekend and my head is roasting. The ventilation on the HJC IS-MAX sucks to put it bluntly.
Any suggestions as to brands, weight & price for 3 quarters? I want to order something soon.
Rob

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
I have a Bell 3/4 it is ok but I would prefer a lighter helmet!!

·
Premium Member
23,766 Posts
I have a " Fulmer " open face. About $75 dollars, but not comfortable. Tolerable, just not comfortable. My bad for not getting a flip-up visor . I would think that " ordering " a helmet would be risky business. Size is a factor that is different with each brand. I'm going to try out a half shell today that has been sitting around the house for awhile. I'll just gamble I don't hit any rain.

·
Super Moderator
9,844 Posts
I have a Arai classic and like it a lot. I've also had Shoei and it was good also. Both are somewhat expensive..

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I have an Arai classic/M and it is light and fits great, If you get a white helmet (which my Arai is), it will be cooler than a black or dark colored one. And it will help others see you.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Mail order may be the cheapest way to go, but you can not put a price on fit. You can't tell on how a helmet will fit you through the mail unless you can try one on for size. Have you tried any of the wicking helmet liners? Cooling vests or the bandana style of cooling devices out there?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Just purchased a a Nolan N43 ncom- It has a internal sun visor and external shield.
On warmer days I ride with the outer shield up with no apparent problems. It is also easily removeable. So far so good. Wing stuff had the best pricing.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I bought a open face 3/4 HJC FS-7 ?? I think was the model number. I hate a full face helmet. I am a real Bell fan but this helmet is Snell rated and is much more comfie than the Bell I tried on. I had a Nolan 3/4 before and found it sloppy but comfortable.
The HJC was reasonably priced and has a good ventilation system.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Shoei J-Wing (open face/white) for me at 100+ degrees in Las Vegas. I ride year round with it and it keeps me pretty warm in the winter and comfortable in the summer (although at 100+, you're going to sweat in any helmet).

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi RKP

Nice to meet you. In winter here in Arizona I wear a full Shoei. I'd like a flip up verson one day. In summer I wear a 5/8 HJC. I call it a 5/8 because it isnt a 3/4 and not a Hailwood soup bowl either. I feel protected in the HJC and it is comfortable in the heat ( more or less).

I have removed all eye protection from it and rely on the WS and my glasses. I would like to wear glasses that fit over my prescription glasses but havent found any to suit. I didnt like goggles. I hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
15,235 Posts
i wear an hjc ac-3 for most of the year and an hjc cl15 for cold weather

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
I have an HJC half-lid (black leather covered) with removable ear/neck pad; an HJC IS-33 o/f in silver (so does my wife, she also has a half lid like mine, only in gloss black), and I have an Arai Vector ff in silver for inclement/cooler weather. Half lid is getting a bit long in the tooth, but can't seem to part with it, although I know I should replace it.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks all for the input. I ended up ordering a HJC-IS-33. I have a full face HJC now which I like so I figured their 3/4 should be decent. If not, I'll send it back.
Rob

·
Registered
155 Posts
Check out the new Shark. It can be a little pricy but is very functional. Gives you a full face and/or a 3/4 with the lower half pushed all the way back behind your head. You can find them for under $300 if you look around. The BMW dealer here in Maryland Sells them for two something. Great helmet, I really like it.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Look into a EvoLine, Shark helmet. I love it. Full face and converts to a 3/4 with the lower half all the way behind your head.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sorry guys to be such a party pooper, but a full face helmet will provide you the best protection when you go down. I used the same full face helmet in the warm summer months of riding, but I just keep my face shield up and used my riding glasses to protect my eyes. I rather be just a little uncomfortable and wipe the sweat away at my rest stop then to go down and turn into the Elephant Man cousin with road rash on the side of face and chin.:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I would LOVE to see helmet manufacturers make a 3/4 helmet with a thin bar across the front for protection. Imagine the old timey football helmets with a single bar across the front. Then you would at least get SOME protection in the event of a face plant but still get the ventilation you need. Seems like a reasonable compromise. They could even make it so that it rotates up and out of place or click into place. For me, the heat of a full face in the summer in south Alabama is a serious safety issue itself and that is why I wear a white 3/4 Shoei in the summer and a black full face in the winter. The bar across the front might look strange at first but would just take some getting used to. Maybe I should patent that idea...

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I had the same problem with a Black Arai Classic (Boiling brain). Had it painted in a lighter color (same as the bike) that made a huge difference. Now I have a HJC Yellow.
Noisy piece of plastic!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Regarding the HJC IS-33 (3/4 face, drop down "sunglasses", and flip up shield). Do any of you good folks know if the flip up shield can be replaced with a duckbill visor?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jesirob,
No clue on the duckbill. I've ridden now two days with my new HJC IS-33 and love it. I've been riding with the clear flip up shield up most of the time and it's no big deal. The built-in sunglass shield is awesome. The flip up clear shield is crystal clear when down (no distortion at all). When the days get cooler I'll start wearing my full face again.
Rob

1 - 20 of 23 Posts