Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. New member here. I just bought a Gl1500. 1991. I drove it from Salt Lake City to Florida....

Cold most of the way.... Sunny in the south...

When I got home I called the local dealer to get a tune up.

Champions Honda in Cocoa Florida says they do not work on bikes older than 10 years because the parts are discontinued.

Any thoughts?

Lizzard

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
hello lizzard, welcome to GWOF. call around to other dealers and independent shops in your area if you don't feel comfortable doing the work yourself. not all dealers have the 10 year rule

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
First welcome to the forum from Pennsylvania. Seems strange since the GL1500 was around for 13 years. Seems like there should be an abundance of parts available. You might want to check the web for OEM parts distributors and get the parts yourself and take them to the dealer.,..

·
Super Moderator
7,670 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum.
Congrats on the new 2 U GL1500.
If you don't mind coming up to the Daytona Beach area for work, this shop comes highly recommended by the locals. All Out Powersports 921 West International Speedway Blvd. Daytona Beach 386 310 7884. The mechanic is Brandon Clark for Goldwings.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Over half my " friends " I ride with on this forum have Wings older than the 21st Century. My local Honda Dealer in Manassas, VA has pre 1800's in the waiting area. They work on them. It's regional preference.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Welcome from Alberta lizzard. We have dealers here in our network that do that, but not us. I can see some of the why's involved, but for the most part they don't really apply to Wings, other bikes sometimes have a rough life, not so much with the GL's. It's something to discuss with the individual service manager/writer I think.

·
Super Moderator
28,449 Posts
Welcome lizzard. Look around there will be some dealer who will work on it.

·
Super Moderator
15,241 Posts
Over half my " friends " I ride with on this forum have Wings older than the 21st Century. My local Honda Dealer in Manassas, VA has pre 1800's in the waiting area. They work on them. It's regional preference.
its not even regional it dealer by dealer. i have roseneau powersport in dearborn, mi and motorcity powersport in bloomfield hills,mi. and both are close to me and i have had other bikes serviced by each dealer but motorcity will no longer work on bikes over 10yrs old and roseneau will. i am fortunante that there are three independant shops in the area that specalize in wings

·
Premium Member
11,007 Posts
Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. I don't think any shop deserves my money for anything if they will not work on a bike over 10 years old. Find a shop that will work on it and give them all your work. Eric

·
Super Moderator
11,804 Posts
Hello and welcome to the forum. There's bound to be a shop in your area that will work on it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the welcome. I found a local guy that works on motorcycles. He has been working on bikes for nearly 40 years and loves the Goldwings and has many parts in stock.

I told the mechanic about chumpions Honda not working on motorcycles older than 10 years and he laughed saying he gets all their business, new and old bikes.

I wil Never give these guys one penny.

The ride was fantastic. All by myself for 2800 miles. Some skinheads sliced my rear tire in Rhome, Tx. while I was eating. I saw them buying knives at the Mobile station before I went in to eat. AAA and DFW Honda to the rescue. DFW Honda did a great job working me in!!

Great forum!

·
Premium Member
17,147 Posts
Welcome to the Forum Lizzard. The 1500 is a solid machine pretty much trouble free for the most part. Might want to hook up with some of the Wing riders in the area, many of them do their own service. oil changes exct. it's not hard. And they know of some good shops.

·
Registered
6,734 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Pa. Enjoy your new 2 u Wing.

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I've only ever seen/heard of this 10yr thing on this site. I've got an '83 Honda that needed a bit of work with no issues. My wing has a 7yr warranty, so 3 yrs after the warranty is done I guess I’ll just have to throw mine out and get a new one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts