Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed if a 205/55-16 tire is any harder to corner with than a 195/55-16, and what are the pluses or minus with the bigger 205 ? I am guessing that one is slightly lower than the m/c and the other is slightly taller.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isnt the highth of the 205/55 at 55% the width being 113 and the 195/55 at 55% being 107? Correct me if I am wrong but that is how I thought it worked. That would make the stock m/c tire 180/60-16 to be 60% for a hight at 108.

·
Super Moderator
12,982 Posts
Yes, you are correct. Chopin doesn't have a clue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I am thinking that the wider c/t tire is harder to throw into a curve than the narrower c/t , however the wider could be more stable on the straight . YES-NO-MAYBE ?

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
That is a pain....
You know Chopin speaks of a plug in his C/T.
We were having construction at work and there were metal shaving on the pavement. Of course they were in my tires and I was forced to replace the tire since I didn't know how deep it was.
Thinking back, I should have pulled it out and took my chances.....I was gonna replace it anyway.

·
Premium Member
24,459 Posts
That is a pain....
You know Chopin speaks of a plug in his C/T.
We were having construction at work and there were metal shaving on the pavement. Of course they were in my tires and I was forced to replace the tire since I didn't know how deep it was.
Thinking back, I should have pulled it out and took my chances.....I was gonna replace it anyway.
Still running on my rear car tire with a plug. Haven't had to add air since. Holding steady so far.

·
Premium Member
24,459 Posts
Isnt the highth of the 205/55 at 55% the width being 113 and the 195/55 at 55% being 107? Correct me if I am wrong but that is how I thought it worked. That would make the stock m/c tire 180/60-16 to be 60% for a hight at 108.
Start with a 195/55 / R16 KUMHO or other same size brand. Find out if you like it. There are a lot of riders who use the 205 width with no clearance problem that I have read or had personal contact with. The 195 is a sure fit.

·
Premium Member
24,459 Posts
I am thinking that the wider c/t tire is harder to throw into a curve than the narrower c/t , however the wider could be more stable on the straight . YES-NO-MAYBE ?
You are " thinking ", you aren't riding. Put a tire on it and ride. Ride like you normally do. Don't put so much psychology into it.

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
Start with a 195/55 / R16 KUMHO or other same size brand. Find out if you like it. There are a lot of riders who use the 205 width with no clearance problem that I have read or had personal contact with. The 195 is a sure fit.
I see the Kumho Ecsta is priced at $167 each. Is that a normal price?

·
Premium Member
7,098 Posts
I paid $195 +/- . Next time I will shop better. $40 of that price was Fed-Ex shipping. I'll by the next tire here locally.
My next tire may very well be a CT. Observing the boys in May will make up my mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.