Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed if a 205/55-16 tire is any harder to corner with than a 195/55-16, and what are the pluses or minus with the bigger 205 ? I am guessing that one is slightly lower than the m/c and the other is slightly taller.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Are there any clearance problems with either tire?
Come on up to the Tail of the Dragon in Robbinsville, NC the weekend of May 12th. There will be plenty of Darksiders there to answer your questions. As for the 195/55/16 : NO.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Isnt the highth of the 205/55 at 55% the width being 113 and the 195/55 at 55% being 107? Correct me if I am wrong but that is how I thought it worked. That would make the stock m/c tire 180/60-16 to be 60% for a hight at 108.

·
Super Moderator
12,269 Posts
Yes, you are correct.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Two weeks ago today I replace both tires on my 2010. There were a few sizes available but I chose to stay at the stock dimensions. But I did switch to the Elite III's but wanted the new Commander II's (The do not have a rear tire for the 2010 yet). What was great was replacing the rear tire again today thanks to a nail. Less than 700 miles. I am going to have the old tire plug-patched as a back up tire. I won't get into the whole should you or shouldn't you patch or plug a tire. The local dealers just refused to do it.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am thinking that the wider c/t tire is harder to throw into a curve than the narrower c/t , however the wider could be more stable on the straight . YES-NO-MAYBE ?

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Two weeks ago today I replace both tires on my 2010. There were a few sizes available but I chose to stay at the stock dimensions. But I did switch to the Elite III's but wanted the new Commander II's (The do not have a rear tire for the 2010 yet). What was great was replacing the rear tire again today thanks to a nail. Less than 700 miles. I am going to have the old tire plug-patched as a back up tire. I won't get into the whole should you or shouldn't you patch or plug a tire. The local dealers just refused to do it.
That is a pain....
You know Chopin speaks of a plug in his C/T.
We were having construction at work and there were metal shaving on the pavement. Of course they were in my tires and I was forced to replace the tire since I didn't know how deep it was.
Thinking back, I should have pulled it out and took my chances.....I was gonna replace it anyway.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
That is a pain....
You know Chopin speaks of a plug in his C/T.
We were having construction at work and there were metal shaving on the pavement. Of course they were in my tires and I was forced to replace the tire since I didn't know how deep it was.
Thinking back, I should have pulled it out and took my chances.....I was gonna replace it anyway.
Still running on my rear car tire with a plug. Haven't had to add air since. Holding steady so far.

·
Premium Member
24,120 Posts
Isnt the highth of the 205/55 at 55% the width being 113 and the 195/55 at 55% being 107? Correct me if I am wrong but that is how I thought it worked. That would make the stock m/c tire 180/60-16 to be 60% for a hight at 108.
Start with a 195/55 / R16 KUMHO or other same size brand. Find out if you like it. There are a lot of riders who use the 205 width with no clearance problem that I have read or had personal contact with. The 195 is a sure fit.

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
Start with a 195/55 / R16 KUMHO or other same size brand. Find out if you like it. There are a lot of riders who use the 205 width with no clearance problem that I have read or had personal contact with. The 195 is a sure fit.
I see the Kumho Ecsta is priced at $167 each. Is that a normal price?

·
Premium Member
7,122 Posts
I paid $195 +/- . Next time I will shop better. $40 of that price was Fed-Ex shipping. I'll by the next tire here locally.
My next tire may very well be a CT. Observing the boys in May will make up my mind.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts