Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Administrator
16,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is the first time I've made this ride. Ralphhumor (Steve - not very active on the Forum lately) was heading there from northern Kentucky with a couple friends. It sounded good to me despite the weather forecast. I pulled the bike out of the garage before the sensors turned the outside Christmas lights off.
Wheel Tire Automotive tail & brake light Fuel tank Vehicle

It was only about 100 mile ride to Stockton for me. The forecast was for a line of heavy rain/thunderstorms to pass through mid-morning. I left out ahead of them and had a nice ride east to US 98 and then around Mobile. Taking I-65 across the Mobile River and then a bit north to Stockton and the Stagecoach Cafe. Arriving a little before 10:00 there was about 30 bikes in the lot.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

More kept pulling in and Steve plus two arrived shortly.
Forehead Smile Hairstyle Facial expression Beard

He and Jason ride Goldwings, while their other partner Morris rides an Indian.
Wheel Tire Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

· Administrator
16,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Steve had ridden here last year and he said the lot was full and there were people parked across the street. Not this year, but probably 60 or more bikes showed up from all over. This Goldwing pulled in next to us. Chuck has ridden the War Horse on multiple True X four corners rides.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Motorcycle Helmet

That's riding to one of the Four Corners of the United States to the geographical center of the USA at Lebanon, Kansas. Then, ride to one of the remaining three corners and back to Lebanon, Kansas. Then ride to one of the two remaining corners and then back to Lebanon, Kansas, and finally ride to the fourth corner to complete the ride. Complete this ride in 26 days or less and become a USA Four Corners Tour™ True X finisher. That's just crazy to me, and he did it six times in one year. Look him up. Yes, that is an Alaska tag on that bike.
A lot of the Hoka Hey Challenge crowd showed up too. (Chuck is one of them too, when he in on his Harley)
Fuel tank Helmet Motor vehicle Tire Automotive tire

The Hoka Hey is an endurance ride around the country started in 2010. It's for v-twins of American vintage, so we don't qualify. There were lots of auxiliary tanks on the bikes. A few interesting bikes like this Honda Pacific Coast.
Wheel Tire Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle

And a Harley with a sidecar.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Automotive lighting

With the line of heavy thunderstorms headed our way a lot of people were gearing up and heading out by 11:00.

· Administrator
16,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Steve and his buddies headed north. I had thought about riding around a bit but heading into that line of thunderstorms I decided to get across the high bridge over the Mobile River before it hit. I made it and about a mile west of there when someone tipped a bucket over me. Traffic on I-65 slowed to 40 mph and we all eased south to Mobile. I got off and into the city to find a place to shelter while the worst of it passed. Glory be! I found a likely spot.
Shirt Hat Television Barware Cap

Oyster City Brewing doesn't distribute into Mississippi and I wanted to pick up some to take home. I had a pint of their Brother Joshua brown ale (only available at the brewery) which was excellent.
Drinkware Barware Beer Drinking establishment Beer glass

I sat in the corner of the bar and left a good puddle that dripped of my gear. By the time I finished that beer the rain had slowed to just a moderate drizzle. I picked up a couple six packs and a crowler of the Brother Joshua to go and headed back into the rain. The closer I got to the house the lighter the rain fell. It was a wet and chilly ride home, but I still enjoyed the day.
2022 for me wasn't a great riding year. I did manage to make two very good rides to North Carolina and another to Kentucky. But I only rode 10,507 miles last year. Stupid work gets in the way of a good time. I'll have to do something about that in 140 days.

· Administrator
16,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dang! That looks like a fun time, and a ride that you'll remember, for very long time.. Wish I'd live'd just a tad closerrrr, I'd be ride'n with you, if I could...........(y)
Ronnie 1/2/23
I'll be up your way eventually. I have a lot of places up in New England to visit.

Reactions: Luv2fish and Maui

· Super Moderator
10,442 Posts
Always loved those inpromto rides.

· Administrator
16,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looks like I made the right choice to stay home. I would have arrived there about 1130 local time. the heavy rain predicted scared me away. There's always next year. :)
You might have had an hour before the rain hit there. Then turning east could have stayed ahead of it. Myself, riding back west went right into it. The rain gauge at the house showed 2.7" fell. I know that I got a good soaking.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts