Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,
Been a member for about 20 minutes now. I'm picking up my 2021 Bagger manual on Saturday. In all of my new motorcycle purchases, I've always scoffed at buying an extended warranty. Mind you, they were all much simpler, less expensive bikes. This is the first time I'm seriously considering buying the additional 5 year road side assistance warranty for $1090. It seems prudent on an expensive, technologically complex machine. A few questions for the more experienced. Did you purchase the warranty? Can you negotiate a better price or add coverage of wheels and tires? I've done a decent search of this forum and most of the hits I've received are from years ago. Any advice would be appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
9,812 Posts
Welcome to the GWOF from NE Pa. Congrats on your new Wing purchase. If you are considering the extended warranty you might want to shop around. There are online places that offer the warranty at a much reduced price. I purchased the warranty when I bought my 98 SE from Honda Direct for half the cost of what the dealer was asking.

Reactions: Oldhand

·
Super Moderator
14,922 Posts
Welcome to you from Mississippi. As long as the parts that make it move and the parts that control that (electronics) are covered is what I would be sure of. Tires are normal wear items like brakes and bearings won't be covered anyway. Check around on prices and you might find a better deal. Enjoy the ride.

Reactions: Oldhand

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I purchased the extended warranty from Honda for about $700. The dealer threw in routine maintenance and free installation of any parts or accessories, including wear items like tires, for the life of the warranties.
When I closely reviewed one of my vehicle extended warranties I found out that it did not cover any of the entertainment systems or GPS. I can't recall if it covered the engine electronics and ABS.

·
Registered
2020 Goldwing Base - Dark w/ Red
33 Posts
I picked up a new 2020 bagger manual recently. I did get the Honda Extended Warranty instead of a 3rd party. I wanted something Honda would stand behind. I think like others I paid around $700. It does not include things that normally wear like tires, brakes, etc... which I would not expect it to cover. All the new high end bikes I have bought new in the past 4 years I have also purchased the extended warranty. I don't know if I will keep the Goldwing longer than the other bikes but when it came time to sell, the warranty definitely helped me sell the bike and for more money. On one bike I actually made money after 2 years.

·
Registered
2021 Metallic Black Goldwing Tour DCT
1 Posts
I’m also a new member; purchased my Tour DCT about 5 weeks ago and absolutely love it. I’ve had trouble with aftermarket extended warranty companies in the past, to the tune of $7K trouble on my ‘13 Victory Cross Country Tour (main tranny bearing came apart) and I swore I’d never have another extended warranty again.
Now I’m seriously rethinking that stance with my Wing. The dealer told me between $700-$800, I forget the exact number, and said I have until the factory warranty expires to purchase the Honda extended warranty. I think I’ll purchase the warranty from Honda and not another company since from what I’ve seen they really stand behind their products (cars s well).
I’m just wondering if I wait a couple of years if the price goes up…. 🤔

·
Registered
41 Posts
If you dive deep into extended warranties, and follow the money, extended warranties are a waste of money. Depending on the limits of the warranty and the price of them, the majority of the warranty cost, approximately 90%, goes to profit to the company. However, unless you have a very good financial foundation and can self insure, it’s wise to purchase the extended warranty as most people cannot afford the financial hit of a repair.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts