Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings WingDings. Has anyone added the foot shift yet, if so, any feedback?
I was banging through some Adk twisties the other day in manual, and it just felt unnatural trying to adjust to finger shifting. Thank you in advance.

·
Administrator
26,012 Posts
I haven't heard of any of our district dealers adding the foot shifter, I'll ask around and see if I can find any info.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I gave my 2018 Wing DCT a quick look to see if there is even a shift shaft down near the foot peg to add a shifter. If there is it isn't apparent on the DCT unless it is covered by some sort of cap or plug. This is speculative but my guess is that adding a foot shifter to the DCT transmission is not an option. If you want more aggressive shifting with the DCT transmission and don't like the handle bar shifter have you tried putting your Wing in "Sport" mode? That definitely kicks the Wing up a notch or two in engine response and aggressive shifting, both down and up the gears.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Looks like a fly-by-wire shifter. Interesting.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I was banging through some Adk twisties the other day in manual, and it just felt unnatural trying to adjust to finger shifting. Thank you in advance.
Which ADK twisties we talkin' 'bout?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Which ADK twisties we talkin' 'bout?

I have a place up in newcomb. Took a ride up via 28n. When I was leaving I went out to 87 via the blue ridge road.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Gotcha, good fishing and campground up there at Harris Lake. The area looks just like Downeast Maine where I grew up, alders and mosquitoes and all. We used to like the fried peaches at the ADK Hotel over in Long Lake. Enjoy those twisties, I just sold the house on Great Sacandaga Lake and I'm moving from Clifton Park to Charlotte at the end of the month.

·
Administrator
26,012 Posts
I've ridden a couple DCT bikes, but not the Wings. I never had an issue on either the VFR or the NC with the handlebar shift. But then I may or may not be what you'd call normal...>:)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've ridden a couple DCT bikes, but not the Wings. I never had an issue on either the VFR or the NC with the handlebar shift. But then I may or may not be what you'd call normal.../forums/images/GoldwingOwners_2015/smilies/tango_face_devil.png

Yeah..me either😉. A foot shift would do the work of 2 fingers...... and would seem more natural, when needed, than those paddles.

·
Administrator
26,012 Posts
OK, so here's what I found out from one of my dealer associates. While the foot shift may seem similar to the manual clutch shift models, something you have to be aware of is you can't blip the throttle to match RPM yourself. The DCT and the ECU already does that for you so all you have to remember is that there is no clutch lever to pull in. As I mentioned in the other thread, it adds unnecessary fuel into the system and messes with the electronic brain of the bike. Personally I would not spend the money since you won't have a 'live' clutch anyway. On the VFRs and NC models I've ridden it only took me minutes to get the feel of the finger paddles and once I did I had a ball with them. I am however used to paddle shifts on SxS units and the ES programs on ATV's so that could make it easier for me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OK, so here's what I found out from one of my dealer associates. While the foot shift may seem similar to the manual clutch shift models, something you have to be aware of is you can't blip the throttle to match RPM yourself. The DCT and the ECU already does that for you so all you have to remember is that there is no clutch lever to pull in. As I mentioned in the other thread, it adds unnecessary fuel into the system and messes with the electronic brain of the bike. Personally I would not spend the money since you won't have a 'live' clutch anyway. On the VFRs and NC models I've ridden it only took me minutes to get the feel of the finger paddles and once I did I had a ball with them. I am however used to paddle shifts on SxS units and the ES programs on ATV's so that could make it easier for me.
Hey...thanks so much for the info. Very insightful. You are probably right about the $. Better things to pick up. I think I'm going to try the Klockwerks curve windshield to start. That damn buffeting..

·
Premium Member
3,252 Posts
1 - 15 of 15 Posts