Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not an owner yet. Im contemplating going from a harley to a gold wing tour. The way the MOCO is voiding warranties, the new M8 engine issues. Im looking at the GW tour. My local dealer has both a 18 and 19. What are the differences if any between the two. I know the 18 was revamped and its always good to stay away from year 1 changes. Ive heard the term "niggles?" what is that defects, gremlins?

·
Premium Member
5,962 Posts
Not an owner yet. Im contemplating going from a harley to a gold wing tour. The way the MOCO is voiding warranties, the new M8 engine issues. Im looking at the GW tour. My local dealer has both a 18 and 19. What are the differences if any between the two. I know the 18 was revamped and its always good to stay away from year 1 changes. Ive heard the term "niggles?" what is that defects, gremlins?
I have an 18 and my good friend Ralph Humor has a 19 and I don’t think there is any difference!

I did purchase the first model year and had the same concerns as you, so I purchased the extended HONDA warranty for a total of 8 years unlimited mileage.

Make the switch you won’t regret it.

BTW I have had zero issues and I am riding the DCT.

·
Super Moderator
13,836 Posts
I was allowed to test ride both bikes mentioned above last month in North Carolina. Mark's and Steve's bikes are both DCT models and I didn't notice any difference. Both were awesome and those two guys will cost me a pile of money to purchase a new bike.

Not really, I was going to buy a new one after 10 years of riding my 2010. But I had planned on waiting until I retired. After riding theirs I don't think that I will wait.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an 18 and my good friend Ralph Humor has a 19 and I don’t think there is any difference!

I did purchase the first model year and had the same concerns as you, so I purchased the extended HONDA warranty for a total of 8 years unlimited mileage.

Make the switch you won’t regret it.

BTW I have had zero issues and I am riding the DCT.
I would purchase the service plan , i always do. they're to sophisticated nowadays to work on. I remember reading somewhere that it is not a true bumper to bumper, that certain and expensive electrical systems are not covered. Can anyone who has it attest to the fact it is bumper to bumper or certain things are left out?

·
Premium Member
5,962 Posts
I would purchase the service plan , i always do. they're to sophisticated nowadays to work on. I remember reading somewhere that it is not a true bumper to bumper, that certain and expensive electrical systems are not covered. Can anyone who has it attest to the fact it is bumper to bumper or certain things are left out?
If memory serves me correctly the audio/GPS is not included in the warranty, also any normal wear and tear parts.

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
No matter which one you get I would not get the extended warranty until the original factory warranty is almost up. Your wasting your money having it while the factory warranty is good.

·
Premium Member
5,962 Posts
No matter which one you get I would not get the extended warranty until the original factory warranty is almost up. Your wasting your money having it while the factory warranty is good.
Just an FYI Joe, the extended warranty adds 5 more years to the 3 year warranty. It does not start on date of purchase.

·
Registered
9 Posts
My wife and I traded in our 2014 Harley Tri-Glide on a 2018 Goldwing Trike with a Motor Trike conversion. We were told the only difference between the 2018 and 2019 were colors (no white for 2019, changed to black for 2019) and 2019 gets two keys. We wanted the white pearl so decided on the 2018. There wasn’t really that much difference in price. They gave us two keys anyway. This info. came from the dealer...so take that into consideration.

·
Administrator
26,011 Posts
The two FOBs upgrade on the '19 was likely from an outcry by US owners once they found out that the 2018 and '19 Canadian models came with 2 FOBs from the get go. But hey, we also get a tool kit (that Goldwings seldom need anyway LOL) and the US models have been without for several model years now. Not sure if all the part #'s are available down there but it will run close to $100 to fill the entire kit. Plenty more $$ up here I can tell you...

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Just an FYI Joe, the extended warranty adds 5 more years to the 3 year warranty. It does not start on date of purchase.
If you buy it at the time you purchase the bike and you sell the bike a few years later you will not get what you paid for it. That is why i say do not purchase it until the factory 3 year warranty is up. BTDT

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
All I know is the paint scheme on the 19 is nicer but for the first time in Honda history the red used in 2018 is exactly the same in 2019.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Do not get the matte paint. Every mark is virtually permanent, near impossible to fix the matte finish.
I have a 2018 GL1800/B. The engine is ticking on the right side. Took it to the dealer who currently has it. They are telling me the tick is an internal problem and they have to get into the engine to find the problem. It "should" be covered under warranty. I am aware of other 2018's that have the same problem. Cruiseman has a video about it. My bike has 5900 miles. Not happy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
In Australia, you re obliged to purchase the extended warranty at the time of purchase. Once you ride it out the showroom door, you cannot return
and then purchase the extended warranty, also this extended warranty in transferable upon you selling the bike. Also in Australia we get the two fobs
and no gps software, you have to have an Apple iPhone, and don't bother contacting Honda Australia, they never respond to any queries or Emails.
just saying.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Wizardfitz,
Sounds familiar. Don’t know if you made the plunge. I just traded in a 2014 HD Ultra Limited for a 2018 Goldwing. Why? The bike was pretty good in a lot of ways, but was a cash cow for factory maintenance. I had an extended warranty, so this was a check book bike. I went back to a Goldwing as I did / and will do most of the PM myself.
Positives;
- Go ride one - you’ll see right away.
- This bike is like a sport bike. Very agile thru the twisties
- 150# lighter than UL
- way more power
- reverse
- center stand
- TPM
- service cycle 8k vs 5k
- I would have had to pay $950 if I didn’t have extended warranty (replace water pump and rear shock)
Negatives
- loosing storage space
- I like the simplicity of the H-D bags and trunk - access, locking and removal for cleaning - great setup
- loss of street cred ( I’ve had both, it’s not a big deal)

·
Premium Member
3,730 Posts
I've never bought a new bike except for racing, so I've never had to deal with an extended warranty. Can the extended warranty be included in the insurance coverage. If the bike were totaled or stolen (I know, "God forbid either.") wouldn't that money be lost?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don’t know about that. I am told that I can cash in the remainder of my Harley warranty. I will check into it this week as I just traded in my bike for the Goldwing last weekend.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I. Ought the 18 and extended warranty’s. just came off a Harley SGS. Thus bike reminds me of my Kawasaki concours I had five or six years ago. Biggest factor was the discount they are offering 6 to 7 thousand off list price. This was I’m some 2019 models but a bit harder to find. Got my bike for less than 16k

·
Registered
14 Posts
Sorry about typos. Had a stroke last year that affected eyesight. Shouldn’t ride maybe but figure if time is limited I’m going out with my toys Quick note on warranty. The price is negotiable. It was 1.5 I think and I got it for 1.3 without too much effort. 8 years is a long tine.

·
Administrator
26,011 Posts
Sorry to hear Don, hope you get back into better health.

While pretty much everything is negotiable when dealing, there are differences in price and coverage compared to here in Canada. Max term is 84 months (including the 36 standard warranty so you get an extra 4 years not 5) total and $1900 out of the pocket. But if you factor in the exchange rate, it's sort of even then I reckon. However, there are exclusions on Honda Plus. Electronic items that are rider controlled (sound system, suspension, GPS etc) are often not protected.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts