Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My best friend picked up his new white 2018 Goldwing Tour last weekend and it's a beautiful bike but the size of the trunk is really throwing us for a loop. The bike is advertised as being able to hold 2 helmets, but we can't even get the lid to close down on 1 helmet. Granted, he did get the luggage rack installed and you loose a few mm's due to the screws from the inside of the trunk liner, but it shouldn't be enough to keep you from putting a helmet in there. He has tried a Shoei RJ Platinum R, a Shoei J-Cruise, and my Arai XC. His helmets are size 2X and my helmet is size L. We tried them in every position we could think of with no luck. Anyone else having this problem or figured out the trick to getting the helmets in the trunk?

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Looking at a 2018 yesterday, my XXL Shoei Neotec fit.
Standing up as normal (top up), it fit in the center, and it fit with the face shield pushed into the top right corner.

The 2018 trunks are hard to close when brand new. I closed the lid, then put the heel of my hand on the "HONDA" logo, finger under the lip, and squeezed the trunk closed.

·
Premium Member
6,131 Posts
i get both our Shoei Multitec helmets in there in medium size. Tight but it closes.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just had a thought, is there a floor liner in the trunk? What happens if you remove it? Maybe that and the bolt heads together are stealing enough depth to cause interference issues.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
I've only put my helmet in my '09 trunk once in 9 years...would never be an issue for me with an '18.

·
Registered
179 Posts
LOL, how do you guys manage on a trip when all three compartments are full?

·
Registered
485 Posts
Use the rack on top of the trunk, or the rack that fits into the trailer hitch receiver, or use the trailer. Don't carry more than you need. 2 - 3 days of underwear, 2 pair of jeans and a couple of shirts.

After flying in small planes for many years, my wife and I have learned how to travel LIGHT!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The trunk box is a lot smaller than the outgpoing GL1800 model.
I had one delivered to me for a test ride from the dealer I bought our last 4 GL1800 from.
We found our 2 helmets Schuberth C3Pro size XL and a Shoei Neotec size XS would NOT fir in the trunk.
We also tried to fit in the 2 x Shark Evo helmets sizes M and S and they wouldn't NOT fit.
We did get 2 Schuberth C3Pro sizes M and S into the trunk and managed to close the lid with a bit of pressure applied.

Bottom line is if you have a XL C3Pro you wont be able to fit another helmet in the trunk.
SO
If being able to get two helmets locked safely in the trunk is a priority to you, please take your helmets along to your dealer and try them.

I posted some pics and a ride report on my Facebook page, please read if you're curious -

https://www.facebook.com/winginit.org/

·
Registered
485 Posts
No one has mentioned that there is a helmet hanging device on the bike. I saw it and remember that it looked pretty cheap, and not that easy to use, but it still will secure the helmet to the bike.

·
Registered
9 Posts
No one has mentioned that there is a helmet hanging device on the bike. I saw it and remember that it looked pretty cheap, and not that easy to use, but it still will secure the helmet to the bike.

It will secure ONE helmet provided the helmet has a 'D' ring strap fastener. If the helmet uses the ratchet fastener like my Schuberth or Shoei flip fronts the metal fastener device is too thick and too wide to fit through the ratchet !!
Not been too well thought out :frown2:
The helmet hanger on the new Wing fixes in a latch slot on the left passenger seat grab and is opened by accessing the lever inside the left saddlebag. Its a pretty poorly though out idea as it will only work on certain helmets (with a D ring) and it'll only hold ONE helmet so if you're touring 2 up and the trunk is full of luggage your passenger will have to think of an alternative plave to leave their helmet :frown2:

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
The Dealer showed me the "Honda recommended" way to fit two helmets in the new Wing topbox/trunk. Both helmets on their side with the openings facing each other and the helmet tops going out to the left or right side. The helmet fronts (shields) facing the front of the bike. I didn't try it, as I was just out there for a test ride, but it looked fairly small for two helmets. If a 2018 owner is out there, give it a try and post a photo.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Dealer showed me the "Honda recommended" way to fit two helmets in the new Wing topbox/trunk. Both helmets on their side with the openings facing each other and the helmet tops going out to the left or right side. The helmet fronts (shields) facing the front of the bike. I didn't try it, as I was just out there for a test ride, but it looked fairly small for two helmets. If a 2018 owner is out there, give it a try and post a photo.

We tried every which way with our Schuberth and Shoei but no way would they fit.

Our friends wear Shark Evo and they tried them in every possible position, front up front down, facing each other etc etc but they would NOT fit into the trunk !!

Best to try your own helmets and see for yourself, IT'S A SMALL TRUNK WHEN YOU COMPARE IT TO THE OLD MODEL GL1800 !!

·
Registered
35 Posts
This is my first Goldwing so I don't know any better as I have always carried my helmet. On that note, there is no way I would lock a helmet on the side of the bike as that is a good way to get it stolen by anyone with a pocket knife. I wear a large Neotec II and even though I will be the only one on the bike most of the time and while I could put the helmet in the trunk, I will still probably carry it around as I prefer to let the helmet air out and dry up a bit before I put it back on.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I guess I must be a bit more trusting of folk but we always hang our helmets on the 2 helmet hangers on the underside of the trunk, on our Old Model GL18 of course.
Been doing it for 20years and never had any sort of problem with it.
When we're touring and the trunk is full of luggage the helmet hangers are VERY convenient and it means we dont have to walk around carrying our helmets. Probably more chance of damaging the helmets when carrying, or leaving them on the floor or table etc than leaving them securely attached to the bike.

Its a shame Honda have removed this facility from the new Wing. I know its only a small thing but it 's one of the features that made the Old Model Goldwing stand out from the crowd and helped make it the best 2 up touring bike money could buy :)

The helmet lock on the new Wing is not an improvement , its worse than the previous system. Here's a pic of it -

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I am sure someone will come out with an aftermarket part to make it more user friendly. I know guys that have had their helmet stolen, had drinks, and half eaten hamburgers stuffed down in their helmets when they returned to their bike. I paid about 1k for my current helmet so if I don't put it in the trunk, I will always carry it with me.

·
Premium Member
6,131 Posts
so, here you go, proof.

Left helmet is a large HJC 33ii Niro and right is a medium Shoei Multitec.

The 1st pic the Niro is in the bag.

3rd pic.....The pic posted with the Shoei and the shuberth helmets I saw somewhere on here that Shuberth looks HUGE.

So yes it’s a tight fit...but you can get two helmets in there.

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
so, here you go, proof.

Left helmet is a large HJC 33ii Niro and right is a medium Shoei Multitec.

The 1st pic the Niro is in the bag.

3rd pic.....The pic posted with the Shoei and the shuberth helmets I saw somewhere on here that Shuberth looks HUGE.

So yes it’s a tight fit...but you can get two helmets in there.
Hi, that Schuberth is mine and is a XL size and the Shoei is a XS size.
They do NOT fit in the new Wing trunk but it is possible to fit some brands helmets in there DEPENDING ON THE HELMET SIZES, IF YOU WEAR AN XL SIZE YOU WILL ONLY FIT 1 HELMET IN THE NEW MODEL TRUNK.

The helmet hanger which is now fitted to the new Wing is, I was told by a Honda rep, made for the helmets with the D RING type fastener and not the ratchet type as used on the Schuberth and Shoei.

·
Registered
35 Posts
What I'm learning is, if I go to Southern California, don't leave the helmet on the bike seat like I do everywhere else.
Actually, I have seen people that had far more issues in Virginia Beach than they have had out here in SoCal. Unfortunately, people can be very vindictive and damage your property. I don't take my Corvette anywhere that I can't keep an eye on it. My neighbor bought a new Challenger and I told him to be careful with leaving it in parking lots or others areas away from his control as young folks these days like to damage things for kicks. He told me he was not worried about it...until he came over to the house a few weeks ago and told me he left his car over at a friends house while they all went out and when he got back to the house someone keyed his car. It was not just a straight line that you might see with someone walking past the car. It was scribbled all over and he will need to paint the entire car to fix it properly. First thing he said when I answered the door is that he should have listened to me. Some idiot walked through a local Ford dealer a few weeks ago with a sprayer full of paint remover and just walked down the line in the middle of the night spraying trucks and ruined dozens of them. Again, not advising people not to put helmets on the side of their bike if that is what they like; however, I know I won't do it as I just don't trust others to respect people's property these days.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
There is no doubt that the helmet holder for the 2018 model is a sick joke and a real pain in the arse. As to putting helmets in the trunk I almost never do so it's a moot point to me. I've yet to have any issues with leaving our lids on the rear seat section (under our jackets as well) anywhere we've gone. We left our gear on the bike for two hours last year at Watkins Glen and nobody touched a thing. Just lucky maybe but it's never been a worry for us.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts