21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
WOW there is a radio on my 2018 too ! I didn't miss it at all :jestera:

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
A friend had a 2013 F6B and the raadio onthaat thing was very loud. Maybe on your test bike the AVC wasn't turned up all the way. You might retry it and check the settings.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
I know on the early 1800's people had the same complaint, so there was an item called Boost A Roo, I think was the mane, that was an inline device that gave the audio more volume

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you read my entire post?
Sound is not my only issue, but just one of many that makes me sorry for trading my 06.
FYI, I ride half the time with my 22 year old Authestic daughter as my pasanger, she will not even try on a open face helmet as she gets claustrophobic, so we ride around with half helmets, helmet speakers are out of the picture. When I’m alone and use my other helmet with the headset, apple car play keeps disconnecting from the headset. My point is, my biggest fraustration is not the Audio, but overall, I really don’t feel that I upgraded from my 06 GL1800,
I miss my old ride. The comfort, how quiet and how predictable it was. Owners that complain how loud their transmission clunks when they shift on the manual version, they are in for a surprise when they ride the DCT, and hear the loud clunks as it shifts, or how when your on a tight turn and the DCT decides to downshift right in the middle of a turn.

·
Super Moderator
28,128 Posts
I know where there is a really nice 06 for sale

·
Super Moderator
28,128 Posts
I would be if I didn't already have a plan that doesn't include a new motorcycle.:crying:

·
Premium Member
632 Posts
I have a good fix - on all my bikes the first thing I do is remove the front speakers and the antenna. Toss in the dumpster. Front speaker area makes a great storage area and I don't have to be concerned about all the added noise of a radio. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Don’t hold your breath. I traded my 2006 GL1800 for the 2018 DCT/Tour model last month. I wish I never did, so disappointed. Let me tell you the pros & cons.
1- You are absolutely right, my 06 had such better sound and volume that I could hear my music even at 100 mph coming out of my speakers. On my new one I can’t even tell what’s playing crusing at 75 mph. I have adjusted all the settings to max and still no difference.
2- Apple car play keeps disconnecting so I don’t use it anymore.
3- Everytime you start the motorcycle, you have to switch back to Bluetooth, you have to go back in your phone, open up the pandora app and hit play. So freaking annoying. On my 06 I had an aftermarket bluetooth set up through my Aux cable and had no issues,
4- They charge almost $30k for a new one and Honda doesn’t invest maybe $1 to have the switch for your fog lights & homelink already installed on your control panel. I spent a full day taking my new Wing completely in peace’s just to install a fog light. Open up YouTube and search for 2018 Goldwing fog light installation. It is insane how far you have to strip the wing just to replace the dummy switch with the actual fog lamp switch. Honda should be ashamed.
5- While removing parts & peaces, I found almost 1/2 the screws loose on the panels. I was shocked on quality control, I really thought Honda is meticulous with quality, boy was I wrong. I’m actually glad I took it apart, now at least I know all the screws are back on tight.
6- The DCT model....
It has such irratic shifting, if you ride like a grandpa, than the shift points are stable, but if you take off quicker from a stop to change lanes, good luck, the transmission has its own mind.
7- The seat on my 06 was so comfortable, I could ride all day with no problem, the new one has almost no cusion, the maximum is 2 hours and I have to get off and rest before riding.
8- The storage space is so much less, even with the trunk carrier being half the size of the older model, you literally have to pull a trailer if traveling with two people.
9- They took away the two helmet holders from the bottom of the rear trunk and replaced it with only one helmet holder on the left side rear passenger side. It’s a joke.

Overall, they upgraded the look, The front suspension which was the weakest link on the older models, the instrument panel is beautiful, the handle bar switches which was another weak part of the older models.

Honestly, If I could take this thing back and get my 06 back which by the way, it had close to 60,000 miles, I would do it in a heartbeat.
This is my 3rd Goldwing, but the 1st one that really disappointed me, especially with the amount of money I paid.

You live and learn. I should have waited a couple of years to read real rider reviews, instead of watching paid reviews before pulling the trigger.

I’ve included pictures of my old Wing next to my new one that I traded for. Also pictures of how deep you tear the motorcycle apart to install a .50 cents switch.
Be aware there is a shortcut to getting to that control panel. It saves 90 min on take apart and again on reassembly. I've done this twice now, it works. It is amazing how much effort is required to install various options. I love the bike (traded in my 2005 with 108k miles) for the 2019 DCT. I am seeking info on making the radio louder so I will continue to read thru this thread.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I find the radio does not have enough volume at speed. It is dependent on wind direction as to how bad I can't hear it. I bought four 5.5" speakers for an upgrade along with an amp to power them. Bought a Cardo headset to get Carplay to work and stopped right there. I have plenty of volume with the stock system through the headset.
Yes the new Wing has 4.5" speakers but I figured with an adapter plate I could make the larger speakers work and then power with the amp for some oomph. What I have tied up in that is a whole bunch cheaper than the Honda upgrade and lost saddlebag space. The headset really did it for me.

Anyone need some Polk 5.5 DB speakers and a mini-amp?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2015 AUdio Comfort ABS Nav etc. I have found that when I listed to radio or even a USB stick (I dont have Sirius) I need to crank up the volume a fair bit. However when I connect my phone (I have a USB receiver going to the AUX IN cable) it is significantly louder. WIth the radio/USB I need the volume at 15-20 depending on speed. With Aux in (via bluetooth) I keep the volume at 10 and often I turn it down to 8 and can still hear fine.

·
Administrator
26,311 Posts
I'm a music fan big time. But really, I often find myself just enjoying the ride with only the wind and nature's ambience singing to me. Guess I'm getting older...

·
Registered
25 Posts
I'm a music fan big time. But really, I often find myself just enjoying the ride with only the wind and nature's ambience singing to me. Guess I'm getting older...
Same here! But when I want to listen to music I want to listen to music and nothing else. I don't care how good a sound system is on the 18+ Wings there's no way I could tolerate anything going through speakers at highway speed. A good set of helmet speakers and your living the good life and don't even have to turn the volume past 10.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am in the can’t hear it camp. I guess that the Honda amp/speaker upgrade is better but I can’t see $1100 bucks and a full day + install. The speakers are still one way, not coaxial for that price. Show Chrome has 2 way but you get to spend another 175 bucks for these. I will certainly end up upgrading but I a waiting for a better aftermarket system. I really don’t mind spending money as long as the quality matches the price. Anyone that has installed the Honda system please let me know what you think of it.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Just crushes me to spend all that money on a new motorcycle and cant hear the radio better than the 2016 model. SOOOO happy with my f6b Matte, White 16 beauty!! 85MPH volume 20 sounds great!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just crushes me to spend all that money on a new motorcycle and cant hear the radio better than the 2016 model. SOOOO happy with my f6b Matte, White 16 beauty!! 85MPH volume 20 sounds great!!
Custom made in-helmet speakers and 85MPH volume at 10 and sounds amazing. Sorry, there's no place for speakers on a motorcycle, gonna sound like crap no matter how good the system is. Not worth the effort and money. Oh, and this is on a 2018 Tour DCT.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts