Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
When I downloaded to my computer, it did not show the file type, just the file name. It should have something like **.exe but there was nothing. I copied to the thumb drive per instructions and will try it in my 2019 tommorow. Damn I’m tiered of Winter.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just completed the navigation upgrade on both my 2018 day DCT and my 2019 DCT. I followed the instructions according to what Honda put forth and the operation went flawlessly. I have yet to take it out on the road and see if there are any differences, but I’m not sure I can tell you what the differences were. doing a little research but so far everything in the navigation seems to be working correctly. Here is a photo of the update in progress. The 13% is showing the amount of the last file being installed. The overall completion of installation is shown at 90%. Installation of each file is started over at 0% completed.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just completed the navigation upgrade on both my 2018 day DCT and my 2019 DCT. I followed the instructions according to what Honda put forth and the operation went flawlessly. I have yet to take it out on the road and see if there are any differences, but I’m not sure I can tell you what the differences were. doing a little research but so far everything in the navigation seems to be working correctly. Here is a photo of the update in progress. The 13% is showing the amount of the last file being installed. The overall completion of installation is shown at 90%. Installation of each file is started over at 0% completed.
Well, after two days after the upgrade of the 2018 navigation system which went off without a hitch, I am even more frustrated with Hondas onboard navigation. It does not seem to have any rhyme or reason to it. It is cumbersome to try to enter an address and save it for future reference. As a matter of fact, I couldn’t get it to save anything for future retrieval. It is the biggest mess I’ve ever seen.

but wait, I have Apple CarPlay. Our use the Apple Maps and canned navigate them without any. The problem I have with Apple play is staying connected. It is random disconnect and the only way I can get it corrected is to unplug the phone wait a minute, plug it back in the phone and wait for the Apple play to come up again. Well, that’s kind of hard to do when your phone is stuck inside a phone pocket behind a latch. You need two hands to unplug and plug it back in so that’s not a real good solution. I am very frustrated but what else am I going to do? I guess I can use a free standing GPS on the handle bar, but I didn’t pay $26,000.00 to have to do that.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Txdon 63, I have finally semi-mastered the Honda Trip Planner. It took some playing with it. I can now do trips in a few minutes and easily load the routes onto my '18 GW. Give it a try.
BTW, I downloaded the 2020 update via my MacBook. As advised previously in this discussion, I took the ".iso" extension off the thumb drive file and everything seemed to load fine.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have a 2020 Goldwing. My current software version shown on the bike is HG.ACM.19.03.26.09.02.00. I downloaded the update software from Honda and the version is HG.ACM.18.11.29.08.16.00 Which in my opinion may be older than what I have so I did not proceed with the update. Assuming a 2020 would have the latest software.
Can anyone confirm what software version you have?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Vale46, frankly unless someone writes down or takes a photo of their instrument panel at the end of the update it would be advisable to contact your Honda dealer for that information.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Vale46, frankly unless someone writes down or takes a photo of their instrument panel at the end of the update it would be advisable to contact your Honda dealer for that information.
Thanks Desert Rat. I will mention at the dealership when it goes in next. Thank you.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Can one upload this update file on a Microsoft Putter or does it have to be a Mac.

The instructions on the OP provided link seems to imply one would need a Mac to do this...?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not sure what a Microsoft Putter is but can certainly state that the Honda site gives two options for down loading the file: Windows and IOS. I down loaded the file onto my Windows 10 computer then transferred it to a NTFS formatted thumb drive. Took it out to the Wing and did the update without a hitch.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Not sure what a Microsoft Putter is but can certainly state that the Honda site gives two options for down loading the file: Windows and IOS. I down loaded the file onto my Windows 10 computer then transferred it to a NTFS formatted thumb drive. Took it out to the Wing and did the update without a hitch.
Thanks Desertrat,
It was my oversite, upon a second look I did notice the 'PC' option. Thank you very much...sorry about asking a question without carefully exploring the site. Anyways, thanks again

·
Registered
8 Posts
When I get around to trying out the Honda navigation update it will be to compare it to Apple Maps which is my current navigation system preference. The nice feature of using Apple Maps through Apple Carplay on the 2018 Goldwing is the convenient feature that all of the people in your iPhone contact list with a physical address can be easily accessed as the navigation destination. In addition, with a press of the button on the left handle bar control, the button with a face shown speaking into a phone, you can ask Siri for the destination to the nearest gas station, restaurant, bank, etc. then tell it to route you to that destination. Apple Maps also uses the TomTom map data base that does not require periodic updates with a USB thumb drive, so it must be done automatically in the background on the iPhone (?).

The big draw back to Apple Maps is the inability to create custom routes then load them into your iPhone, as far as I know. Who knows, there may be an app that does that but it has not been revealed to me yet.

If updating the Honda navigation system deleted my few Honda navigation favorites as purported by the Honda link I will have to laboriously enter them again. That remains to be verified.

Apple Maps also displays the speed limit on most major roads on the right edge of the display which the Honda Navigation neglects unless this new update includes that feature. That remains to be verified.
I use Google map on Apple Carplay. Fabulous. I use Carplay always but prefers Google map. Just download Google Map in app store.

·
Registered
278 Posts
The thing is, first of all Google Maps is better than Apple Maps.
Secondly, the times when I used Carplay was to boot up Waze on the display bike display panel which is without argument a TFT great.

The Honda Navi is about the worse GPS platform ever. So even when I used Carplay, I used an external Garmin for directions while I ran Waze on Carplay off of my iPhone.

However, you can used an android and a Garmin and get the exact same tech advantages as Carplay without the glitches. I run Waze on my phone while I plot on the Garmin. The phonebook, the Google assistant and whatever else can be gotten from just an android cell phone. Albeit, the display panel on the bike is superior. But the price I had to pay to get Waze on the Honda display panel was not worth it after a while of headaches: disconnects, unpair, pair, and dependence of that Navi was out of the question.

If Carplay was an efficient platform for what was intended to do, you wouldn't have all the complaints you have on this board about it.
The Garmin and an Android phone, that's the way I am going. Unfortunately, I paid for the Carplay sys also.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I got both of mine updated, and heard there will be another update coming in May.
So we'll see if that happens, and what it brings. This one didn't seem to do much.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The thing is, first of all Google Maps is better than Apple Maps.
Secondly, the times when I used Carplay was to boot up Waze on the display bike display panel which is without argument a TFT great.

The Honda Navi is about the worse GPS platform ever. So even when I used Carplay, I used an external Garmin for directions while I ran Waze on Carplay off of my iPhone.

However, you can used an android and a Garmin and get the exact same tech advantages as Carplay without the glitches. I run Waze on my phone while I plot on the Garmin. The phonebook, the Google assistant and whatever else can be gotten from just an android cell phone. Albeit, the display panel on the bike is superior. But the price I had to pay to get Waze on the Honda display panel was not worth it after a while of headaches: disconnects, unpair, pair, and dependence of that Navi was out of the question.

If Carplay was an efficient platform for what was intended to do, you wouldn't have all the complaints you have on this board about it.
The Garmin and an Android phone, that's the way I am going. Unfortunately, I paid for the Carplay sys also.
Rumor has it, at least with Apple, you'll never get a virus. :rolleyes: I'm with you on this. Sticking with Android as I got navigation and and a decent platform to play my music. Using Apple Carplay with a USB stick is worthless as it can't properly index. Glad I have Samsung Music and everything is right in order. Waze and Google Maps on the phone as well. Sorry Honda, you know how to build motorcycles, but leave the user interface to the experts, Samsung!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought a new 2018 about a month ago, nice machine my first Honda. Tried Nav update 3 times, switched to Scandisk....twice no go. then tried loading update direct to thumbdrive….it worked, it did wipe out radio preset and favorites.

·
Registered
4 Posts
waiting for the June 2020 update to come out...supposed to include Android Auto. Have played with Honda Trip Planner, which is OK but not great, to plan a route, was able to download into the bike and use it...worked pretty well. Then I tried to do another route...just keeps telling me I have to login to be able to save it... tried about 5 times and gave up. Also, why in the world are most of the screens (including the alphabet) limited to the up/down arrows (which go sideways)? Come on Honda, you gave us up/down/left/right...let us USE THEM

·
Registered
30 Posts
Got both of mine updated with the latest, to add Android Auto, and a few other updates.
Very impressed with the latest update. Having Android Auto is great, and being able to run Google maps on the main screen will be great for the interstate runs.
Downside is that to use it, you have to be running a headset, and that isn't something I do all the time.
So what's in it for the times when you're not using the Android Auto?
More features were added to the Honda Nav system, and I can't honestly say I have used this yet, so can't comment there, but the there was also a change to the Auto-Volume on the sound system. For me, this alone has made the update worthwhile. I have the upgraded sound system on one of my bikes, and the standard system on the other. This update improves the standard system to the level that the upgrade is redundant, bringing it to where it should be on a bike of this price.
I should have to be wringing the neck of the system to be able to hear it at highway speeds, and now I don't. I can now set it when stopped, and be able to hear it just as well when highway cruising, even with the screen down. That's not something I could do before, I always used to turn it nearly all the way up for higher speeds, that's not the case now.

Very happy with this update.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Anyone knows when this update will be available for European and Australian versions? I live in Brisbane Australia.
I tried it but it says it cannot be updated.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts