·
Super Moderator
27,679 Posts
:doublethumb:

Good info George, and worthy of being a "sticky"

·
Registered
103 Posts
George thank you for the link. The navigation system on my 2018 Goldwing has now been updated. Will have to see if not only the maps were updated but also the program.

·
Registered
103 Posts
This update could be more than just map updates because it seemed to update at least 9 files. Maybe the map data base is broken up into more than one file to cover things like points of interest. We'll see.

·
Registered
103 Posts
When I get around to trying out the Honda navigation update it will be to compare it to Apple Maps which is my current navigation system preference. The nice feature of using Apple Maps through Apple Carplay on the 2018 Goldwing is the convenient feature that all of the people in your iPhone contact list with a physical address can be easily accessed as the navigation destination. In addition, with a press of the button on the left handle bar control, the button with a face shown speaking into a phone, you can ask Siri for the destination to the nearest gas station, restaurant, bank, etc. then tell it to route you to that destination. Apple Maps also uses the TomTom map data base that does not require periodic updates with a USB thumb drive, so it must be done automatically in the background on the iPhone (?).

The big draw back to Apple Maps is the inability to create custom routes then load them into your iPhone, as far as I know. Who knows, there may be an app that does that but it has not been revealed to me yet.

If updating the Honda navigation system deleted my few Honda navigation favorites as purported by the Honda link I will have to laboriously enter them again. That remains to be verified.

Apple Maps also displays the speed limit on most major roads on the right edge of the display which the Honda Navigation neglects unless this new update includes that feature. That remains to be verified.

·
Administrator
26,123 Posts
Great info DR, please keep updating us as you discover what all is enhanced. I have zero riding time on the new bike, most of the new owners are the guinea pigs but we're slowly amassing some helpful knowledge of the system.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
What am I missing? On step 2 of "Update your Goldwing," it says: Turn your bike's ignition switch twice to the right to engage the ACC position (I get that), and double-click the ignition knob on the dash (what is that??). I am willing to be embarrassed to find out!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Xerdoc, since this 2018 Goldwing is my first wing I presumed it meant the red ignition button on the right handlebar controller. Understand your confusion because the "dash" or the center console does not have an ignition knob. When I updated that step seemed to be unnecessary because the process continued on without it.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Thanks DR, I discovered that using my MacBook to copy onto the flash drive did not work, it has to be a PC. That was my main problem. Like you said, it worked fine without the "ignition knob." I'm surprised Honda's engineers didn't provide for updates via bluetooth.

·
Registered
51 Posts
OK, I downloaded the update, reformatted the usb as instructed, copied the download to the usb, went to the wing and all it said was, " no audio files on device".

Honda powersports support hasn't helped. Help!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Did you format your thumb drive to NTFS and not FAT32? Not sure what else you did, the update instructions are pretty clear except for one step that is not necessary according to my experience. See thread above by me and Xerdoc regarding the unnecessary step.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Did you format your thumb drive to NTFS and not FAT32? Not sure what else you did, the update instructions are pretty clear except for one step that is not necessary according to my experience. See thread above by me and Xerdoc regarding the unnecessary step.
Yup, reformatted to ntfs. Do I have to push the start switch twice to start the process? didn't do that, so if that's what they mean by ignition switch?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yup, reformatted to ntfs. Do I have to push the start switch twice to start the process? didn't do that, so if that's what they mean by ignition switch?
I figured out why the update wouldn't install- for some reason, my computer was saving the file to the usb as swdl-1 or swdl.iso. With either configuration, the bike just kept saying "no audio files found on device". I tried it on Firefox and Chrome with the same result. I renamed the usb file as swdl with no extension and it worked like a champ. It is a .iso file on the download, but should save it to the usb w/o that designation. Update complete. So if anyone else posts with the same problem, you can just have them rename the usb file. I have no idea why it did that, but at least I found a work around. Was on the phone with Honda for an hour, and they couldn't figure it out. Glad I just tried something that happened to work

·
Registered
51 Posts
I figured out why the update wouldn't install- for some reason, my computer was saving the file to the usb as swdl-1 or swdl.iso. With either configuration, the bike just kept saying "no audio files found on device". I tried it on Firefox and Chrome with the same result. I renamed the usb file as swdl with no extension and it worked like a champ. It is a .iso file on the download, but should save it to the usb w/o that designation. Update complete. So if anyone else posts with the same problem, you can just have them rename the usb file. I have no idea why it did that, but at least I found a work around. Was on the phone with Honda for an hour, and they couldn't figure it out. Glad I just tried something that happened to work
FWIW, not only does the update do the maps, it also wipes out all your routes, destinations, preferences, blue tooth connections and who know what else I'll find as time goes on? Haven't tried to see if it'll accept more than 8 waypoints, anybody know?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Do you guys know which ones are effected? I just got a 19 and want to make sure i dont need to do anything or bring it back to the stealership.

·
Registered
20 Posts
go to the download and it gives the version number, your settings on the bike shows what version you have.

By the way I posted elsewhere here but the download only worked for me if I saved direct to the USB - wouldn't work if I saved to computer and then transferred, no idea why

1 - 20 of 29 Posts