Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I fitted a Mustang seat to one of my bikes last week. The seat took between 2, and 3 weeks to arrive, well wrapped and packed, and complete with installation instructions, for a 2012-2017 Victory Vision!

I had no issue with the wiring, though it is different to the stock seat.
Stock, the wiring from the passenger to rider area runs internally, with a single short cable ending in the connection plug to the bike wiring loom. To me, the With the mustang, the two sides are run separately, and externally, through individual plug/socket connections, with longer cables, both going into the connection plug to the bike wiring loom.

Despite having the wrong instructions, I am familiar with the Goldwing seat removal and fitting, as it is part of just about every accessory installation. So I had the seat assembled, fitted, and set-up in about 10 minutes.

Comfort-wise, just by sitting on it, is comparable to the stock seat, which is very comfortable by motorcycle standards, but is a slightly different position, making you feel more "in", rather than "on" the bike, and requiring a lower windshield height.
The mustang is wider than the stock seat, making it more awkward for my 5'9" frame to flatfoot on both sides, but not uncomfortably so. The bike can still be handled fairly easily.I
Heating works well, but takes a bit longer than stock to fully beat up.

Needless to say, I was eager to try it out. Now with the stock seat, I would begin feeling less than ideally comfortable by two hours, when I would be looking for an excuse to stop, and I could endure three, before needing to.
While I didn't have time for a three hour run, I did get a run of almost two hours in, and am delighted to report that when I got off to get gas, back near home, I felt just as I did when I got on, and I'm fairly certain I could ride from full to empty, on this.

These are first impressions. I do have a near 1,400 miles run coming up next week, and I'll update once I've done that.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have a Mustang on my 2015 and love it. I rode the OEM seat once for about an hour and it didn't fit me well at all. Sounds like the stock seat on the 2018 is better or fits you better than mine did. I think you will be pleased with the Mustang. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
14,250 Posts
Glad to hear it. Let us know how the longer ride went.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Sadly, my longer ride ended up being one of my shorter rides.
I set out with bike and trailer at 4am, with a view to an 874 mile riding day. I got two miles down the road, when my bike and trailer parted company at the ball hitch. The safety chains kept things in check, and I easily stopped safely. I got off, and quickly saw the source of the strange noise and handling........
I must have messed up in some way when I hitched the trailer the previous day, ready for an early take-off. So really annoyed at myself, I hooked things back-up, and checked the connection, all good and safe. I started back up, and.......no trailer lights.
I turned round, and went the two miles back home, and found two wires damaged in the bike side of the receiver connector. I put a new connector on (Just crimping on two new pins onto the damaged wires, and popping the other four into the new connector. Still no trailer lights. By now I had lost 90 minutes, and still had a long way to go, so had no option but to transfer my luggage from the trailer to the trunk of a car, and set out in the car, two hours after my original departure time.

As things worked out, this wasn't a bad decision. A major (and Deadly) storm was sweeping through the southwest, which I hit near the FL / GA border, and was in very dangerous conditions for about forty minutes. Later (and further North) in the journey, I encountered near freezing temps, and a snow flurry.
When I got to my final destination on the second day, it was sub-freezing temperatures, and icy roads (apparently no-one has told Wisconsin that it is spring!).
So with hindsight being 20-20, I can say that taking the car was a good thing, but I still wish I could have done it on the bike.
So when I get home, I need to fix my receiver electrics, then I'm ready to try again at the next opportunity, hopefully in the summer!.

So sadly, still waiting for my first longer ride.

·
Registered
607 Posts
One of the things I have learned, and it has taken years, is there are reasons things happen. That storm you mentioned down south was a doozy and running a bike on ice is a disaster waiting to occur. There will be other trips.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Finally had the time, and inclination to take a ride to check out the new seat.

On the stock seat ( with Honda Backrest), it would make it's presence felt after about an hour. By the two hour point it was ceasing to be comfortable, and by three hours, I was looking for an excuse to stop and get off.

So I got a two and a half hour run in this afternoon, on a variety of road conditions. From fast multi-year roads ( both with, and without, heavy traffic), to what passes for the twisted here in Florida ( the Ozello trail).
I got a slight twinge at about the 1.5hr point, and figured things would get steadily worse from there. But that proved not to be the case, and I now believe that twinge was an anomoly. When I got off to start removing my insect collection in my garage, 2hrs and 34mins after climbing on, I wasn't stiff at all, and felt as fresh as I did when I first got on.

I'd have to declare this seat a major improvement, and I am certain I can ride for a full tank, with this.Very happy.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did a 575 mile run today, with the same in store for tomorrow.
Having the trailer on the back fully loaded meant I kept the speed down to below 70mph, so there was around 10hrs of saddle time, with several stops.
So is the seat a perfect "all-day comfort" item? Not really, the wear on your butt is cumulative, and it's not just down to the seat, the foot peg, and handlebar position play into things as well, and towards the end of the run, the time between stops was dropping, but I will say that every time, I was ready to get back on, within a few minutes.......which is way more than I can say for the standard seat. At the end of the day I was moving normally when I got off, and had no real pain, just a little stiffness.
I have no qualms getting back on for the same duration tomorrow, so that's a ringing endorsement.
First stint was 200mile run (about 3.5hrs) a quick refuel, and then another 100-150 ( I can't remember exactly), but basically a five hour run, before I felt the need to stop and stretch. For any motorcycle seat, that is impressive............but let me tell you about my last couple of stops, and see if you enjoyed this as much as my wife did.
Weather was forecast to be inclement in areas along the route, so when i left I put on my heavy waterproof touring jacket, lined waterproof overpants, and thick waterproof gloves.
I rode 500miles like that, in 72-82 degrees, and saw one 3-5min shower. So when I stopped with about 75 miles to go, with the sun still shining, and the weather app saying I should be good for the rest of the way, I removed the overpants, switched to my mesh jacket, and lightweight, breathable gloves.
I was 5 mins out of the rest area, when I hit rain. Fortunately it was another light shower, and there was no issue riding through it, it helped to cool me a little.........things were great for the next while, and then I was straight into a deluge! I wanted to see if it would be a short as the two showers I'd encountered, but after 3 minutes in it I was soaked through. I came off at the next exit (now only 24 miles from my destination) at a gas station with good cover, stripped off my sodden jacket and gloves, pulled out my heavy gear, and began dressing for the conditions.
No sooner had I finished getting my overpants back on, than the rain suddenly stopped, not to be seen again!
At least I'm starting out tomorrow with an almost full tank.

So as I sit my hotel tonight, with gear drying around me, I will summarize my views on the seats performance.
It is a phenomenal upgrade from the standard saddle. I can ride a full tank with no problem, and even when my knees stiffen, and I get a few pangs in the posterior, I'm ready to go again in a couple of minutes.
This run was done with no-prep. I am not a regular distance rider, and my longest recent run was about 130miles. So the opinions I voice are not from someone straight off an iron-butt rally.

This is an "off-the-peg" item, and not customized to me, and others with different size/shape/weight/riding style/etc. may find very different results, but for me this works well enough that I don't have to go custom.
Having done a distance run, with no build-up to it, I have to say that I am very happy with this purchase........

..........let's see if I feel the same tomorrow, at the end of 1,150 miles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did 1,064 miles in a day a couple of weeks ago, and had no problems at all, but I did realize some things.

So when I got home, and booked her in for her 8,000 mile service (and despite what Honda says, get an oil change done), and have a new rear tire fitted (was actually about 9,200 miles, by the time I got back), I also had the Heli-bar risers fitted, and the Rivco flip-out highway pegs.

Got her back Saturday, and out about a hundred miles on her (a bit too hot down our way for comfortable riding, just now), but the risers put you in a different position on the seat, and I've found myself now questioning whether having a motorcycle this comfortable should even be legal!

I put my wife (she rides, but only occasionally, when all the planets align), onto both bikes, to get an unbiased opinion. Having both bikes on the center-stands, I first got her onto the red bike (Rose), with the stock seat, Honda backrest, and stock bars. She declared herself happy and comfortable.
Then put her on the white bike (Blanche), with the Mustang seat, and Heli-bar risers, and her first two reactions were:
1) "Wow".
2) "You have got to do the other one the same way as this."
So i'm guessing she liked it.

I repeated this with my daughter (who hasn't ridden since she got her license), and her reaction was "OMG, this thing is so comfortable".

So I know it's not just me......... now to get a decent run in to see how useful the highway pegs are.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts