Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum but I have run into an issue that I can’t resolve. My 2018 Non-Tour seems to have a similar setup as the Tour. But I am trying to remove the seat to add a backrest and a battery tender and I can’t get my 6mm t-handle Allen wrench to seat and turn. Both bolts are either spinning or the end of the Allen wrench is too small and it’s spinning within the head of the bolt. The saddlebag doors are open and the side covers come off perfectly. I don’t have heated seats so the electrical connections won’t be an issue. The bolts are the only, completely unanticipated problem. Does anyone know what I may be doing wrong?

·
Registered
223 Posts
I think your Allen wrench is too small. The bolts themselves would not be spinning. I did the same thing you’re doing and I had no problems getting the bolts out. I don’t remember what size Allen wrench I used.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Just checked. 6 mm is the correct size Allen wrench. I hope you didn’t strip it out? My bolts were so tight I couldn’t get them out with a standard Allen wrench. I had to use a ratchet wrench to obtain enough pressure and torque to get them out.

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I see Eddie has you covered. Allen wrenches mounted in sockets are available and very handy to have if you don't have any.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks to all. I am taking it to a guy with the right tools. All videos show the removal with a t-handle being so easy. Not one has mentioned using a ratchet wrench with an Allen bit. I’ll let you all know how it works out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update on the seat removal issue. I had a life-long mechanic work to see why my 6mm t-handle Allen wrench would not “connect” with the hex head on the bolts. It turns out that there were no bolts in there to turn. The seat fit so snugly that it was not readily apparent that the bolts were missing. After a thorough assessment of the seat he pulled up on the forward part of the seat and it popped out of the grommets. A hard push was all it took from there to get the seat off. A quick trip to my dealer to obtain the bolts and the seat is now a textbook version of a GL1800 non-tour. I bought the bike with less than one mile on it and put 700 miles on it before this discovery.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts