Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
The bike has developed a ticking sound on the right side of the engine. Took it into the dealer. Service rep calls me later in the day. He says. "The engine needs a valve job. We generally recommend it at 60,000 miles. It will be about $950.00".

I explain that the engine has 6,000 miles not 60 (5898.5). The service rep sounded a bit shocked and said "then it should be covered under warranty".

A valve job at less than 6,000 miles?? On a Honda engine?? Thinking lemon law.
Deeply disappointed. If they can fix it, I'm getting rid of it.
Any thoughts?
The right side of my 2018 goldwing makes a ticking sound to

·
Premium Member
674 Posts
The injectors do tick a bit. Sounds like the dealer is out to rip you off pretty good as I have never heard of a GL needing a valve job before 300K. 60k is normal for Harleys as the rockers get sloppy

·
Registered
2 Posts
The bike has developed a ticking sound on the right side of the engine. Took it into the dealer. Service rep calls me later in the day. He says. "The engine needs a valve job. We generally recommend it at 60,000 miles. It will be about $950.00".

I explain that the engine has 6,000 miles not 60 (5898.5). The service rep sounded a bit shocked and said "then it should be covered under warranty".

A valve job at less than 6,000 miles?? On a Honda engine?? Thinking lemon law.
Deeply disappointed. If they can fix it, I'm getting rid of it.
Any thoughts?
The hill start assist light coming on and off periodically is most likely due to the microswitches in the left handle bar. If you take them out, you will find that the contacts are open to the elements and visible through a hole right above the contacts. If you clean them and put a piece of tape over the opening, I think you have solved your problem.
hill start problems their is a spring that,s broke that cause the problem with light and for the hill start to work properly

·
Registered
368 Posts
Do yourself a favor and skip to 3:00 in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2019 with ticking on the right side,doesnt tick for about the first 5 minutes, had a dealer listen to it he told me its nothing to worry about.It's my first Goldwing it bothers me

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Thats what they tild me too. I recorded the ticking. I took it into the dealer service dept. They said it diesnt sound right. Its there right now. Ill let you know what happens.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Hey PC – What did Honda decide about your engine noise ? I think you're right to be concerned about a 6k mile valve job diagnosis. Then to be told the noise is from something internal, then normal and now gone. Did the dealership replace the engine oil with a thicker grade during their troubleshooting efforts ?

I’ve help with all levels of maintenance on many of the late model GW’s in our riding group and the only thing you might compare the sound to (if it turns out to be truly a minor issue) - is the need for the valve adjustment checked ? Several of the shim and bucket bikes we get together and work on are not only well past their warranty period but pushing 100 - 130k miles. Normally only a couple have needed a shim or two replaced to bring their valve adjust back into specs.

The Goldwings are known for a long trouble free life. The new ones come with a warranty for a reason, you should use it while your bike is still covered rather than have something progressively get worse a couple years from now.....

Good Luck - Michael

21 - 31 of 31 Posts