Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2018 DCT GoldWing won’t start and maybe you can point to a solution

Ive had the bike just over 3 years and I use an optimate 4 battery tender which indicates the battery is fully charged ie it quickly moves to maintain mode with both green lights permanently on

When turning the bike on, I first ensure the Fob is on (flashes 3 times on test) and in proximity of the bike - the white illumination led shows on on the consol ignition switch

When engaging the starter button nothing happens, not even a sound or click from the engine

Even switching the rotary ignition switch on manually, it won’t start, however all other electrical functions are working, audio, windscreen, lights hooter etc

Suspecting it may be the battery I tested the voltage just after removing the Optimate and it showed 13,4 volts, then switched the ignition on and measured the voltage again it showed 12,3 volts

I know sometimes batteries when they age can have voltage but no real power to say swing the engine, so I used a battery jumper pack on the bikes battery, still nothing

It is a strange situation because there was no preeminant sign of something starting to fail, thankfully it happened at home

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
I’m not familiar with the DCT but you may want to work the emergency stop switch and the kick stand just to make sure they are working. Does the DCT have any safety switches (like the clutch switch on a manual transmission) to make sure it is not in gear when it starts? Check all the safety switches as one may be stuck.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m not familiar with the DCT but you may want to work the emergency stop switch and the kick stand just to make sure they are working. Does the DCT have any safety switches (like the clutch switch on a manual transmission) to make sure it is not in gear when it starts? Check all the safety switches as one may be stuck.

Good luck. Keep us posted.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks Luv2fish the kick stand was one of the first things I checked, I have a suspicion its the actual switch on the handlebar, will report back here as to what happens

·
Registered
2021 dct tour
132 Posts
Electric contact cleaning compounds work, old audio, new gizmos, spray that big red kill button, everything brother

·
Registered
1 Posts

Ive had the bike just over 3 years and I use an optimate 4 battery tender which indicates the battery is fully charged ie it quickly moves to maintain mode with both green lights permanently on

When turning the bike on, I first ensure the Fob is on (flashes 3 times on test) and in proximity of the bike - the white illumination led shows on on the consol ignition switch

When engaging the starter button nothing happens, not even a sound or click from the engine

Even switching the rotary ignition switch on manually, it won’t start, however all other electrical functions are working, audio, windscreen, lights hooter etc

Suspecting it may be the battery I tested the voltage just after removing the Optimate and it showed 13,4 volts, then switched the ignition on and measured the voltage again it showed 12,3 volts

I know sometimes batteries when they age can have voltage but no real power to say swing the engine, so I used a battery jumper pack on the bikes battery, still nothing

It is a strange situation because there was no preeminant sign of something starting to fail, thankfully it happened at home
Check the kick stand switch .

·
Registered
164 Posts
Your 2018 DCT will start whether the kickstand is up or down. There are also no interlocks with the transmission because when the engine has been turned off it mimics being in neutral, thus the parking brake. The center console switch does several functions: 1. Turns on the engine controls to enable starting the engine with the red start button with just one turn clockwise, 2. After turning on the engine controls if it is rotated clockwise again it goes into auxiliary mode which lights up the instruments but does not allow the engine to start, and 3. When the engine has been turned off by rotating center console switch counter clockwise and it is rotated again counter clockwise, with the handlebars rotated all the way to the left turn stop, it will lock them in place.

The new model of Goldwings should always have the engine turned off with the center console switch. The red start button has an emergency shutoff position meant for emergencies only.

It sounds like you haven't ridden it much so maybe you are doing one of the rotations of the switch too many times? Otherwise, the usual suspect is sticky contacts on the red start button.

·
Registered
4 Posts

One other thing to try. Hold the front brake when starting. I had that happen once and simply applying the brake while holding down the starter (kill) button allowed it to start. No issues in the next 25,000 miles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts