Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there is a vast knowledge base on this site.So I’m hoping for some guidance from your wisdom. I have a 2013 Goldwing and I love that machine. I ride it every chance I get. I’ve started riding it to work but it is also something my wife and I enjoy very much in the summers we spend most weekends in North Carolina or Tennessee riding the roads on that bike. Now I’m thinking that I don’t want to make it a daily rider back-and-forth to work start and stop instead of highway miles, city miles with more wear and tear. It has 22k miles on it and we average 5 k a summer in miles but I have not been riding daily until this spring. I have owned two Harleys and don’t have a desire to go back that direction but I think I want another bike to ride as a daily driver and when I’m just riding single which is not very often but a lot of my evening rides after work are short and it’s just me. I feel very spoiled riding the Goldwing, and I’m afraid if I buy anything less than that I won’t be happy. So as a compromise I’m considering buying a 2014 Valkyrie. I realize it does not have a lot the accoutrements that the goldwing has but I won’t be disappointed in the engine, the driveshaft and the frame? What do you all think? Is that a good bike to have as a daily commuting bike and run around town bike and does it make sense to put mileage on it and save the Goldwing for the longer road trips and weekend getaways? Will parts be a problem? I’ve been looking at other bikes as well Kawasaki concours the Yamaha FJR and some smaller bikes. I’d love to have the African twin but I think I would be dissatisfied with that as a daily driver to work.

·
Registered
7,317 Posts
I know there is a vast knowledge base on this site.So I’m hoping for some guidance from your wisdom. I have a 2013 Goldwing and I love that machine. I ride it every chance I get. I’ve started riding it to work but it is also something my wife and I enjoy very much in the summers we spend most weekends in North Carolina or Tennessee riding the roads on that bike. Now I’m thinking that I don’t want to make it a daily rider back-and-forth to work start and stop instead of highway miles, city miles with more wear and tear. It has 22k miles on it and we average 5 k a summer in miles but I have not been riding daily until this spring. I have owned two Harleys and don’t have a desire to go back that direction but I think I want another bike to ride as a daily driver and when I’m just riding single which is not very often but a lot of my evening rides after work are short and it’s just me. I feel very spoiled riding the Goldwing, and I’m afraid if I buy anything less than that I won’t be happy. So as a compromise I’m considering buying a 2014 Valkyrie. I realize it does not have a lot the accoutrements that the goldwing has but I won’t be disappointed in the engine, the driveshaft and the frame? What do you all think? Is that a good bike to have as a daily commuting bike and run around town bike and does it make sense to put mileage on it and save the Goldwing for the longer road trips and weekend getaways? Will parts be a problem? I’ve been looking at other bikes as well Kawasaki concours the Yamaha FJR and some smaller bikes. I’d love to have the African twin but I think I would be dissatisfied with that as a daily driver to work.
Why are you concerned about the miles on the Wing? Going by your figures, in 10 years you will have just 72K miles on it. Most folks here would consider that mileage to be just nicely broken in. I think you may want to come up with another excuse to add to your stable. ;)

·
Super Moderator
14,922 Posts
I have a 2010 and use it for a daily rider. Short ride or long ride don't matter. 158,900 on the odometer as of this morning and still going strong.
2021 06 02 Last day for the 2010.jpg

Reactions: NREMTP

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 and use it for a daily rider. Short ride or long ride don't matter. 158,900 on the odometer as of this morning and still going strong.
View attachment 276600
I own a 2014 Valkyrie abs and would highly recommend it as a second or primary bike. It is lighter than your wing and handles extremely well. I don't see parts as a problem, and I think it has a better ergonomic riding position, your knee's with a longer inseam won't hit the faring.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I own a 2014 Valkyrie abs and would highly recommend it as a second or primary bike. It is lighter than your wing and handles extremely well. I don't see parts as a problem, and I think it has a better ergonomic riding position, your knee's with a longer inseam won't hit the faring.
Thanks for the input. It is worthy of showing to the Mrs. as evidence that it would be a wise purchase.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts