Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Entering routes into that Nav unit sucks hairy swollen veiny purple headed moose <put whatever your want here> !!!

http://g.co/maps/nkrtx

Putting a route like this one in there is a nightmare !!! Im going to have to find a way to do cities or zip codes or something cause this surely wont work. I think Im going to buy a base for my Ram mount I had on the VTX that fits the Wing and mount my Garmin 1450LMT until I learn to get around the arrow buttons .. or the extensive use of same. (or get used to the SD card.)

Yuk Honda !!!

Im a Network Engineer by trade. When I get on the bike, the last thing I want to do is screw around with technology. The bike helps me get away from that ...

Oh and by the way ... Every time I turn on the Nav unit, I smell something burning. Maybe my imagination, but Im going to call the dealer tomorrow to setup an appointment. For the reboot problem, I called Honda and they wont set up any "case" until the dealer checks it out. I get a yellow banner with black letters across the top of the display mentioning something to the effect "roads not defined along route" whether the Nav is on or off which usually precedes the reboot ... radio silent for a short time, screen black, radio back on, GoldWing banner, then normal underway display.

·
Premium Member
23,752 Posts
I can sympathize with your irritation and I have an '08 Navi. It sounds like the same complaints attending a different model year. I use mine for entertainment purposes only.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Many don't use it and install a Garmin on the bike to boot , as I will. I have routed mine but it takes time
Bill,

What model Garmin and mount are you using?

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
I love how my Nav works! By the time I get the route entered, w/all the correct "Vias" to go the way I want, I have memorized the route and don't need that way overpriced "road map" turned on!

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
I would recommend a Garmin 660 or 665. The 665 has XM, the 660 is the same without XM.
=Dave=
I also prefer the 660 over the factory unit

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
I think we can all agree that there are some 'shortcomings' in the Navi. It's pretty much the same system Honda uses on all it's GPS equipped cars/suv's, but it still has weaknesses

·
Registered
5,096 Posts
By the way, on entering routes, I notice on the Honda Site that you can plan, design and enter routes on your home computer and then enter them into the Navi on the 2012 models. Here is that quote:
Trip Planner

Now you can plan trip routes on your home computer and upload them into your Gold Wing’s available navi system, also share your trips with friends, or download routes from others (TripPlanner.Honda.com). You’ll also notice Navi improvements like lane guidance and junction view, and a new GPS receiver that captures satellite signals faster.

Might take a look into this as maybe the dealer didn't tell you about it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
trying to get my 2013 nav to recognize the SD card.... not working so well. Back to the driveway for more trial and error... And yes, I did RTFM. :arghh:

·
Registered
77 Posts
After much frustration, I finally bought a zumo 660. Love it.
When travelling, I can take it off the bike and input my route in the hotel room or even at a lunch stop. I don't have to bring the bike to a full stop, to find out where the closest gas station is, or to make it stop squawking " recalculating", when I miss a waypoint by a block.:banghead:

What really pisses me off, is that in Canada, we don't have the option of buying a GW without the Navi. We are forced into paying extra money, for an electronic road map, that does not even show the names of most towns, and costs a bundle for updates, that are pretty much useless, and more problem than it's worth.

Buy a Zumo and forget about it!

·
Banned
141 Posts
When I bought mine ... I made sure it only had what-ever-the-basic-package-was. If I wanted a GPS I'd buy an after market one and carry it or mount it. Haven't needed one, so far. I am thinking about getting one though.

Can they get you around toll roads?

·
Registered
77 Posts
When I bought mine ... I made sure it only had what-ever-the-basic-package-was. If I wanted a GPS I'd buy an after market one and carry it or mount it. Haven't needed one, so far. I am thinking about getting one though.

Can they get you around toll roads?
Yes, they can avoid toll roads, highways, bridges, ferries, etc.

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
I am using a Garmin Zumo 350 ML just love it.
I have used navigation systems in vehicles from 2001 on whenever
I was in Europe and I have to say that those early versions were still way better then what Honda sells nowadays as a " Navigation system"
It is really unbelievable that the people that built arguably the best touring motorcycle in the world can not come up with a navigation system that will please its customers and to throw in another pet peeve of mine an electronic windshield seems to be more then their engineers can handle.

·
Registered
252 Posts
when i bought my 08 navi i just liked the bike and the color (titanum) anyway i has the gps on it even with the book it is just confusing to me use the radio mostly and havent touched the gps use my tom tom that i use in my car and pu. might try the garmin with xm. would like to have xm for the bike.

·
Administrator
26,174 Posts
Even with the 2010 upgrade on mine ('09 with the '08 CF card) I still get the "unverified road" banner lots. I live 2 hours North of Edmonton just off Hwy 2 (Hwy 2 runs from the Alberta Montana border all the way up through Calgary, Edmonton and on up to Dawson Creek). The last rework of the highway was back in the 70's and we didn't have GPS then. So the roadway has been unchanged for almost 40 years! Now the NAVI is a joint effort between Honda and Garmin, but the data base is ALL GARMIN. Now I'm sure Honda couls have/should have made sure the units were supplied with at least the most current data bases, but it isn't. There's two at faults here, but we're all the scapegoats.

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
Heck I like my little 320 over the wing GPS , about the only thing I have entered in the wing unit is HOME , as I explore and get lost I just push HOME and in a round about way it takes me there.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I think the navi works good enough on my 2012.
I never used complicated routes though. Just destination and go.
If I need to make a stop somewhere, I use that as my destination then enter new one when ready to leave.
Invaluable though are the weather alerts and maps and traffic delay info that can be displayed via the XM radio data feeds.
That big screen with the data display is extremely nice.

·
Premium Member
210 Posts
When I got my '12 Wing last year I already had a 665 (with lifetime updates) on my Moto Guzzi. After the first trip on the Wing using the NAV on a non-complicated route, I bought another mount for the Wing. I use the Wing's NAV for a rolling map, anything else I put the 665 on it.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've used GPS for road as well as aviation navigation. I refused to pay what Honda wanted for a simple built in GPS unit though.:FunnyFace: I'll just use a stand alone unit and take it with me when I leave the bike parked. :icon_smile_wink:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts