Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I took my 2012 Goldwing in for a warranty check as my intercom would not mute the radio. I checked and rechecked all of the settings, and nothing I did, mattered.

My dealer kept the bike for a couple of weeks and finally told me that Honda changed the radio setup in 2012 and the old headsets would not work with the new bikes. This sounded strange to me, so I called J&M who makes the headsets FOR Honda. The owner, John, told me that not only had they mad NO CHANGES to the headsets since the early 80's, but that he himself had a 2012 'wing and his old headsets worked fine.

Has anyone else had this problem? Has anyone been told anything about the 2012 radio changes? I am starting to think the dealer doesn't want to bother with the radio and is trying to get me to back off the warranty work....

Thanks guys,

Jeff

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
As far as I know there are no changes in the system other than it has more output wattage. Settings and operational procedures should be the same as before.;)

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Are you sure you have checked the intercom mute setting and not just the volume???
I do not mean to insult you, just making sure you are aware there is a mute setting for intercom.
Also, I would make the owner of that dealership aware of the gross misinformation you received from an employee.

·
Registered
767 Posts
Keep it simple find another wing rider with a known good head set and try it on your bike or have your headset tested on theirs then if your problem exists on their bike it must be your head set
I have found the dealers to be grossly untrained and unprofessional

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Make sure your MUTE setting is on and on a high number, if you didn't turn it on when you bought the bike it is probably turned off.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the input guys.... I spoke with Honda America and they are going to get back with me on Monday. I have tried all of the settings, on both the intercom and the radio. The dealer said he used a new set off the shelf and they worked fine. Not sure if he really did, but going to wait for Honda before I amp it up. Gotta say a great thanks to the owner of J&M for personally contacting me with the information. That is GREAT customer service and all of us little guys should support them.

·
Registered
36 Posts
HeadSets

As far as I know there are no changes in the system other than it has more output wattage. Settings and operational procedures should be the same as before.;)
-----------
Just purchesed a 2012 Gold wing - can not get the Headset plug to fit into the female plug on the Goldwing. Have used these headsets on a 2006, and (2) 2008 models - but has it changed on the 2012?

·
Administrator
26,225 Posts
I found the Honda headset plugs VERY difficult to plug in. J&M fit easy as pie on the other hand. Other Wingers have said the same thing.

·
Registered
31 Posts
My radio doesn't mute as well as my 4 previous GL1800's did.
I have to run the intercom mute on 20 and it still doesn't mute well.
A lot of times, I use the mute button to talk on the intercom. The headset volume
is also much lower than the previous GL1800's.

The headset volume goes to 30, but I cannot detect any volume increase after 22.

I'm not real happy with the radio.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Are you sure you have checked the intercom mute setting and not just the volume???
I do not mean to insult you, just making sure you are aware there is a mute setting for intercom.
Also, I would make the owner of that dealership aware of the gross misinformation you received from an employee.
I am just chimming in on this but what are the mute settings you refer to. I am interested in that I maybe missing out on some good info.as I dont have a manual for MY 20006.

·
Premium Member
23,763 Posts
The more I read here on the cord connection to the Wings audio system the more I am happy that my helmet headset is wireless.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts