Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Administrator
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Today Honda unveiled the updated 2012 Gold Wing as a new model available in May 2011.

Although Honda doesn't list a 2011 model for the Wing, we won't discount the year-long lapse between 2010 and 2012 (even though Honda does) against what otherwise marks the 37th year since the Wing was set free upon the roads, way back in '75.

We're sure the new GW upholds classic Wing characteristics – like a stable yet responsive chassis, smooth, linear engine power, and Barcalounger-like comfort – that have made this Honda a favorite among the touring set. Yet this latest iteration of the Wing is well within the previous model's shadow.

The few significant revisions the '12 does see are devoted largely to the rider environment and styling, leaving the 1832cc, horizontally opposed six-cylinder engine untouched, with the chassis mostly following suit.

More: 2012 Honda Gold Wing Unveiled on Motorcycle.com

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
While I'm sure it's still right up at the top of the list of great tourers,
I am somewhat disappointed in the lack of a major redesign, including many improvements and addition of items long requested by many on many boards.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sure glad I didn't wait to buy one! I do like the 2-tone front fairing but don't like the look of the rear lights and saddlebags though. If the front suspension has been reworked (doubt it or they would have said so) it might have been worth the wait. Look forward to reviews on the GPS modifications. Nice to see they kept the price at ultra expensive instead of raising it to outrageous.

Sorry but, overall, looks like a very weak effort Honda. Go back to your room and try again.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sure glad I didn't wait to buy one! I do like the 2-tone front fairing but don't like the look of the rear lights and saddlebags though. If the front suspension has been reworked (doubt it or they would have said so) it might have been worth the wait. Look forward to reviews on the GPS modifications. Nice to see they kept the price at ultra expensive instead of raising it to outrageous.

Sorry but, overall, looks like a very weak effort Honda. Go back to your room and try again.

Ditto on the rear end..............weak!!!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
From the pics it does not look like there is a place to mount side lights on the saddlebags. That lack of side lighting would be a concern for me..

·
Registered
212 Posts
They should always hold on and maintain a seated position as far as possible. Please riders, make sure your passenger knows what to do and expect should you have a tip over.
( Cute )

I'm not sure if my " Bag " will ever get back on the bike !! :)
But I'm working on it with a few changes.

WA9FWT Phil

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
" What happens to the bags if layed down " ???
From what I can see on the photos that have been circulated it looks like the side bars on the engine and bags are still there. So it should still provide the same amount of protection as previous models. It's not a lot, but they do work fine in case of a "tip over" or slow speed drop. Don't ask me how I know....:rolleyes:

·
Registered
47 Posts
I really miss my electric windshield! I had a BMW K1100LT for 17 years and moved over to the Wing. I am still having a hard time getting used to lifting the levers, PULLING up on the windshield......My God, I'm used to just pushing a BUTTON! Come on, Honda, wake up and smell the roses!!!!
Locknut!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I really miss my electric windshield! I had a BMW K1100LT for 17 years and moved over to the Wing. I am still having a hard time getting used to lifting the levers, PULLING up on the windshield......My God, I'm used to just pushing a BUTTON! Come on, Honda, wake up and smell the roses!!!!
Locknut!
How often do you change the wind shield settings ?
I never had that luxury..

WA9FWT Phil

·
Registered
40 Posts
Locknut!
Really? Come on. How hard is it to pull those 2 levers and lift up or push down on the shield? Do we really need the extra weight that would be involved with this being powered? it's a motorcycle for God's sake. It's not a cage.

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
the bmw's still look like sport tourers and as far as looks the wing has lost direction but i guess that is what happens when a sport bike guy designs a touring bike. how about a real two- tone paint job like the older wings had not just a body panel thats a different color. how about honda send the leader of the goldwing project out in the field like tanaka did

·
Registered
36 Posts
The new wing will hold a lot more but the electronics is were most of the improvements are. Most are saying you really need to see the new wing to appreciate it. Pictures do it no justice. I will be going to Daytona this week and will surely drop in to look at them.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Amen Two, dont ask me how I know either but those baby bars work even faster than slow speed. (not a scratch)

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I was hoping for 2 more cylinders, supercharger, turbocharger and a kaufmann starter!

·
Registered
212 Posts
I was hoping for 2 more cylinders, supercharger, turbocharger and a kaufmann starter!
Looks like you ran a cycle shop !!
Me 34 yrs on one old 750 K Honda.
now on a 1982 A Goldwing two years. I wonder how many years I have left. Age 71 and 3/4"s ha ha
WA9FWT Phil

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi WA,
I met a guy riding a 1500 GoldWing. He was 81! He complained that when he would slow to stop, the bike would fall over. Now common sense says he probably ought to look for a new hobby. His solution, mount an automatic descending pair of wheels. These auto lower when ever he stops and auto rasie when he starts! He has NO plans to quit. Good for him.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts