Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I introduced myself on 7-23-12 and told how I was in the process of getting a new GW, which I subsequently did so I thought I'd relate my impressions!

This was originally posted on a Honda NT forum.

The shiny blue toy (Goldwing) has touched down safely and is resting in my garage!

Everything went well at the dealership and the service manager went over every little detail and explained how all the bells and whistles work. I felt like I was making a pre-flight checkout on a 747 or something! A lot of you know that motorcycle electronics have become MUCH more complicated lately, with all of the fancy stuff they come with now so I really paid attention. Then 5 miles down the road I had to pull over, take my helmet off and really see how to set the cruise control and how to actually turn the stereo on and off, etc-etc. I guess I really didn't pay much attention after all.

When I picked the Goldwing up, it looked like it was going to rain. Some anti-motorcyclist Voodoo man must have put a curse on me because almost EVERY time I take delivery on a new bike it rains and rains hard! I looked west and it looked bad, I looked east and it looked bad, North, the direction I had to go for about 40 miles looked worse. I looked south and I could see sunlight and not to many clouds so away I went. I rode about 40 miles and it cleared up so I stopped for a cholesterol laden lunch. After lunch, all directions although cloudy looked okay so I split north on some beautiful rolling country roads and made it back to work to finish up a few computers. I worked for about 2 hours and then a customer told my wife that it was really starting to rain, so I put the helmet and gloves on and scooted the 11 miles to home base camp! So, Voodoo man wins again and my new bike was soaked with rain! I rode only 117 miles but it was nice while it lasted.

Impressions:
Very smooth in every possible way. The weight that is psychologically made worse by how big the Goldwing looks, just disappears when underway and the bike becomes quite the dancer as it leans in and out of corners very gracefully. The suspension is excellent as are the brakes. The seat to footpeg relationship and all ergonomics are perfect for long distance travel. The cruise control was sure nice as was the stereo. The mirrors are really big, clear the shoulders and are perfectly clear at speed. The gearbox and clutch are both just smooth and buttery in their operation. The flat six, 1832cc engine is a work of art. Smooth doesn't even describe it as anything that comes from the engine is more like a 'hum.' The intake makes a nice 'formula one sound' and the exhaust is very subdued. I haven't explored the upper rpm range of the engine and so far haven't exceeded 3,000 rpm's which is 65 mph. The engine is incredibly flexible and doesn't mind being ran at rediculously low rpm's in high gear. At one time today, I went through a town in 5th gear at 25 mph and the engine laughed at me and accelerated briskly and smoothly and never insisted on being down shifted. As I rode the 11 miles home this afternoon in the rain, I slowed way down for a railroad track crossing and happened to look at the tachometer and it showed 500 rpm's and apparently it was in 3rd gear and then just took off in no distress, with no bucking or lurching or complaining.

So far I am very happy. There is no 600 mile service on this bike as the first service which is just and oil and filter change is at 4,000 miles, then at 8,000 intervals. First valve check is at 32,000 miles, so it looks like I will forego the 600 mile fiasco so prevalent on most bikes that is also very expensive on some.

I took some pictures and I will post them soon.

Sorry for the long post----but I'm excited!

Sam

·
Premium Member
24,523 Posts
Cheers for your write-up Gandalf. Moved this over to the 'general' section for you, nothing wrong, just a better spot for it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
I like the write up. I was tempted by the blue, but then my wife weighed in on my color decision.... So, red it is.

She would have wanted the Air Force Wings all over the blue one...

Glad to hear that you like the bike. Picked mine up in the last week of January, and we just turned the 12,000 mile mark this week. Catch up!

·
Premium Member
6,757 Posts
Great review & welcome aboard. many more miles ahead!

Ride safe & often.....

Mark

·
Super Moderator
10,047 Posts
Your post brought back memories for many of us here on the forum from when we picked up our new Wings... Ride safe and Welcome...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.