Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up this bike and need to change the coolant, where is the drain plug at? some detail pic's would be great

·
Registered
918 Posts
You have to remove the lower cowl first. some say it can be done with the cowl in place, but it makes a mess. If you look at the picture you will see the location of the drain, next to the oil filter. You should be able to buy a new seating washer at the dealer.

You will also have to remove the right side fairing trim and the cover over the radiator fill cap.

It takes time for the coolant to drain. Plus, when refilling you will have to keep burping the radiator to remove all the air. Put rags around the filler neck to catch the coolant that splashes out when burping. Time consuming, but no hard to do.
Use a turkey baster to remove the coolant in the over flow tank, located behind the left engine cover.
Put some coolant in the overflow tank. Leave the right top cover off and take the bike for a ride. Let it cool down and check the level of the coolant.

Attachments

·
Registered
328 Posts
I change my coolant, at the same time, when I change my oil and filter, this way the filter is not in your way.....when you remove the 6 mm bolt just above your oil filter , to flush out the old coolant. it's 100% easier to get too...

Important warning: Be sure you remove the lower 6mm bolt ( have a bucket under there before you , open up the radiator top cap )... and fill with new fluid very, very slowly, after you've drained out the old stuff and have replaced that 6 mmm bolt..

Ronnie

·
Registered
918 Posts
Sounds wasteful to me. Coolant change recommendation is 2 years or 24,000 miles.
I change my coolant and bleed the clutch since it requires almost the same amount of time and parts removal.
Both are scheduled in the same time period.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Sounds wasteful to me. Coolant change recommendation is 2 years or 24,000 miles.
I change my coolant and bleed the clutch since it requires almost the same amount of time and parts removal.
Both are scheduled in the same time period.
I do agree (wasteful) BUT this oil/ filter, radiator fluid, brake fluid, clutch replacement , rear gear fluid frequent changes gives me something to do (retired) and makes me part of my bike, I enjoy working on my bike, and I have the garage, and tools to do it.....and I know that my $30,000 dollar investment (buying this MC) is not being wasted by letting my bike just rust away..[I happy to say that my 11 yr old (2010) wing has never seen inside a dealership repair shop/ aaaa except for a air filter replacement) .I see MC's outside (uncovered) all winter long with a foot of snow sitting on it (I just cring, when I see that)...............and making my bike go 8,000 miles between oil filter changes/or 24,000 miles between coolant changes 😢 :( (never)............I have a friend that rides a Honda
Valcorlie (spelling) he bought it used five seasons ago, and still has not ever changed his oil and filter, rear shaft fluid, or radiator fluid, and parkes it outside his home without a cover..I find that being very sad..........

Ronnie

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
A Valk deserves better! Its still me dream bike! Yes I own a Wing but the Valk just drips SEXY! everywhere!

·
Registered
28 Posts
I do agree (wasteful) BUT this oil/ filter, radiator fluid, brake fluid, clutch replacement , rear gear fluid frequent changes gives me something to do (retired) and makes me part of my bike, I enjoy working on my bike, and I have the garage, and tools to do it.....and I know that my $30,000 dollar investment (buying this MC) is not being wasted by letting my bike just rust away..[I happy to say that my 11 yr old (2010) wing has never seen inside a dealership repair shop/ aaaa except for a air filter replacement) .I see MC's outside (uncovered) all winter long with a foot of snow sitting on it (I just cring, when I see that)...............and making my bike go 8,000 miles between oil filter changes/or 24,000 miles between coolant changes 😢 :( (never)............I have a friend that rides a Honda
Valcorlie (spelling) he bought it used five seasons ago, and still has not ever changed his oil and filter, rear shaft fluid, or radiator fluid, and parkes it outside his home without a cover..I find that being very sad..........

Ronnie
Very sad. That means no skills, no motivation and/or no money. Run it till it dies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts