Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm amazed at how solid the bike is. I do hear something shaking/rattling when going over bumps. Something that seems to be loose. I'm curious as to what this may be and it is possible that it is the trunk lid that is making the noise. I did see or hear of issues and certain fixes. I thought I saw rubber bumpers for sale on a website, and saw someone who used the soft velcro in strategic areas. Can anyone tell me of their experience as to validate this for me?

·
Super Moderator
10,003 Posts
Before I would invest in some of those fixes I would be sure it's the lid that is rattling. When the wing is parked can you move the lid up and down with it closed? If not than it's not the lid. May be something inside or perhaps a side lid that rattles. JMHO..

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I have the Rubber Baby Buggy Bumpers and they do a great job of keeping my trunk properly aligned and eliminates those unsightly abrasion marks. The velcro trick just didn't work for me from strictly an aesthetic point of view. I did not install them because I had a " rattle " from that area. But for $10 +/- they can't hurt. Note that some have complained about the trunk lid being to hard to close after install or it closes so tight that the lid won't pop open with the key fob. I did a little filing of the bumpers where necessary to get a nice easy closing without sacrificing a tight fit. :http://wingstuff.com/products/29585-gl1800-gold-wing-rubber-baby-buggy-bumpers?from_search=1

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,630 Posts
First things first: make sure there are no loose items in any of the rear compartments including the GPS cubby in the lower trunk well. It's not uncommon for a teck to leave a tool in somone's bike during PDI, or a fastener could be loose or fallen off. Don't forget the two side passenger trunk compartments as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is the trunk lid....

The lid makes a lot of noise. I took a box to UPS for shipping. It was not small enough to be able to close the lid, so I shut the lid on the box and drove to the store with the lid resting on the box. The bike made NO NOISE going over bumps. Not a sound.

I did have a Honda luggage rack installed. It's a very small rack but when needed, I'm going to put a waterproof bag on there and put the jackets in it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Fix for trunk rattle and chaffing issue

I repaired the trunk lid rattle by applying the soft velcro felt tape to the several contact areas inside of the lid where the paint is scrapping off. This stablizes the lid and stops the rattling.

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I repaired the trunk lid rattle by applying the soft velcro felt tape to the several contact areas inside of the lid where the paint is scrapping off. This stablizes the lid and stops the rattling.
Congrats ! That's one remedy. Cheesy but effective. :D

·
Premium Member
24,123 Posts
I highly doubt anyone will notice. One reason is because the color of my wing is black
Yes Sir. Considering most of the add -on farkles to a Goldwing are just stuck on with double sided sticky tape it seems a logical choice. I'm fearing the day when this Wing becomes unglued .

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.