Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The low tire warning light flashes on occasion. Bike is brand new. I notice this when after being out riding and leaving the bike parked outside into the night. When I start the bike to ride it home or where ever, the light comes on and flashes. I stop, turn the bike off wait a few seconds and then restart. The light stays off.. The light only seems to flash when it sits outside into the night.

Perhaps the tires get hot from riding and then cool down and sets off the warning????

Anyone have a simular experience?

·
Premium Member
5,433 Posts
Mine did this also for the first 1000 miles , I took it back to the dealer and they checked it out and found nothing , but after 1000 miles it hasn't happened no more

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
I'll be dumb and ask the question... Did you check the pressure in the tires when they are cold??

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
No, I did not yet check the air. The air pressure was adjusted at the dealer when I picked the bike up 2 weeks ago. I only see this problem when I take the bike out and leave it outside. The low pressure light comes on when I start the bike up and go home. My thinking is that if the air were actually low, the light would be consistent in coming on like when I take the bike out of the garage the next day or any day.

Tonight I left my G/F's house to come home and it came on and I stopped shut it off 2x and the light kept flashing. I rode it about a half mile and it went off. Makes me think defective sensor.

Bike now has 1300 Miles on it. It will be 3 weeks ago on Thursday night as to when I picked it up.

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
The TPMS is blessing for some and a curse for others. What is the low level threshold pressure that sets off the warning ? Most of us run 41 psi in the front and 40 psi in the rear. Sure, it going to gain and loose a pound or two with temperature. TPMS is not a substitute for a tire pressure gauge. Check the pressure in the morning and tell us what readings you get.

·
Registered
245 Posts
The low tire warning light flashes on occasion. Bike is brand new. I notice this when after being out riding and leaving the bike parked outside into the night. When I start the bike to ride it home or where ever, the light comes on and flashes. I stop, turn the bike off wait a few seconds and then restart. The light stays off.. The light only seems to flash when it sits outside into the night.

Perhaps the tires get hot from riding and then cool down and sets off the warning????

Anyone have a simular experience?
My '12 has 8000 miles on it. Most mornings, even parked in the garage, the low tire pressure light comes on. The only time that I don't get that is right after I have the shop check pressure. I asked them to find out when the indicator is set to go off. Of course, the service manager said he would check. In their defense, I didn't look in my owner's manual either. Shame on me.

I had another owner at the dealer tell me that he ran nitrogen for a while, but it didn't improve the condition. Since we have 100+ degree days and some nights into the 60's, I think the temp changes cause this. Monitoring tire pressure more closely is probably the answer to my issue. This weekend, I am changing back to the E-3's. Maybe that might help, also.:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
Mine did the same thing but it was caused by the nail in the back tire, dealer looked twice (a week apart) before they noticed it. It was a small leak, when the tire heated up the pressure goes up and cleared the alarm. Have a close look. The tire warranty paid for itself in the first week so that was nice.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
I believe the TPMS light blinks when the tire is low (less than 10%) and stays on when the pressure has dropped more than 10%. So according to that the light will blink when you are down less than 4 pounds in either tire and will stay on when you are down more than 4 pounds. I can see where the light would blink when the tires are cold and go out after they heat up..

·
Registered
169 Posts
Mine will flash if I'm one pound low but if only one pound it goes off with a little tire heat. And why they put the valve stem on the left side is beyond me. Its easier to check if they were on the right side.

·
Registered
68 Posts
No, I did not yet check the air. The air pressure was adjusted at the dealer when I picked the bike up 2 weeks ago.

Ummmm... The simplest solution is often the correct one. The TPMS is a system designed to warn you when your tire pressures are below a certain threshold. If the light is flashing, it could be that your tire pressure is lower than the system is set for. If the light goes out, use or temperature could be raising the pressures enough so that the low pressure threshold is overcome.
You should check the TP when cold, and see what the pressure is. Then adjust the pressures so that you have (most accepted pressure by the Goldwing community) 41 front and 42 rear.

By the way, what makes you think that the dealer sent your bike out with correct (per Honda) tire pressure, that his guage was accurate, or that he set it to the accepted tire pressure?
Tires can loose air over time, even short time. This is why we check them routinely. The only way we can really be sure of our tire pressures is to check them ourselves with a known accurate guage. The TPMS is not supposed to take the place of regular pressure checks, but to be an extra safety net.

=Dave=

·
Registered
674 Posts
I had the same problem I was only able to cure the problem by topping off the air before I moved the bike in the morning. The TPMS is very sensitive.

·
Premium Member
113 Posts
It is set to go off around 38 Honda tire pressure is 41 not a big margin.

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
It is set to go off around 38 Honda tire pressure is 41 not a big margin.
On my 09 recommended TP is 36 front and 41 rear. That's what I run mine at and the TPMS light does not come on..

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
I'm going to check my tire pressure in a few moments. Currant temp reading on the display 72 *. ( Cold ) Front 37 psi : Rear 29 psi. I'll check back when I get home with the currant temp and readings.

·
Premium Member
24,648 Posts
For the entire first season, my TPMS was flashing almost every time I rode. Every time I checked, the pressure was down. However, the weather wasn't all that great for riding and the bike sometimes sat for two weeks at a time. I think it took that long for the beads to seat properly. My TPMS light doesn't come on at all anymore, not even when I started the bike up this spring. A quick check with the guage showed no appreciable los of pressure over the winter! I'll see what happens when the new tires ar on tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
24,116 Posts
Came home and checked the tire pressure before I " checked in " ( bike was siting all day under it's cover ). Temperature reading on the display 104*. Front tire registered 40 psi. Rear tire registered 33 psi. What a difference a day makes. The ambient temperature has made all the difference for me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The dealer adj the pressure 3 weeks ago @ 36F 41R.

I was out for a long ride yesterday. The light did not come on at all, even after I rode home in the middle of the night from my G/F's house.

I would think if the tires are low, the light will continue flashing.

I now have 1500 miles on the bike.

·
Registered
68 Posts
The dealer adj the pressure 3 weeks ago @ 36F 41R.

I was out for a long ride yesterday. The light did not come on at all, even after I rode home in the middle of the night from my G/F's house.

I would think if the tires are low, the light will continue flashing.

I now have 1500 miles on the bike.

OK, let's try this again...

Step 1: get a tire gauge.
Step 2: check your tire pressure.

Check your tire pressures when cold. Let us know what the ambient temperature is, and what the readings are.

If you do not have a tire pressure gauge, go buy a good one. You will need it.

Motorcycle tires tend to loose air more readily than car tires do.
Air changes density with temperature. The colder the air, the more dense, so the less pressure.

Your TPMS is supposed to tell you that you should check your tire pressure. If it is flashing, or is steady on, you should listen to it and check your tire pressure.

The other real value of a TPMS is that if you have a pressure loss while riding it will alert you before the handling gets squirrelly, giving you a chance to pull off in a safe manner, rather than in panic mode.

Even with a TPMS, I would recommend that you check your pressures with a good gauge once a week, and before any long trip, as well as during the trip.

So, please go check your tire pressures and let us know what they are, so we have the first piece of information we need to help you.

=Dave=

·
Super Moderator
9,993 Posts
Sounds like you have the problem fixed..

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
OK

Checked and aired up tires 40 Front 42 rear

4 weeks ago when I picked up the bike, the dealer set it at 36F 41R. Today, the front was at 36, the rear was 38... Guess I will have to watch this rear tire.

Perhaps the TPMS was set for 38 and maybe that's why it lit the low pressure light intermittantly versus constant?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts