Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like the pixels are starting to go on the nav screen of my 2012 'wing. I remember seeing somewhere that you can just swap out the screen on these for $100 (rather than $800 for a new cluster), but can't find it now. Warranty is most certainly over (got 132,000 km on her now), so this one will be on my dime. Any thoughts/experience with this failure on such a new bike?

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,096 Posts
My 08 just started, or I just started noticing it , last year.

Well maybe you can get one of your good buddies to help you out.

·
Premium Member
23,784 Posts
Click on the purchase link in the PDF and tell me what you get.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,046 Posts
I was told that damage to the screen is caused by it being exposed to direct sunlight for long periods of time day after day. I always cover the screen when I leave the bike park and the sun will be shining directly on it. I had my 93 Aspy for 23 years and with 210,000 miles on it and had no problem.

·
Administrator
25,938 Posts
I have to agree with Ron as I've seen other types of sun damage on several other products: other motorcycles as well as SxS and ATV models. The plexi screen on RC51s have been known to haze and actually melt from even indirect sunlight. Sunlight has faded shoulder harnesses on SxS units and ATV's have had instrument nacelles (screens and soft touch buttons too) with serious UV damage. And this is in less than a year on the lot, but it costs us when Honda won't cover the claim on our inventory.
Sad, but you have to protect your whole bike. Responsibility of ownership really.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I have to agree with Ron as I've seen other types of sun damage on several other products: other motorcycles as well as SxS and ATV models. The plexi screen on RC51s have been known to haze and actually melt from even indirect sunlight. Sunlight has faded shoulder harnesses on SxS units and ATV's have had instrument nacelles (screens and soft touch buttons too) with serious UV damage. And this is in less than a year on the lot, but it costs us when Honda won't cover the claim on our inventory.
Sad, but you have to protect your whole bike. Responsibility of ownership really.
This problem is so vey common. Look at all those cars with ugly headlight lenses.

·
Premium Member
524 Posts
This problem is so vey common. Look at all those cars with ugly headlight lenses.
And guys like me making decent money polishing the things to look new again.

·
Premium Member
700 Posts
I replace the unit on my new 2008 and it's not a fun task. The entire cluster has to be removed and disassembled. There are 4 small screws on the backside that for the most part are impossible. I ended up destroying the old screen to get it apart. The bezel locks the screen without the screws so needless to say they didn't go back in. Screen works perfect and cost was just over $100 for a brand new unit off eBay. Had I known what a pain it was to replace I wouldn't have done it as I have little use for the screen. I use my phone for Nav not the Honda unit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts