Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

In the red corner, weighing 903 pounds wet, boasting 1832cc, spanning 66.5 inches between contact patches, the Wing of Welfare, the Velvet Glove of Two-Wheel Touring the 2012 Honda Gold Wing. In the blue corner, tipping the scales at a lithe 767 pounds with fluids, displacing 1649cc and with a similar 66.1-inch wheelbase, the Barcalounger Beemer, the German Winnebago, the 2012 BMW K1600GTL.

This two-day, 750-mile heavyweight match was contested on the freeways of California’s Central Valley and on the twisty two-lane roads of the Southern Sierras. The riders/judges for this bout, MO editors Pete Brissette and Tom Roderick, with Maria Sia providing passenger feedback, endured hot and cold temperatures, straight and curvy roadways as well as gravel, tourists and insects in determining the strengths and weaknesses of both bikes.

More: 2012 BMW K1600GTL vs. 2012 Honda Gold Wing Shootout [Video] on Motorcycle.com

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
That was a great comparison between the two best luxury tours. I prefer the Wing, but that BMW does have some nice features.

I was just looking at the just released BMW Scooter. BMW C650 GT 2012 Official HD - S2M BMW

It appears as though it is feature laden as well. This is the bike for when you feel the Goldwing is too much to handle. It looks to be a step or two ahead of my Silverwing and the Burgman. This scooter rocks:

·
Super Moderator
28,453 Posts
Great video & neat stuff on the BMW but there is something special about a Goldwing.

·
Banned
3,192 Posts
Great video & neat stuff on the BMW but there is something special about a Goldwing.
I agree with you. Same holds true for the Silverwing Maxi Scooter. Honda products do well all the way around.

The video of BMW's move into the Maxi scooter market is interesting. I believe I could have three of my used Silverwings for one of these new BMW maxi-scoots. Some people have enough money to spend on motorcycles that it doesn't matter. If that was the case for me..... I would have a 2012 Wing and one of these new Maxi scoots from BMW. It appears to be that much better than the Silverwing.

But I really like the Silverwing. I am on my second one, which is rare for me to double dip on a model.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Somehow I missed the post with the video on the GTL comparo. I'm somewhat surprised at the lack of information offered in it. Neither commentator really said much about either bike that would be in my mind very objective arguement for each one. Almost like they were trying NOT to tread on anyone's toes. The sport rider's tourer is a lame description of the BMW in my books, it's a no brainer with a 150 lb lighter curb weight and a 40 hp advantage. And referring to the Goldwing as the plush two-up luxo-bike has been without saying for well over 20 years and even longer. A bit of a touch on the Beemer's tech advantages (electronic adjustments) but just a tidbit, not much more. 8 minutes of 'already knew' non-information I think:(

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
test rode the bmw back in the summer an hour or so after test riding a 2010 wing

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
OK so give us the goods Doc!. C'mon yer killin' us here;)

·
Premium Member
7,205 Posts
In the red corner, weighing 903 pounds wet, boasting 1832cc, spanning 66.5 inches between contact patches, the Wing of Welfare, the Velvet Glove of Two-Wheel Touring the 2012 Honda Gold Wing. In the blue corner, tipping the scales at a lithe 767 pounds with fluids, displacing 1649cc and with a similar 66.1-inch wheelbase, the Barcalounger Beemer, the German Winnebago, the 2012 BMW K1600GTL.
The heck with the comparison....I was caught up in the pre-fight announcement. A regular Michael Buffer. Well Done.:D

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
OK so give us the goods Doc!. C'mon yer killin' us here;)
you guys already know the answer, bmw makes some fine sport-touring motorcycles ( the new gtl included ) that have some nice accessories

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
@ ya numpty, I meant "your" impression. You know how much we/I value your feedback!!!!!;)

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
@ ya numpty, I meant "your" impression. You know how much we/I value your feedback!!!!!;)
the bmw gtl is not a touring bike we as wing owners are use to. for me it would need a better seat, the handlebars felt more like something from an st1300. it does have a great chassie with plenty of power and fantastic brakes but it still has a sport-tourer feel to it just with larger bags and a trunk

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
See, that wasn't so hard!:D
ALthough I haven't had the chance to ride one, I think it wuold be a great second bike, if I ever had the urge to give up my RC51. Egad, what am I saying?:eek:

·
Premium Member
865 Posts
I had a demo ride on the BMW GLT 1600 two weeks before the Goldwing...I found it uncomfortable compared to the Goldwing. The BMW did not have the storage space, no rack on the trunk..in fact many are using an altered Goldwing rack...I just did not like it...

·
Super Moderator
15,240 Posts
i did the test ride on the bmw and a 2010 wing on the same day last august. have you seen or gotten the new issue of road runner? there is a compairisio of the wing and the gtl. i'll get around to reading it this weekend

1 - 14 of 14 Posts