Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New GW owners, etc.,

Anyone have any experience with accessories for the new 2012. Particularly a luggage rack (the less expensive standard tube racks - do they fit the new trunks?). Any updates or 'pro's' / 'cons' much appreciated for anyone who has already begun to accessorize their new wing!

thanks
Bob

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
I have the Kurakyan rack on my 2009 and like it a lot. Looks great and I put my rackbag on it to carry stuff that I don't want to keep looking for in the trunk. It looks like the trunk on the 2012 is the same as other year 1800's but you should probably check with mfgr first.

http://wingstuff.com/pgroup_detail/3721_chrome_luggage_rack_w_rubber_inlay

Oh, and welcome to the forum from Pa. Ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
515 Posts
2012 stuff looks to be slow in coming. I'm not in a hurry, gotta be the right stuff for me, my dealer gave me $700 in accessories with my purchase. So far have only added the Kury ergo 2 with iso pegs and chrome bar ends. Have the spoiler with brake light ordered, but it is now backordered, expected delivery 8/15.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Hi Bob, I have a luggage rack on my 04. It is a Hondalina rack and looks real nice. It is wonderful it looks so nice as it is rated to carry 2 and 1/2 pounds! Yes, two and one half. So it is basically useless as anything but trim.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks folks for the info and the nice welcome from Two wheel Wing above !

And if the rack is only rated for 2 1/2 pounds I don't guess I need to get to anxious or excited about it !! (that won't cover the wife's makeup kit ... :>)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
IMHO-and don't know for certain-there is no change in the 2012 trunk lid. Note: It's still thin plastic w/an inner thin panel and very susceptible to cracking when a rack is used!
Just one opinion!

·
Registered
515 Posts
I wonder if you could add spacers or some kind of filler between the lid and filler panel to give the trunk more strength?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
There have been all kinds of methods of discussed to use a trunk lid luggage rack.
Star washers, shims between the outer and inner lids, body washers, etc.
IMHO-the outer lid surface is not "square" to the mounting legs of racks for 1800's. Add to that, the fact, I have yet to find one thats sets on the lid and all 4 legs touch the lid. Every one I've tried rocks a little(total of 6), which adds stress to the lid when mounted.
Then 99.9% of users overload the racks + some racks(billet/flat racks) weigh almost the max. for a lid before one ever puts anything on it. Then, thee rear of the rack becomes the easy thing to grab to close the lid! Craaaaaaaaaaaack!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have been very slow to accessorize my 2012 Wing. I have 4400 miles on it and I am glad I waited. My wife no longer wants armrests and I am not sure I want the backrest for me. On my Harley I thought I needed it but now I am not so sure. I did want a luggage rack but I have not been able to find one that I like yet. After reading these comments I may just wait for the hitch to come out pull a trailer like I did with my Ultra and pass on the luggage rack.

WeldNut

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have been very slow to accessorize my 2012 Wing. I have 4400 miles on it and I am glad I waited. My wife no longer wants armrests and I am not sure I want the backrest for me. On my Harley I thought I needed it but now I am not so sure. I did want a luggage rack but I have not been able to find one that I like yet. After reading these comments I may just wait for the hitch to come out pull a trailer like I did with my Ultra and pass on the luggage rack.

WeldNut
And now comes the warning that addiing a trailer hitch means a very high probability of warranty claim rejections for any drive train problems! It even tells you not to tow a trailer in the owners manual!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for the warning; I do know about the hitch voiding the warranty. It also voided the warranty on my UC, but I did it anyway.

WeldNut

·
Super Moderator
28,444 Posts
This is just one Ole Fossil's Opinion but if you find a rack that fits & use it carefully I don't think you will have an issue. The problem comes like Dawg said people overload them. When I have rack bag on I put raingear & bike cover in it. Maybe a few misc items like water bottle or such & never had a problem. Star Washers I would say are a must as well as carefully opening the trunk but like anything else as long as you know the limitations & abide by them you shouldn't have an issue.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Just installed a Kury hitch for a customer this week, went slick as anything. Honda doesn't even recommend towing with most of their autos! Wouldn't worry about warranty issues, with the high percentage of Wings that have trailers behind them, kind of rates up there wuth the heel and toe shifter thing (got one of them on mine). My rack actually mounted quite well and I put the bigger feet/extenders on it (Kuryakin). But yes, the weight is an issue. Missus don't get to load that bag! The '12 trunk is identical to the '10and earlier (my biggest complaint about the styling of the '12) and it looks funny to me; takes away from the new smoother flowing lines of the bodywork.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
I have a Mustang seat and back rest on my VTX. It is comfortable and I like it. I do not have one on my 04 Wing (factory seat). The way the driver sits down in the seat seems to have a little back support, I havent ever felt the need for more. One of my trips was about 6000 miles. 113,000 miles total since I bought it new. (Runs like a top).

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Just installed a Kury hitch for a customer this week, went slick as anything. Honda doesn't even recommend towing with most of their autos! Wouldn't worry about warranty issues
I wouldn't worry either! Do what ever you want. It's your bike. It's only approx. 4,000+ to repair a trashed tranny. Everbody's got that much laying in the petty cash drawer.
, with the high percentage of Wings that have trailers behind them,
The actual percentage of trailer towers vs all the Wings and other bikes out there is actually rather low. But then that has nothing to do w/a factory rep denying a warranty claim or an honest dealer having a violating Wing's VIN flagged in the warranty systems for all dealers to see.
kind of rates up there wuth the heel and toe shifter thing (got one of them on mine).
That is correct- a heel and toe shifter does rank right up there as a non-approved modification made!
My rack actually mounted quite well and I put the bigger feet/extenders on it (Kuryakin). But yes, the weight is an issue. Missus don't get to load that bag! The '12 trunk is identical to the '10and earlier (my biggest complaint about the styling of the '12) and it looks funny to me; takes away from the new smoother flowing lines of the bodywork.
Said enough about the warranty claim rejection possibilities. It's your bike and money, do whatever you want.

·
Super Moderator
9,849 Posts
I've had racks on my 98 GL1500 and my 09 GL1800 and never had a crack or problem with them. I use the Kuryakayn bag and carry stuff like camera, rain gear, road atlas, hats jackets or sweatshirts without any problem.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts