Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new 2012 GL1800. Does anyone have any experience with the Utopia backrest on this model? If so, comments and installation experience requested.
Thanks
Jim

·
Banned
3,204 Posts

Welcome to the forum from Seattle.

I have to wait until 2022 to answer your question, as that is when I will be able to afford a 2012. In the mean time.... enjoy that new bike of yours. I am sure there will be people coming along shortly that do have experience with that.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Love my Utopia. I've installed one on my 08 and my bud's 10. Do you suspect there is a difference between the 2012 and the 10 model seat ? Here is Steve Saunders take of the Utopia Backrest installation :

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, the Honda dealer does not have any driver backrest for the 2012 yet. Honda changed the seat somewhat and Utopia is the only company that I can find that says they have the backrest for it. They unfortunatley only show how to install it on the previous models.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Not saying for sure, but I'd guess the installation is the same for the 2012 as previous. If Utopia already has the backrests for the 2012 model, the change can't be that significant in the construction of the seatpan or the backrest. They were a great help when I did mine, so I'd call or e-mail them with your concerns. I really like my rest (as do just about all other owners) and everyone I talk to if they don't know any better thinks it's stock.

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Here is one comment I got from the " other place ". The rider who posted this advertizes he rides a 2012 : " The seat is thicker on the 2012. Utopia is coming up with a new bracket for the 2012, according to Venco Wings ". That's all I know right now.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Utopia Backrest

I'm disabled and the Utopia Backrest is a godsend for me. I found it to be a pain in the ass to install (I actually paid a friend $50.00 to install and only helped, it took 3 hrs; however, I and apparently my friend are mechanically challenged. :)) The backrest is great, very sturdy and well make. Good Luck.
T-Rex

·
Premium Member
23,770 Posts
Update for you 2012 Goldwing owners. I saw a picture posted by an owner of a White 2012 with an Utopia Backrest mounted. They are available, at least for some.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Jim,

I have the Utopia backrest on order for my 2012. Utopia manufactures these make to order. It is suppose to ship August 8th. After watching the video, installation looks fairly straight forward. Will let you know if I run into any problems. After looking at all the options I believe this backrest is the hands down winner.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Got in and installed it.

Called Utopia to order one and the lady there said that if I did not want to wait I could call a couple of Honda Dealers that she had just sent some out to. I called Niehaus Cycle Sales in Litchfield Il and they had one they would send me (same price at Utopia). Got it in two days and installed it in less than an hour. NICE!

·
Banned
3,204 Posts
Called Utopia to order one and the lady there said that if I did not want to wait I could call a couple of Honda Dealers that she had just sent some out to. I called Niehaus Cycle Sales in Litchfield Il and they had one they would send me (same price at Utopia). Got it in two days and installed it in less than an hour. NICE!
We could all use some "good shopping" classes.... Would you be available to help us out?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Saw the bike at Niehaus Cycle yesterday with the utopia backrest installed, looked good, felt good, may have to consider one as long as it doesn't encroach on mama's seat too much.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Installed my Utopia backrest this afternoon. Have not tested it 2 up, however don't think it will be a problem for the passenger. My big concern was that it would be in the way when the wife dismounted. It moves far enough forward that this will not be a problem. Believe the backrest will be a real back saver on long trips. Money well spent.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The wife likes mine. Does not get in her way and she really likes the pouch on the back of the backrest. It folds forward to keep out of her way when dismounting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts