Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have owned the bike since 12/5/11.
Im now within 200 miles of 12k.

Ill start with the bad stuff then cheer you up with the good.

Bad :
1. Leg room Leg Room Leg room. (Ive said this many times).
2. The Wing wobble - even with a new tire - is annoying.
3. New set of tires already showing signs of wear running 41 psi in both and 45 psi in rear when two up with dyna beads installed.
4. Throttle sticks on occasion.
5. ABS - I dont like it on a bike (and is one reason I bought this model). I intentionally tried them out once and HAD to try them out a single time on the road. I dont like the feeling of being out of control of whats going on on the bike .. when the abs computer kicks in, you loose the brake lever ... I prefer linked only.
6. The stock seat feels like it pushes me forward. I have to keep scooting back

Good :
1. Power
2. Handling
3. Storage
4. Passenger comfort
5. cost of Service plan - $1700 bucks 3yr unlimited mileage local dealer ... they will be loosing money on the deal if you look at the mileage I put on my bike.
6. Windshield vent in hot weather.

I have over $2800 of installed accessories (waiting on ~600 in Kuryakyn lights due out in Jun). I can provide input on these to anyone wanting it .. So far, I have no major complaints about any of this stuff .. any negatives are listed.

Kuryakyn
2234 Led Driving Lights
7445 Lighted fork tower
7303 Led fender accent
7455 Led front reflector conversion
3219 Trunk key hole trim
8991 Passenger Arm Rest
4038 Driver Floor board Kit
7104 Stand Right Kick Stand
4073 Egro II HWY Pegs w/mini arms

OEM Rear spoiler
12vdc Fairing socket
MBL Wide Version. Repositions grips 3/4" up, 1-3/8" back, same width as stock

Utopia Backrest - This isnt a good option, it definitely pushes me forward even when adjusted all the way back. In addition, it cuts down on the room that the passenger has.

Cobra Scalloped Slip on sku 1215
Add on luggage rack and bag - bumps up against the spoiler.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I agree with the leg room and I'm 5' 11". Could use more. The wobble drives me crazy. I didn't have it with the original tire but when I changed it and went with dyna beads I got it and tire life went from 11,000 miles to 8,000. Now I have centramatics and still have it but at speed it is smooth. I'm also not too happy with the utopia back rest but aside from all that I do love how the bike handles and the power is awesome.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I stand 6' 1" and do have a problem with leg room. I have floorboards on order. After 458 miles on my 2012 I find I love it. The 1995 aspy I had was comfy but a real cow to handle at low speeds. It just felt heavy. The 2012 fi maks a big difference. I have not felt the wobble yet and have tried to induce it.
All-in-all, Great ride.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
I wonder if its the 2012.

I have the 02 and have no problem with leg room. I'm 6 flat. I have never experienced the Wobble.
I didn't like the backrest until Chopin gave me some hints on adjusting it and now I can't live without it.

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
Your problems are easily fixed
1. Leg room Leg Room Leg room. (Ive said this many times).
Your spending a lot of money on farkles, spend some on a custom seat, many will raise you up and move you back a few inches. Try a wingsoft large seat mod

2. The Wing wobble - even with a new tire - is annoying.
The head bearings need to be tightened or replaced with all balls bearings.

3. New set of tires already showing signs of wear running 41 psi in both and 45 psi in rear when two up with dyna beads installed.
I think your running over manufacturers specs for air, try 38 front and 42 rear, don't increase for 2 up as 42 if I remember right is MAX air pressure.

4. Throttle sticks on occasion.
Might need lube or try sliding the back a bit.

5. ABS - I dont like it on a bike (and is one reason I bought this model). I intentionally tried them out once and HAD to try them out a single time on the road. I dont like the feeling of being out of control of whats going on on the bike .. when the abs computer kicks in, you loose the brake lever ... I prefer linked only.
Not much you can do about that, you bought an ABS bike

6. The stock seat feels like it pushes me forward. I have to keep scooting back .
Here is a link to WingSoft large seat
http://www.bikesolutionsllc.com/WingSoft Large/WingSoft Large.htm

·
Registered
96 Posts
I wonder if its the 2012.

I have the 02 and have no problem with leg room. I'm 6 flat. I have never experienced the Wobble.
I didn't like the backrest until Chopin gave me some hints on adjusting it and now I can't live without it.
Do tell the hints if this is for a Utopia.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
I own a 2012 and I get no wobble at all, the only negative I get is in the A.M when I first take off Low speed through my neighborhood is a surging while the bike is still warming up.

·
Banned
3,114 Posts
Thank you and all of the others for your appraisals. I am considering going from a 1500 to an 1800, or not.

I think my 1500 would outlast me but it is my choice of which motorcycle I ride...... I didn't marry the 1500, I just lived with her for awhile.

·
Premium Member
7,556 Posts
Thank you and all of the others for your appraisals. I am considering going from a 1500 to an 1800, or not.

I think my 1500 would outlast me but it is my choice of which motorcycle I ride...... I didn't marry the 1500, I just lived with her for awhile.
Funny, we get our bikes fixed up just like we like them and sell and start all over again. Been there, done that. I think as long as my 1500 remains reliable and gives me the confidence that I can ride anywhere (on asphalt), I'll keep her. With aging and income potential it makes more sense to me to keep Joel's bike and ride it as long as I can. Yesterday I was climbing on my bike at Lowe's and a guy in a Mustang next to me said he just sold his 1500 and traded it for an 1800 Trike. I asked him what color it was and he said same as yours; green. I asked him how much he got for it and he said 6800. I thought it was pretty high on a trade in but they may also have built in a healthy profit on the trike. Makes my total investment of 5k for my 95 Aspencade still pretty good.

·
Registered
329 Posts
The Utopia takes some adjusting to get right, mine is different depending how many layers I have on. I just reach behind and adjust the screw a half a turn up or down to get it right. I also had to shim up the left side with a washer because it was just a bit off of my back and very uncomfortable, I was actually twisted when I leaned into it. Much better now.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
@joe in calif

This isnt my first rodeo. Change the seat and it creates other issues... reach to handlebars, width of handlebars, foot/leg position on/to ground etc etc.

Probably better to explore modifying the stock seat. Only aftermarket I would spend money on is Ultimate.

If I change the air pressure to stock, the wear will be even worse as with the original set.

@two wheel wing
Risers wont help this situation
The deck of the rack isnt the problem, the, ummm guess, stands are. The rack deck doesnt hit the top of the spoiler, the rear "legs" just hits the front/forward side of the spoiler.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
So ! Do you want to keep the Wing or Trade for something more satisfactory to you ? I have some issues with discomfort being as i am 350# and 6 ' 3 ' , but nothing like the problems that you have described . I think if i had that much problem with mine it would be FOR SALE tomorrow . Wings aren't for everyone ! Good luck !!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Check the classifieds !!

In fact, this is another downside of this bike. The resale isnt any better than any other bike. I bought it in December. Now that NADA / KBB first quarter numbers are out (the black book is really the place to go though) Ive found its trade value is only 17,500. Thats confirmed with an appraisal given by Honda and Harley. I looked for the emails I received but have already deleted them.

Im not bashing the bike. Im stating fact, especially for those who come here with the questions related to a new purchase. Ive been riding for some time and have found, ALWAYS, that many choose not to expose the down side, be totally and brutally honest, about their bikes. Every single bike that Ive owned has had them.

At any rate, Ill still make the bike my own... the wife is dead set against getting rid of it. If someone comes along that wants to buy it, Ill sell it until then I continue adding to the over 12k miles I already have on it (I need to update my sig).

But in the end, the good stuff is good and the bad stuff is bad.

·
Administrator
25,864 Posts
Remember that when you trade in a bike you get wholesale value, not 'retail' as the dealer has to build in some margin for resale. Kelly BB values are based on 'actual dealer reported' selling prices.
Your other reported comments are very informative I think. Obviously there is no one motorcycle that is going to ring the bell for every person out there, and you have some personal disappointments and found shortcomings with your Wing. Unfortunate yes, but sounds honest and to the point.
I would personally disagree with the ABS but we can agree to disagree all day on the merits/flaws in that. I have no complaints with the seating or the Utopia rest (I'm just under 5'11") or the reach to the bars on my 1800. Foot-room I found more cramped than my 1500 was, but highway and footboards fixed that. The Kuryakin trunk racks do not contact the OEM spoiler so I wonder what rack you have. The Hondaline rack will NOT fit with the spoiler. I have over 12k miles on my OEM Dunlops but they are due for replacement very shortly and I run 41/42 psi fr/rr. No wobble that I know of (I've mentioned before that I don't know for sure since I ride with my hands on the bars, 'nuff said on that).
My personal complaints with the 1800 is the lack of electric adjustment on the shield (bet nobody has ever heard me say that before:p), and the stereo could use some more punch. Front forks are a dated design, but they do work. Fairing vents suck IMO. Air filter inspection/replacement is for the birds too, but that's life.
Overall, I'd rate the Wing as a solid 9 out of 10 for me. Performance, comfort, reliability, low maintenance (compared to virtually any other touring bike) is vastly superior to any other bike bike I've owned, tested and ridden for any length of time.

·
Premium Member
1,384 Posts
I guess it is like a pebble in the shoe . How much discomfort one is willing to accept !

·
Registered
507 Posts
Just had the 12k service on mine at the dealers expense like sumncguy, plus new tires. At the $300-350 expense per 4000mi service, the expense of the pro care will more than pay for itself. At 6'2" and 230lbs, I am comfortable, ride mostly on the pegs but do have the iso pegs on the crash bars. I find backpain to be my biggest challenge, get pain in behind my left shoulder blade, the consequence of the broken ribs from the accident I assume. Started using a back support belt for longer rides, seems to help along with some intermittant stretching. Good luck finding your comfort zone sumncguy.

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
Just had the 12k service on mine at the dealers expense like sumncguy, plus new tires. At the $300-350 expense per 4000mi service, the expense of the pro care will more than pay for itself. At 6'2" and 230lbs, I am comfortable, ride mostly on the pegs but do have the iso pegs on the crash bars. I find backpain to be my biggest challenge, get pain in behind my left shoulder blade, the consequence of the broken ribs from the accident I assume. Started using a back support belt for longer rides, seems to help along with some intermittant stretching. Good luck finding your comfort zone sumncguy.
What's the link to this ProCare you speak of?

·
Registered
507 Posts
It was offered when I purchased the bike, called Hoda Pro Care, all factory recommended service provided for 3 years includes parts/fluids and labor, mine is completed every 4k.

OK, I just checked my service tickets, the latest was the most expensive at $371 with air filter and fluid changes, but still over $600in service and I haven't owned it a year yet. I figure at this rate I'll definately have the 32K valve check done at their expense.:D

·
Premium Member
7,167 Posts
It was offered when I purchased the bike, called Hoda Pro Care, all factory recommended service provided for 3 years includes parts/fluids and labor, mine is completed every 4k.

OK, I just checked my service tickets, the latest was the most expensive at $371 with air filter and fluid changes, but still over $600in service and I haven't owned it a year yet. I figure at this rate I'll definately have the 32K valve check done at their expense.:D
I see....this is for 2012's. I didn't know if they offer something for my 2002. That is a great deal though. That would definitely pay for itself quickly.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts