Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know how warm the electric hand warmers are supposed to get? I took my NEW Wing in today for the 700 mile service and asked to have them checked. The service rep said he didn't know. Does or is there a specification for just how hot they are supposed to get? I tried them out with gloves on and I couldn't tell if they were on or not. I took my gloves off and yes, they were warm, but who rides on a cold day without gloves on? The heated grips are supposed to warm your hands with your gloves ON. My BMW grips would just cook! Great grips. Please advise. Yes, I had the dial turned all the way up for about an hour. So far, I'm not impressed!
Thanks much

·
Super Moderator
14,411 Posts
My had grips get plenty warm. I hardly ever run them on the highest setting, usually down around 3 is plenty warm enough. Sounds like something is not hooked up correctly.

·
Super Moderator
9,845 Posts
The grips have a set temp range and will not work/run if the outside temp is not very cold. Perhaps it was a warm day when you tried them. Take a ride up into the CA mountains where there is snow and check them out...

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
If the service tech is the same one who told you to bring your bike in for a 700 miles service, he doesn't know what he's talking about, the bike does not require a 700 mile service, the first service is at 4,000 miles, tell him you want a refund on a service that he did that is not required, tell him to show you where Honda calls for that service in the owners manual.
He probably doesn't do much work on a Gold Wing and I would find another dealer, your warranty is good at any Honda dealer.

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Ditto on what Joe said and it's true because I am a dealer. It's a marketing ploy and that's all. The grips don't actually operate on the ambient temp; only the seat. Therre is a trouble shoot for the heated parts in the service manual. I did have a hard copy somwhere but it's missing right now. I'll look around or print out another.

·
Registered
168 Posts
My 2010 heats up so hot it would be uncomfortable without gloves. I have only ridden in 55 degree temps, and running them on 3 is plenty warm, and on high they were way too hot.;)

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Ditto on what Joe said and it's true because I am a dealer. It's a marketing ploy and that's all. The grips don't actually operate on the ambient temp; only the seat. Therre is a trouble shoot for the heated parts in the service manual. I did have a hard copy somwhere but it's missing right now. I'll look around or print out another.
I have the manual, budoka. What page do you need ?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Oops, my bad. It was a bulletin from Honda Canada. I have some digging to do. I hard copied it and filed it in my office:eek:

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Whew, found it. Locknut, PM me your e-mail and I'll forward the troubleshoot to you. I sent this to another member a while back and I think it helped him so it should help you. It may require a dealer to do an actual repair since it very well might require contacting Honda Techline and only a dealer can do that. Any repair that is required is warranty applicable as long as you don't try and do something foolish on your on and damage anything.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Heated Grip Problem Solved

Members:
Thank you for your help. The problem was someone didn't plug them in and the dealer missed it at the Pre Delivery Inspection.

I picked up my bike and on the way home, turned the grips on, cranked up the seat temp and it works great. Best to find this out now before it gets really cold and then they don't work.

I'm a happy camper now!
Locknut
:)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I have always wondered why anyone wants heated grips? My palms don't get cold! It's the backs of my hands, hence electric gloves
:rolleyes: :D
Just kidding.

·
Premium Member
23,767 Posts
Just had mine on today for a little trip up to Lancaster, PA this morning and the return trip this evening. Temps around 60 to 65 * and as I ride bare handed the heat made me feel all warm and cozy.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
They are wired together, if one doesn't work none of them will work.

·
Registered
109 Posts
700 mile check up?? Wow...I thought they did not want to see you until the irst warranted miles??
You got a good dealer.
Chrisgl1800

1 - 14 of 14 Posts