Honda Goldwing Forum banner

21 - 40 of 53 Posts

·
Premium Member
431 Posts
Hi Rapier

Exactly as you have, I don't know. But I do know comfort and it is a trial amd error proposition. If you are 45 bucks away from being comfortable, spend it. Before you spend it, are you sure 2 inches will do it?

Maybe the dealer will help a little (doesn't hurt to ask).

·
Registered
155 Posts
I ordered the Kuryakyn that has the 3" swing front or back which gives me a 6" area to play with. I will have to see how this works out once I get them.

·
Registered
466 Posts
First question I have is, How Tall are you?
If you are one of the many 6' or taller guys with an inseam of 34" or more, you won't like the Ergo II arms that come with it.
I bought the Mini Arms along with the Ergo II set and Mini Wing Boards.

Just for the heck of it, I installed it with the long arms and took them right back off. If you are anywhere near "Tall", then you should really look at the mini arms for the Ergo II kit.

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
OK, so I got the Ergo II's with the Dually pegs. I am in a bit of a quandry because I've noticed that I'm getting near muscle strain from spreading my legs wide enough to get my feet on the damn things. Sort of like I have to make a choice to either have a straighter leg with some sore muscles later or bent leg with an uncomfortable unability to move my legs much (other than to have my arch on the stock pegs or to move my feet back so that just the toes on them.) I'm seriously looking at spending the extra $45 for the 4 inch arms rather than continuing to use the 6 inch just to get a little less bend at the knee.

Has anyone else experienced this same quandry?

Chopin and I swapped his boards for my pegs as an experiment this week, but so far I'm still having that same "my feet are nearly in gyno stirrups" feeling! (Ask yer wife/GF - she'll understand completely, I'm sure!)

Rapier
I was wondering how it was going. Back to the drawing board ?

·
Registered
466 Posts
I can get some pictures today of my set-up if ya want.
As for the leg spread problem? The only way I see to get around that is to get the Mic-o-pegs.
Anything you mount on the engine guards is going to spread your legs and make you "Stratle the Buffalo" as I have heard it called before. I have the same problem but have just learned to live with it as I see no other solution. The longer 6" or 4" arms will make you not spread your legs so far but if you have a long leg, you will have the problem of not being able to stretch out and still be uncomfortable.
I found that with the Mini Arms, I am able to almost fully extend my legs, I can actually completely straighten my legs if I rest my heal on top of the pegs but 80 mph tends to try and blow them off and It's a battle to keep your feet in place.

The plain simple fact is, the further forward you mount the pegs, the more you have to wrap your legs around the fairing to get to them. I started out with the mini arms pointing towards the front of the bike. This was perfect as far as letting my legs stretch out but the trade off was my calf riding on the edge of the fairing. So I moved them 180 degrees and pointed them towards the back. That brings them about 4" or so back and turns out it is the best compromise I could come up with.

Just for the hell of it, I pointed the arms down below the engine guards. At this position, me legs were fully extended and they were nowhere near the fairing and felt like I was not in a gynecologist chair! The only problem is you CAN NOT corner with them like that. There is no way you can use them in that location.
This is why I think the Mic-o-pegs (as much as I think they are butt ugly) are the best solution to this problem.
The "Happy Spot" seems to be way below the crash bars. I am seriously thinking about buying a set of mic-o's. I wish I knew someone close to me who had a set installed so I could test them out first though!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
First question I have is, How Tall are you?
If you are one of the many 6' or taller guys with an inseam of 34" or more, you won't like the Ergo II arms that come with it.
I bought the Mini Arms along with the Ergo II set and Mini Wing Boards.

Just for the heck of it, I installed it with the long arms and took them right back off. If you are anywhere near "Tall", then you should really look at the mini arms for the Ergo II kit.
I'm 6'0" with a 32 inch inseam. I'm thinking that maybe the 4.5 inch arms might do the trick.

Thanks for the advice!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
The boards are nice, Lee, but I think that I'll go for the 4.5 inch arms with the pegs.

Speaking of which, what's your take on the pegs now that you've had them for a couple of days?

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
I wish I knew someone close to me who had a set installed so I could test them out first though!
Yeah, me too, Buzzy. Sure would make the hit on the wallet a lot easier knowing that what you want would be exactly what is needed before dropping the $300.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yeah, me too, Buzzy. Sure would make the hit on the wallet a lot easier knowing that what you want would be exactly what is needed before dropping the $300.
Well get this. I am a machinist and I am a CNC Programmer and I have access to all the material I need.

I am seriously thinking about designing and making an "adapter" for the Ergo II mount that will let me install the 6" arm that came with the kit and have them spring loaded with an upper and lower "stop" that will let me use them almost like the Mic-o-pegs.

I have a couple of ideas so far but I really have not put much effort into actually drawing it up. It would need to be a pretty compact adapter or it will extend the pegs out even further and it would need to be able to withstand a 300 lb man standing on it without breaking.
No I am not 300lbs but I figure that would be the upper limit of a rider.

I'll keep you posted on my idea!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Well get this. I am a machinist and I am a CNC Programmer and I have access to all the material I need.

I am seriously thinking about designing and making an "adapter" for the Ergo II mount that will let me install the 6" arm that came with the kit and have them spring loaded with an upper and lower "stop" that will let me use them almost like the Mic-o-pegs.

I have a couple of ideas so far but I really have not put much effort into actually drawing it up. It would need to be a pretty compact adapter or it will extend the pegs out even further and it would need to be able to withstand a 300 lb man standing on it without breaking.
No I am not 300lbs but I figure that would be the upper limit of a rider.

I'll keep you posted on my idea!
Yes, please do! Oh, and if ya need a tester for this that is in the 240 lb range, I'm yer guy!

·
Registered
466 Posts
Yes, please do! Oh, and if ya need a tester for this that is in the 240 lb range, I'm yer guy!
I'll go ya one better. I am 6' 1" @ 255 lbs.

Matter of fact, believe it or not, I started 2010 weighing in at 310 lbs.
I started a diet and lifestyle change on February 1st and have lost 55 lbs.

And we are not done yet, the wife has lost 30 lbs and together we just Max out the weight limit on the Wing.........lmao.
By Xmas I plan to be around 220-230 and 2011 will be one hell of a new Year!

Want to see something that will blow your socks off? Here is a picture of me and the wife New Years day 2010 in Austin, Tx.

And this is a Picture taken in Leakey Texas on the "Three Sisters" May 29th 2010.

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
The boards are nice, Lee, but I think that I'll go for the 4.5 inch arms with the pegs.

Speaking of which, what's your take on the pegs now that you've had them for a couple of days?
Sir Rapier. I haven't rode the bike since Sunday. I did wash it yesterday, however ; even shined up YOUR foot pegs ( possession is 9/10ths of responsibility ). But I can state that on my ride back from from the Texas Roadhouse I felt naked in the foot area. When we get you settled I'm sure we will both be happy. I think " buzzy " has a plan that he needs to bring to fruition. Jeez guys, at 180lbs , I suddenly feel like a featherweight. Time for the protein drink.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sir Rapier. I haven't rode the bike since Sunday. I did wash it yesterday, however ; even shined up YOUR foot pegs ( possession is 9/10ths of responsibility ). But I can state that on my ride back from from the Texas Roadhouse I felt naked in the foot area. When we get you settled I'm sure we will both be happy. I think " buzzy " has a plan that he needs to bring to fruition. Jeez guys, at 180lbs , I suddenly feel like a featherweight. Time for the protein drink.
Damn shame both of you don't live closer to Texas! I think both of ya would be a blast to ride with!
You guys ever make a trip to Texas, look my arse up, It would be a pleasure to play around a bit!

Did I mention that the best BBQ in the WORLD is right here in my back yard? No, Really, in my back yard on MY PIT..........lol

·
Registered
466 Posts
Hey " Rap " ! What are you doing Sunday ? We just got invited to Texas.
Hey, tell ya what. I just made reservations in Austin Wydham for July 3rd thru July 5th. Willie Nelson is having his annual Hill Country Picnic Bash in Bee Cave, Tx Sunday July 4th.
You make it here that weekend and I can accommodate 2 more people. If your Wife's are coming, you would need to get another room as these are not set up to sleep 6.

The rooms are 530 sq foot 2 room suites with kitchen, separate bedroom, fridge, 2 TV's, covered patio, and the pool is 20 feet from your door.
Suites are $118 a night at the AAA rate or $139 regular price.
Willie's concert is $55 a ticket.

This is a standing invitation, bring it on!!

Besides, if you guys go, that will be an excuse to go ride the "Twisted Sisters" again in Leakey!! Whoop Whoop!!:cool::D:cool:

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Damn shame both of you don't live closer to Texas! I think both of ya would be a blast to ride with!
You guys ever make a trip to Texas, look my arse up, It would be a pleasure to play around a bit!

Did I mention that the best BBQ in the WORLD is right here in my back yard? No, Really, in my back yard on MY PIT..........lol
Well, we're not boring, I think. :) And we do like to ride more than talk most days... hehe

Apparently I like to eat more than Maestro though... And it shows! But I'm trying to lose some weight as well. Down 10 pounds since late May. My congratulations to you both for doing so well!!!

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Hey " Rap " ! What are you doing Sunday ? We just got invited to Texas.
As much as I'd like to go, I am spoken for for Sunday. Going to see my grandson and his family for the first time since he's been released from the hospital. Can't wait to look at him and say "Mason, to answer the question you'll one day ask, no, you cannot have a ride with me until your feet touch the passenger floorboards!"

·
Premium Member
23,760 Posts
Can't wait to look at him and say "Mason, to answer the question you'll one day ask, no, you cannot have a ride with me until your feet touch the passenger floorboards!"
Do you want to tell the gang now, or later, that your last name is " Jar " ? 1,002 posts and counting up. It's all about the numbers.

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Do you want to tell the gang now, or later, that your last name is " Jar " ? 1,002 posts and counting up. It's all about the numbers.
You're just jealous cause he'll be called that for life, Marine! :p

Mason Michael Sanders, born at 24 weeks on 27 Jan at 1 lb, 12 oz. He is truly a miracle baby that finally came home on Jun 14 at 7 lbs, 8 oz.

·
Registered
466 Posts
You're just jealous cause he'll be called that for life, Marine! :p

Mason Michael Sanders, born at 24 weeks on 27 Jan at 1 lb, 12 oz. He is truly a miracle baby that finally came home on Jun 14 at 7 lbs, 8 oz.
WOW!!! I am very happy for you and that truly is a miracle!
I have a friend who's daughter was born very early. It was the tiniest little thing you ever saw. The most fragile and cutest little thing I ever saw.

Congrats! and I am so very happy all turned out well!

21 - 40 of 53 Posts