Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I would like to buy some "hi-way pegs" for my Wing. I am considering the Kuryakyn "1800 Ergo II Cruise Mounts with Dually ISO Pegs".
Anyone have these installed, reviews? Any other suggestions? I don't want floorboards. Just something that will allow me to stretch my legs on longer rides.

Also - just wondering how much air I should feel coming from the vents (one on each side, down low in the fairing)? With them open and running about 65MPH I don't feel much air coming out of them?

Thanks!
Rob

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Rob,

I found that the vents don't put the air straight back at your legs, but rather out at about a 40 degree angle. Pretty non-functional in assisting in keeping the rider cool, IMHO.

And yeah, after riding for a couple of weeks, I am also looking at the same set of pegs. Looks like a good choice to me. YMMV, though...

Rapier

·
Premium Member
23,775 Posts
Those vents are a curious little item. Obviously a passive air flow system ! I'm going to check my shop manual and look for a schematic on it. Seems they could have better used that space for another storage compartment. I have the highway Floorboards and I'm happy with the large surface area it affords me. The only aspect I'm not happy with is that the 6 in. extension that come " standard " with it put the floorboard closer to the foot pegs than I would like. Kuryakan DOES !, however, offer a 4 in. extension ( for a mere $45.00 )that would move it all forward. Hey Kuryakan! Why not make it a choice when ordering! That's just bull poop.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
The vents are useless, actually more warm air comes through them than cold air, I leave mine closed. Foot pegs are a must, when you mount them make sure you don't have them hanging to low or you will hit in the tight twisties. I mount mine one notch above center, but do what feels good for you.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
You don't get a whole lot of air out of those vents, but you will like the Dually ISO Pegs. I have them on my 09 and love them.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I have the Ergo mounts with the boards. Like Joe says (yeesh, is he ever wrong? hehe) I had to change the mount angle up a notch, scared the bejeebers outa me on the first tight twisty I carved. Luckily didn't scratch the underside hardly at all. Time will tell if I get any rust coming through.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I just ordered my mounts and pegs based on this conversation. Budoka, got a picture of your set-up so I have a better idea of how I should mount my set?

Rapier

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
I'll see what I can do for ya buddy!

·
Registered
217 Posts
I just purchased the Kuryakyn 1800 Ergo II Cruise Mounts with Dually ISO Pegs for my 2010...love them...installed on Sunday...went out into the rain and tried them...I stopped four times in parking lots to adjust...but think I finally got them right....Have fun and safe ride....

As for the air vents....in the lower fairing....I have yet to determine if any air comes out of them...hot or cold....I find real no difference having the vents open or closed.....

I do find some heat coming from the side lower vents below the engine which open and close by the "switch" below the speakers....

I think the vents in the fairing were placed so Honda could say they had vents....

·
Registered
449 Posts
go to Ebay and type this item number in...160419272445

This will take you to some that are only $150.00 with FREE shipping. Heck I just bought a set.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the input!!
I ordered the Ergo II Cruise Mounts with Dually ISO Pegs from Cyclemax in Ohio today. Should be here in a couple days.
Also thanks for the vent info. Seems most agree - they don't do much. I believe my GL1500 vents worked much better, but that was a while ago.
Rob

·
Registered
157 Posts
I am using the Ergo II Cruise Mounts with the iso wings and they help a lot. As far as the vents go; they open by the engine and bring fresh air across the engine forcing slightly with warm air. They are designed to help keep your lower part of your leg/feet warmer during the cooler temps.

just a thought

dd

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I'll see what I can do for ya buddy!
Need your support, Budoka. Got the pegs in hand and can see already that whoever wrote the installation instructions isn't an average joe. This average joe has never dealt with a clevis that I know of! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
217 Posts
Need your support, Budoka. Got the pegs in hand and can see already that whoever wrote the installation instructions isn't an average joe. This average joe has never dealt with a clevis that I know of! :rolleyes:
You think the directions were bad on the highway pegs...you should see the directions on the Kyr - Floor Boards and toe-heal shifter...let me tell you getting the brake lever on the knurreled end was a picnic.....:rolleyes:....I installed them last night....after two bottles of soda (maybe I should of had beer) and three hours later I was back up and running.....they look great along with the new Kry Euro Pegs.....

Have Fun...If I can help let me know since I just did it on my 2010.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the Ergo 2's. Put them on last night. Will ride today and make final adjustments. Kuryakyn makes nice stuff, but as others have noted - the written instructions and pictures were hard to understand and of little help to me.

Why does a company make nice stuff like these pegs and then supply such lousy instructions? Bet they get lots of calls for technical help.

Ride Safe!
Rob

·
Premium Member
19 Posts

FWIW

No idea about the '10, but the manual for my '08 says that both the side and lower vents are for warm air. The uppers are called, "Side Warmer Ventilation Louvers" and the ones at your feet, "Foot Warmer Ventilation Louvers".

It doesn't mention how much air should actually come out of them...

Regards,

Randy

·
Registered
155 Posts
I just ordered a set of Highway pegs for my new Goldwing. Rode it Satruday for about 50 miles and Sunday for 50 miles and realized that I need to stretch my legs out some. The Goldwing setup keeps my legs tucked under me a little and it gets uncomfortable after a while. I have a 34' inseam. Maybe it is just me. I got used to the highway pegs on my other bike. So far, the Goldwing seems like an amazing bike.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
OK, so I got the Ergo II's with the Dually pegs. I am in a bit of a quandry because I've noticed that I'm getting near muscle strain from spreading my legs wide enough to get my feet on the damn things. Sort of like I have to make a choice to either have a straighter leg with some sore muscles later or bent leg with an uncomfortable unability to move my legs much (other than to have my arch on the stock pegs or to move my feet back so that just the toes on them.) I'm seriously looking at spending the extra $45 for the 4 inch arms rather than continuing to use the 6 inch just to get a little less bend at the knee.

Has anyone else experienced this same quandry?

Chopin and I swapped his boards for my pegs as an experiment this week, but so far I'm still having that same "my feet are nearly in gyno stirrups" feeling! (Ask yer wife/GF - she'll understand completely, I'm sure!)

Rapier

1 - 20 of 53 Posts