Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
121 - 140 of 166 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Fossil, you are the man.. The MacGyver of motorcycling. Great job and good thinking. Ride safe my friend..

·
Registered
252 Posts
Trip

Wow! Anything I put on my trip report seems lame after seeing these postings! That's pretty awesome and some great pictures, too. We just had a little rain on the way to Baltimore....:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
23,808 Posts
You could find a tennis ball at one of the " Resorts " you stay at and impale it on the end of the wrench. It might provide a bit more padding and increase the surface contact area. As always, just one 'ol chopin's humble opinion. Love the e-mail's. When she's happy, I'm happy.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Good ole yankee inginuity at its best (no offense to you southern boys);)

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Yesterday started with an absolutely georgeous ride through Bighorn National Forest. The roads were smooth & somewhat twisty & this Pa boy was smitten by the flashing light systems that they have in place not only on this little road but on I-90 as well. If they have rock slides or I imagine Snow drifts Gates come down lights are flashing & the sign says "Road closed return to Greybull".:eek: That was back 10 miles. Neat stuff. We rode across I-90 to cover some ground, wanted to get to Deadwood so we could do the tourist thing. Walked around feelin all gunslingery except I forgot my Nifty Sombero (Maestro). Had a great Bison steak & the little lady enjoyed some Black Hills shopping. A fine day was had by the Fossil couple.

Attachments

·
Registered
214 Posts
Lucky you have your crescent wrench with you to take down those gates and adventure across the tundra.....:D

Safe Ride...

·
Super Moderator
14,573 Posts
Great job with the invention and pictures. My wife is very impressed.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Glad to see in your picture you were sitting with your back to the wall, that was Wild Bill's demise (he was'nt):eek:

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Well I now know the answer to the question: " What is the dead man's hand holding ? " .
Beware of that odd 5 Maestro.

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Today we went through the Black Hills of SD. That means Mt. Rushmore, Crazy Horse Mountain & on the suggestion of Matt & Charlie, Custer State Park. We also went through the Badlands but we did that with a very significant amount of rain so it really wasn't fun. Fortunately we are staying in Wall SD 8 miles from the entrance so tomorrow we are going to go back through. There is a list of travel observations that the we have started to put together that we are going to share at the end of the trip but the one that we commented on again today is that in Pa. & most of the eastern states when the highways get worked on they usually only close 1 lane at a time or build temp roads around the work area. Here in the West (Id, Mt, Wy, & SD the ones we've been in) they tear up the whole road & you travel in dirt/mud. Makes for some intersting travel.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
15,124 Posts
nice writeup with pic's fossil. as for tearing up the whole road to do construction i ran into that in strathroy, on. just as you got into town. i was driving an 18 wheeler at the time. i called dispatch on my bag-phone to get directions and they said " go into town and make a left a such and such ( don't remember the name of the street now ) street " and i told them " even the street signs are missing " so where do you want me to make this left turn

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
" go into town and make a left a such and such ( don't remember the name of the street now ) street " and i told them " even the street signs are missing " so where do you want me to make this left turn
I know what you mean detdrbuzzard, I've been told things like "You go out of town out here about 8 miles & you look for a right hand cutoff a little bit past that is Larry's point & you make a left at the 2nd road after that. Don't make the 1st that goes to Ginther's Ranch." It is interesting but somehow it all makes sense.

Nice road! Man, I get a little tense with a little gravel. Don't know how I would do on that.
I try to keep the bike as straight as possible, don't worry about the cars behind that want to go faster & look for soft spots to stay out of. This particular one wasn't terrible because it was mostly straight. We hit a series of 4 going into Greybull Wy. that were pretty rough & that was at night (a little harrowing) & the worse one was in Montana where it was ripped up down a twisty mountain. There they had a redlight on each end to let one lane at a time go. That was when I said to the little lady "The next one of these we have to go through can you take some pictures & I need to share this?"

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #136
In last nights post I forgot to mention that We have met some of the nicest people on this trip. I know that when you get to touristy areas that their livelyhood depends on it. However both the little lady & I have said that the Midwest both North & South have the most friendliest people we have ever encountered. She even made the comment "It makes you wonder what the heck is wrong with the 2 coasts?"

The latest case in point is our last nights accomadations. Cruising the net in Deadwood Sat. evening for a place to stay Sun. I find the "Frontier Cabins" (see picture). As the Maestro says I've been staying in resorts HAHA anyway I show them to the little lady & make a reservation. I said before how we drove through the Badlands in a heavy rain. We pull in get checked in, The facility is a series of aprox. 50 small individual cabins of different sizes. They have a General Store, laundry, playground area & even an outdoor Hottub. No I wasn't in it.
So I get the bike covered, Mama's not the happiest because of the messy situation & I walk down to the Store. They have some frozen Chimichaungas & BBQ rib sandwiches. I walk up to the counter & the Owner "Lonnie" says "you must be hungry?" At which point I tell him "When you're on a bike & it's raining sometimes you just have to eat what you can get, What am I going to do?". Now I want you to remember I'm buying this stuff from him. He says to me "Here's what you're going to do. You're going to put this stuff back, Go get your sweetheart, come back here & I'll give you my Jeep to go into town. There are some good places & get a decent meal." Of course I think he's joking but soon find out he's dead serious. You should have seen the look on the little ladies face when I told her. When I brought the Jeep back after the trip into Wall & told him I fueled it for him. He quips "Now you didn't have to go & do that, but if I known you were going to I would have siphoned the tank out before you left." As he laughs.

Sorry that this got long winded but we were blown away by the place. Yes this is a plug for this lodging. If you need a place to stay in or near Wall SD go to the "Fontier Cabins." www.frontiercabins.net
Lonnie & his staff of very nice young people are the best. It is located just outside of the town about 8 miles from the Badlands entrance.

The 3 C's - Cozy, clean & Charming.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,854 Posts
Bill,

Crazy Horse Mt looks the same as it did in 1989 when the family and I were there. Locals say they are more interested in charging to see the thing than they are in finishing it. Glad you are having a good time. Some of your other photos remind me of our trip back then. You have to love Mt Rushmore, what a great site. Ride safe..

·
Premium Member
23,808 Posts
Your poignant story is a great reminder that the Heart of America still beats from others. "Though we travel the world over to find the beautiful, we must carry it with us or we find it not.” ~ Emerson. Quid-pro-quo to you , " Wild " Bill. You get what you give.

·
Super Moderator
28,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
Last evening while the rain was falling the little lady put on the weather channel & saw that this am was supposed to be nice. She made the suggestion that we get moving early & since we stayed so close, go back through the Badlands again. Before we left I took time to enjoy Coffee & a "Wall Drug doughnut". The weather was great. She got to see prarie dogs & coyotes. The scenery is mysterious yet beautiful. Left there saddled up & hit I-90, we had a lot of ground to cover. Stopped in Mitchell SD for lunch & a stop by the Corn Palace. Several times out of S.D. we past bikes being trailered or in the back of pickups. They all had one thing in common. I'll let you guys try to figure it out.

Made it to Fairmont Mn. & tomorrow it's the "Windy". Unfortunatley we couldn't hook up with Matt. There will be another time.

Attachments

·
Registered
428 Posts
Just makes want to get our little trip to WASHINGTON D.C. happen sooner. Wife and I leave August 5th for 2-weeks of "riden & looken."
There's alot to see in this country of ours.

121 - 140 of 166 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.