Honda Goldwing Forum banner

81 - 100 of 166 Posts

·
Super Moderator
28,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #82
Well guys, the little lady & I hit the Streets of San Francisco (pun intended). 1st stop Fisherman's Wharf, Boudin Bakery, Alcatraz & then cruise around the City & of course had to drive down Lombard St. The little lady got a couple nice shots going down.

Tomorrow we head to Oregon up the Coast & through Redwood Nat. Park.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
THE Trip

Enjoy all the anticipation although I will say if you are this excited 32 days out, you will not need gasoline on the day of departure :).

·
Registered
387 Posts
At 8pm in San Fran, it's 57 degrees. What a difference a day on a Goldwing makes... eh Bill? I went for a meager two hour ride this morning and had to beeline for the pool when I got home to cool off! The good new is it's already down to 98 degrees with a wind-singe factor of about 103. :D One more dip tonight before bedtime should really hit the spot.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow's report. :)

·
Super Moderator
9,843 Posts
Bill, you have hit one of my most favorite spots in the USA. Make sure you go to Ghirardelli's for a chocolate sunday. They are the best. Glad your back on the road.

North of SF is Point Reyes light house. If you go there you can see the movement of the earth from an earthquake. Ground shifted a couple of feet. Ride safe my friend..

·
Registered
387 Posts
Bill, you have hit one of my most favorite spots in the USA. Make sure you go to Ghirardelli's for a chocolate sunday. They are the best. Glad your back on the road.

Chocolate, donuts, pasta, etc. By the time Bill get's back he going to need a GL1800.
Hopefully they're just replacing what they burned up on that two mile hike through Death Valley in the dead of summer, albiet a few surplus calories to justify a GL1800 would be calories well spent. :D

·
Registered
387 Posts
Hey Bill,

Just saw a reply from you to Buzzy's trailer thread and was wondering if you'd mind sharing a pic of your Wing with your cross country "luggage"? If I ever go on a long trip, I too would rather not drag a trailer. If you folks can ride coast-to-coast-to-coast with only what you can carry on the bike, then you must have a system that works pretty darn well.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Thanks Bill, that explains a lot! That's a much better idea than a trailer (IMHO). Another thing I wondered about was how you could stand to ride day after day across America and function at the end of the day, but after looking at your seat, I need not even ask.

:)

·
Premium Member
23,786 Posts
Another thing I wondered about was how you could stand to ride day after day across America and function at the end of the day, but after looking at your seat, I need not even ask.

:)
I agree! I've sat on that seat. My computer chair doesn't even come close in comfort. I wouldn't say he is " roughing it ".

·
Super Moderator
28,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #93 (Edited)
Okay now that I have a couple of coffees in me I'll fill you in on yeserdays travels.

Left San Fran. went across the Mighty Golden Gate. Up 101 to 128 across to 1 outside Mendocino. Beautiful vineyards, rolling hills & some twisties on 128. Up the coast to Redwood National Park. In & out of the trees had us bundled & then uncovered & then bundled again. Man that wind coming off the Pacific sure is Gnarwly. Landed in Grants Pass for the evening. Today we just need to Cover ground so it's straight up I-5 to Seattle. I know we're going to be missing some cool things in Oregon but we do have to stick to a schedule.

Glenn it's a Hartco.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
14,556 Posts
Wow, great pictures! I'm using your trip to entice my better half into a long trip with me. Glad everything is going well.

·
Super Moderator
28,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Wow, great pictures! I'm using your trip to entice my better half into a long trip with me. Glad everything is going well.
Thanks Mark. We are having an awesome time.

We arrived in Seattle last night grabbed the hotel & found a little Brick Oven Pizza place open for Dinner. Watched the fireworks & went nighty nite. Today we are headed down to the docks & further downtown for the touristy things to do. I'll be sure to post some pictures either tonight or tomorrow am.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Fossil...your pics look great...sounds like you are having a great time....I have been showing my wife your pics to convince her to go to NC in the fall....I just had a chance (alone...could not convince her to come) to ride from Milwaukee Wi -> Des Moine IA (wing ding) -> Omaha NE -> Soiux City SD -> Fargo ND -> Rhilander WI -> back to Milwaukee this past weekend (Friday - Sunday)...put 2100 miles on the new bike....I have one question...It appears you are making great strides in your trip...are you going point to point and then doing sight seeing mostly at your final destination point or are you stopping along the way (other than gas fill ups)...if stopping how are you making so many miles per day...I made one stop in SD and spent an hour talking with the locals...at that pace it would take me three years to make the trip you are doing..just curious...? Glad to see you and the misses are having fun... :)

·
Registered
252 Posts
Trip

Fossil- The pictures are great. Look for a house in Seattle for the wife and I. We are thinking about retiring there. We are green with envy...

·
Super Moderator
28,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Okay before I post todays events let me answer a few questions.

I have one question...It appears you are making great strides in your trip...are you going point to point and then doing sight seeing mostly at your final destination point or are you stopping along the way (other than gas fill ups)...if stopping how are you making so many miles per day...I made one stop in SD and spent an hour talking with the locals...at that pace it would take me three years to make the trip you are doing..just curious...? Glad to see you and the misses are having fun...
Mark, I believe the little lady has part Cruise Director in her. I laid out the basic trip for almost a year. When we had 3 weeks to go she said "I would like to see the trip if I may." At that point input from the other side began to happen & we worked together with the plans & some basic principles.

#1. Arrive at a destination in the evening (even if very late). Wake up the next morning where you want to site see & get to it. Less crowded in the morning hours.

#2. Try to stop when you only need fuel or to hydrate. Of course you do have to stop to take the pictures when the oppurtunity is there, but limit those stops to 15 minutes at most.

#3. We stay at the hotels that have breakfast as much as possible that way you can eat before you saddle up. When you stay at budget hotels & you have to get on the bike & shortly thereafter stop for breakfast it kills time. Remember everytime you get off the bike, take off the gear, etc. etc. you are burning daylight.

#4. I'm an early riser so I get up & get the bike uncovered, ck oil, tires, warm it up.

#5. I try to fuel the bike at night before we get settled. See #3

Now I certainly am not rude to local people & we do talk to some but sometimes we have to stay to ourselves to get things done. I don't claim to be the most worthy traveler but these simple things have worked for us.

I would love to have about 3 -4 months to do this same trip I know we could have seen & done more but you have to pick & choose. Plus you never know when a problem will happen & you'll have to miss Bryce Canyon.:(

·
Super Moderator
28,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Fossil- The pictures are great. Look for a house in Seattle for the wife and I. We are thinking about retiring there. We are green with envy...

Badger, Seattle is nice but I don't know if I could live where people have the tendancy to say "Well at least it didn't rain all day";)

Anyway as long as you're asking I will too. If anyone has places in the Santa Fe N.M. area let me know that's where we're thinking about.

81 - 100 of 166 Posts