Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, it's less then 24 hours and Bev and I begin the ride. It's been just like waiting on Christmas to get here back when you were a kid. We have alot of things we plan to see going up and coming back on this one. Total ride time is around 36 hours with no day exceeding 6 hours. Stops planed are the Kentucky Horse Park, Tri-State Greyhound park, 3 days in D.C., Bristol Caverns and Bristol Speedway, Biltmore Estate, The Dragoon and T.W.O., and the Shiloh Military Park. We will try to keep the site informed while we do our mandatory check in with the "kids" each night to let them know where we are. Talk about role reversal.:eek:
Wish us luck as we're gone, outta here, asta la viesta, so long, ketcha later, and all the other phrases you can come up with.:D:D:D

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
We are ready. Which of those days will you be in the D.C. area ?
We will actually be staying in Fredrick, Maryland and should arrive on Sunday the 8th and plan to ride the comuter train (Marc's Train) back and forth to D.C. on the 9th thru the 11th.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Might as well do Gettysburg and Harper's Ferry if your staying in Frederick. Your already almost there. I should be blowing through Frederick this Saturday or Sunday on my way to Mt Holly Springs PA, about 40 miles north of Gettysburg. Yea, yea, the MARC Train. I see it. If you get into Fredrick before 2:00 p.m. give me a shout. I'm only about 40 miles from there.

·
Super Moderator
9,856 Posts
Enjoy your trip. Sounds like a lot of fun and great places to visit. Make sure you take pics for us.. Ride safe and enjoy yourself..

·
Super Moderator
14,420 Posts
Look forward to reading all about it. I’m jealous. Life (and work) is keeping me from any long trips right now. Have fun!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I'm off work and the bikes loaded, fueled and ready to go. As soon as My better half gets off work....It's Show Time!

·
Premium Member
11,008 Posts
I will follow your trip on my USA road atlas.I take it that 6 hours would be about 300 miles.I have never been to that area because tht is roughly what I would cover here in South Australia but if you have hill or traffic that would change.Eric

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
nice ride Marc

Hi Marc, Did you mean Shiloh Military Park? It seems a ways out of your way. But no mind, it is one of my favorite places on this earth and one of my favorite CW battlefields. Ive been there a few times, be sure to see the little movie at the visitors center before you tour the park, it will be a big help. There is a superb collection of CW cannon there as well. ENJOY !

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well we started the day in Paducka ky. That's where bev's family is from. Right Now we are about 80 miles out of Lexington. Been lucky so far the temp has not been that much of a factor. Of course, the Wing has been flawless again. Tomorrow we are going over to the Kentucky Horse Park. Kinda a must see for horse people.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi Marc, Did you mean Shiloh Military Park? !
It is just something I've always wanted to see. Hard to believe that there were 25,000 killed in the 2 day battle. Those are numbers that modern warfare would have to go biological or nucelar to match. Just want to see for myself. I love history.

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
It is just something I've always wanted to see. Hard to believe that there were 25,000 killed in the 2 day battle. Those are numbers that modern warfare would have to go biological or nucelar to match. Just want to see for myself. I love history.
Here is a fun fact about Shiloh Military Park: " The National Military Park was established on December 27, 1894. This was due to the request of local farmers, who were tired of their pigs rooting up the remains of soldiers that fell during the battle, and requested that the federal government do something about it. It was transferred from the War Department to the National Park Service on August 10, 1933. As with all historic areas administered by the National Park Service, the military park was listed on the National Register of Historic Places on October 15, 1966."

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well we finally made Fredrick about 4:00 pm Sunday afternoon. Last 20 miles was a bumper to bumper traffic jam that took an hour. Come on folks save those traffic jams for the work week. Spent the day today in d.c. Arlington is something to behold. There is so much Honor in one place.............even foriegners were awe struck. well time for dinner.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your world's pretty cool. Except for the 450,000 "drivers" out there that couldn't get a license in most states.:D
Checked out more monuments today. W.W.II was impressive to say the least. We did that one right albiet 50 years late.
Well time to find something to eat..... see ya'll!

·
Premium Member
23,774 Posts
Your world's pretty cool. Except for the 450,000 "drivers" out there that couldn't get a license in most states.:D
Checked out more monuments today. W.W.II was impressive to say the least. We did that one right albiet 50 years late.
Well time to find something to eat..... see ya'll!
Here in Virginia we call them " Maryland Drivers ". They inhabit a small state but they drive like they own the world. P.S. If you and Bev are heading down south 95 on your way home from Washington, give me a ring and I'll join you for a stop at the Marine Corps Museum in Quantico. One day notice is all I need. 703-929-0196 ( C ).

·
Registered
217 Posts
Hey Marc...it sounds like your trip is going great and your having fun...send those pics....remember...we all gave up our cable TV for your reality show....:D

Sounds like you will be near the Blue Ridge parkway...are you doing that route...?...if so let me know if you lodge anywhere along the way...planning a trip out that way possibly in September if the business allows me too.

Safe Ride....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts