Honda Goldwing Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finally achieved what I formerly thought was impossible and have saved up enough to buy a new (and my first) Goldwing. My question is, should I wait for the 2011 version or go for the 2010? I have found some new 2010s for what appear to be very reasonable prices ($18,500- basic model). I fear the 2011 will again be out of my price range when it comes out. I like that all the kinks have been ironed out of the current version but the thought of new technological advances is interesting as well. Not sure if I need to be more patient for the new one or start enjoying the 2010. Thanks in advance for your advice.

·
Administrator
26,266 Posts
Nobody has a crystal ball I'm afraid, but I have an inkling that the 2011 models will show a price increase. I'm basing this on the fact that the 2011 models will be built in the new plant in Japan. That combined with the strength of the yen vs the dollar and I wouldn't doubt that prices will rise inspite of the current economic woes around the world. I know we'd all like to see prices go down, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
You don't say where you are from, but if your up north like me you won't get much riding in until April. I don't know when the 2011 Wings will be announced, but I think it will probably be late spring or early summer. That said, there was a $900 increase from 2009 to 2010 model years on what are identical bikes. So I would expect an increase in the 2011 models. Also, when the 2011 comes out I think you will begin to see deals on 2009-2010 models sitting in dealer showrooms. Or you may even find some good low mileage 09-10 bikes that people are selling to get the new model.

I would wait until late spring/early summer to see what Honda does. I think it gives you more options. JMHO... Ride safe and good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good advice

Thanks, I guess that I can wait a while and see what turns up. I had not considered the possible resale prices going down on older or used versions when the new ones come out. Now, patience.....:(

·
Registered
1 Posts
Wait

C.Dexter.

Here are my thoughts. Being in the same position as you.
2011 will certainly have some nice upgrades. Not to mention additional horsepower. If a new model is actually released this year my hope is that a new Wing will have some sporty like touring lines to it. The current one is a little old man looking. I would like to see a higher center of gravity to allow for better cornering. A reverse gear and auto adjust windshield is needed. Maybe even a electic stand to name a few. Now having said yes to all this "fluff". A current 1800 owner would use the same arguement as the 1500 owner did as to why not to buy. However, for the extra engine, horsepower and technology, it would be wise to wait.. That is what I'm going to do. I'm guessing though it will be more than just a few hundred more.. The downside of course with buying a 2011 is the "unknown factor". Meaning, almost all new Wings are called in for something. It takes a year or two to work the bugs out. That is my delimma. There are actually brand new 08 and 09 Wings on dealer floors gathering dust. You could find one for about cost,, seriously. My suggestion, wait.. Unless those savings are burning a hole in your pocket,, then buy a new 1800 and get it for the very very best price possible.. Go with the custom II model with Nav. Airbag will not add much resale value since the 2011 are now scheduled for release. Wishing you the best, and safe riding.
;)

·
Registered
37 Posts
This is probrably the best post I've read on this subject thus far. On June 4th 2009 I totaled my beautiful baby (2006 model with nav). Been sick ever since. Since then I've pretty much set my mind waiting for the 2011 because Im sort of a techie guy. I bought all sorts of accessories for my bike which included: Bluetooth headset, back rest, etc..
The most noticable mod I applied to the bike was I had the trunk lid modified to hold
larger 6.5 inch component speakers. Along with the speakers I added a amplifiers. I also replace all of the factory speaker with better performance component speakers.
The lid mod was basically modified with fiberglass molding. The lid a lot heavier but
everything looked great and sounded awesome. Better surround sound. So everything was good to go.

So I have high hopes for this next model. Im hoping they really improve a lot of the features from the previous model. Ex: Hand grips and seat should get hotter. Speakers
of course should have better performance. Built in bluetooth. And a true Mp3 player sync. Would like that powered stand too. :) Us short guys stuggle getting that hog
on the stand. :)
Thanks for you opinions. I feel more confident that Im doing the right thing.
Now if only they hurry up!!!

·
Registered
402 Posts
Personally, I'd go for the 2010. It was assembled in the USA and they've had several years to get all the kinks worked out. With a possible new model and new assembly plant, you may get all kinds of new design/assembly bugs. I'd never buy the first year of any new model vehicle just for that reason (IMHO).

·
Registered
37 Posts
make perfect sense Radardad.

Only problem is the feeling I would get getting a 2010 and one day seeing the new 2011. I know its pretty risky. I also know getting the 2010 is a sure thing knowing what you get. It just was hard to justify paying that new price all over again and getting typically the same bike I purchased in 2006. Not sure if I'll be the first in line to purchase the 2011,but I definitely will be in the line that will be observing if its worth buying. And I can imagine that it's going to be a long line Im in.

Thanks for the advice. Now Im proceeding with caution.

·
Registered
165 Posts
You could always do both..... Buy a new wing now (at a knock down price) and then trade it in in a year for the newer model
... you'd have an extra year to save for the additional cost, but most of all, you wouldn't miss out on a whole year of Wing riding!

:D

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'd buy a 2010 and send a letter to Honda telling them that I prefer the 2010 because it was American made, by American workers. If more people do that Honda may decide to put their flagship bike being built in it's biggest market. I think about all the workers who lost their jobs (from even related parts subed out) and it would make me walk away from the 2011. Somewhere we as Americans need to take a stand. I'll get off my soapbox now, lol

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I would wait, if there is a change in the 2011 you might want to get one of those and the dealers should be cutting the prices of left over 09 and 10 real deep just in case you don't like the new wing. Then if there are a lot of changes there will be several used 09 and 10 for sale because the owners are wanting to move up to the 2011.
http://www.ml122595.com/media/curvid.php?DealerNumber=105845&Pwd=nice&Page=curre nt

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would look for a reasonably priced 06. You could ride it for a year or so and then sell or trade it on the 2011 if you like the changes. When you trade it in you save 7% on taxes(in Fl). I bought a new 06 because everyone thought their used 01 was worth what they paid for it!. The prices are beginning to get a little more realistic on the used 1800s. If you look you can find a new 07-09 at a reasonable price.

·
Banned
33 Posts
I'm not one to wait too long. Either the kids. wife or act of God always end up spending money that I've earmarked for something else. Can always upgrade in a year or two.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Personally, I'd go for the 2010, and not just because I just bought one. This is the last of the American made wings, which I think makes it a little special, and as someone put it, they have had several years to get all the kinks knocked out. Remember when the first of the 1800's came out with that famous frame issue? Even with a rep like Honda's, I find it hard to believe that a new wing would come out, or a same wing made by new people, and not have a SINGLE issue. Look at what Toyota is going through right now. I would go with what we know works now. Good luck with your choice!

·
Registered
449 Posts
Lots of solid opinions and good ones to boot.....

The question is do you want to ride now or wait......

Only you know your patience level.

·
Registered
2,835 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks for the suggestion Cadillac and I always appreciate all the suggestions everyone has shared with me. I will definitely consider this. I guess it all depends on when the 2011 is released. I rather not even hassle with getting a used wing if I can prevent that. But if the summer starts to dwindle away, I may be force to make that decisions. I have a lot of customizations I spent on my previous 06. These customization won't apply to value when it comes to resale. So I rather buy new than used and waste money getting the old wing up to my standards, I'm leaning towards waiting as long as I can. I'm hoping this next wing will be the technology showcase it has been speculated to be. Things like integrated MP3 player, built in Bluetooth, better audio performance experience, electronic windsheld, and nicer navi system would be just the items to make me want the newer 2011 wing hands down. Also I would like these amenities as well. Power kick stand, better heat grips and seat, better electronic suspense adjuster, and electronic seat height adjuster. Oh and ultimately the horse power is a hands down need.
One could easily criticize my goldwing desires. I know my desire tend to be a bit more on the fluffy side of owning a wing. However just know this. I use to own a 2005 Cadillac escalade at the same time I owned my 06 Wing. And I gave back my escalade because even with all the bells and whistles on my Escalade, nothing compared to riding my Wing. I now drive a clunker because I know that my pleasures wont come from having a nice car. But my Wing on the other hand, has to have it all!!!. I mean if they could attach a Jet engine to it to enable flight, I would be the first in line. :)

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
2010 or 2011

I just got my 2010 about 2 months ago. Not so much difference with my 2003 except ABS, NAV and XM radio. But.... Yellow. I do not know for sure but they told me that the 2011 will have a 6 speed and an Automatic Transmission (option) other then that.... nothing.
If you can find a new GW for under 19K..... I would say GO FOR IT!

Good luck!
Fred

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
I just got my 2010 about 2 months ago. Not so much difference with my 2003 except ABS, NAV and XM radio. But.... Yellow. I do not know for sure but they told me that the 2011 will have a 6 speed and an Automatic Transmission (option) other then that.... nothing.
If you can find a new GW for under 19K..... I would say GO FOR IT!

Good luck!
Fred
I hope they don't come out with a six speed. I will be very envious. Damn Honda for not putting in the cruise gear years ago.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I hope they don't come out with a six speed. I will be very envious. Damn Honda for not putting in the cruise gear years ago.
I thought the same thing! but; if that's all.... we're still ok! The other guys will have to switch gears more then we do! actually..... I'm good with this one.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.