Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Members:
I am in the market for a NEW Wing. I'm wondering what "ya'll" think about the navagation feature. It adds about 2 grand to the price, at least that's what I'm hearing. I've been riding for a long time and frankly, I don't need a screen to show me where I'm going. I'm on a ride. IF I make a wrong turn, oh well, let's see where this road goes.

So, educate me. Do I really need this feature? When it breaks, and it will, has anyone had to replace this feature and how much did it cost? In your opinion, was the added cost worth it? I just want some feed back from people that have experienced this. I know, when microwave ovens first came out, I THOUGH a pot on a stove worked just fine. My, how times have changed.

Please advise.....

Thank you.
Ted aka, the Locknut :)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
ABSOLUTELY A WASTE OF MONEY:mad: as far as using it for a GPS! Very limited and I mean limited features! Takes way way to long to input a route that you want to use. To input your own route, you must input your final distination, then add many via points or the system will sent you many places you have no intentions of going! Will not save a route!
You are way better off to save a lot of money and buy a good GPS and mount it on your Wing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I've also heard the maps are outdated even on a new Wing. Eventually you won't be able to update maps as Garmin drops support on a '10 like they have on some older models then you are stuck with an outdated built-in GPS.
You can buy a killer GPS + mount and a bunch of dress up safety chrome bits with 2K!
Rob

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
To keep this as complete info for the OP as possible, while he makes a decision.
Garmin has decided they will support the Nav systems on all model Wings.
My understanding is an updated card is to be made available every August for now.
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=10750&ra=true#versionTab
However, what is available on the web sight now is not what I would consider an update for the older Nav systems. Maybe that will change in August.
Also since all of the GoldWing production was halted sometime ago, even a brand new 2010 Wing's Nav system will be outdated!
Also, for the amount Garmin seems to want to charge-you can buy a pretty nice add-on GPS!

·
Super Moderator
9,855 Posts
I didn't want to pay the extra $2k either, so I bought the base model and have a Garmin Nuvi mounted with a Ram mount. Total cost about $200. And if the the Nav goes bad I just buy another one. Your choice, your $$$. Ride safe..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, to change gears here a bit, a 2010 Wing is really a 2009??? They want more money for a '10 but if it was built in '09, then isn't that somewhat fradulent? I'd like more info on this. Perhaps I should open a different post. I'm all eyes right now. I still have all my MONEY.
Ted aka Locknut

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
So, to change gears here a bit, a 2010 Wing is really a 2009??? They want more money for a '10 but if it was built in '09, then isn't that somewhat fradulent? I'd like more info on this. Perhaps I should open a different post. I'm all eyes right now. I still have all my MONEY.
Ted aka Locknut
No, a 2010 is really a 2010. It doesn't matter what the build date of any vehicle is. What marks it is the VIN and what model year the manufacturer says it is. For years and years when there is little or no change in vehicles, the last, for instance 09, is moving along the asm line. Then there may or may not be a few empty stations and here comes the first 2010.
While one would love to see no price increase since there is little or no change, rising costs for the manufacturer means rising costs for the consumer.
Now, this brings up a very good point.
Since there is hardly any difference, do you want to save a few bucks and find a new 09, or go w/a 2010? That's your call. Even though you do save a little w/the 09, it's now an almost 2yr old bike as soon as you buy it. Also, that new 2010 is now almost a year old as soon as you buy it.

·
Premium Member
161 Posts
STAY AWAY from the on board navigation system. It is a P.O.S. This system is the biggest waste of money Honda has ever come up with. If they had given Garmin a green light to build a proper system for the bike it would have been great. It seems that Mother Honda limited what Garmin has been doing for years in building navi systems. Skip the on board nav and get a good after market unit. Take the rest of that 2 grand and take a nice long ride with a navigation system that works.

·
Premium Member
23,776 Posts
Too late for me on the built in Navi, but it was not a choice. I can't say I was ever " lost " because of it, but I have been bewildered from time to time using it. Frankly, I don't get along with that faceless voice. Her timing is off and she is slow to change to my route. Very stubborn she is.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Too late for me on the built in Navi, but it was not a choice. I can't say I was ever " lost " because of it, but I have been bewildered from time to time using it. Frankly, I don't get along with that faceless voice. Her timing is off and she is slow to change to my route. Very stubborn she is.
You know, sometimes I get lonely out on the road. I will often drive around in circle purposly missing my turns so I can hear her talk to me!
"in 400ft, turn right.........Recalculating............in 1.4 miles, turn left then turn right................recalculating..............in 700' turn left............in 200' turn left..............recalculating..............":D:D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts