Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:(

I've posted about this topic before as have others. This 2010 Wing hunts @ idle. RPM goes up and down a couple times when I disengage clutch when coming to a stop or turn then settles to a "normal" idle RPM.

Well it happened yesterday afternoon for the 1st time. Cruising down the road, bike is running fine, put signal on to make a left turn onto a side street, slow down as I approach turn, disengage clutch to down shift a couple gears, RPMs drop, idle bounces up and down a couple times and dash lights come on - engine died! 1st time it has ever stalled. Hit starter as I am turning, fires right up and off I go. Did not stall again during the rest of the 60 mile ride. Luckily there was no one behind me.

Engine was up to temp, tank was 3/4 full of good gas and it was not me that stalled the bike. I've been riding for almost 25 years.

I had a bad feeling this hunting at idle was going to get worse.

2010 Wing, 2200 miles, ECM has been reset twice (no change), no other problems with this bike at all.

Calling the dealer today. Not that I expect they will have an answer but I want this on my record (if they keep track of these things). If it gets worse, stalls more often etc. I don't know what I will do. Based on the posts in this forum it seems Honda has no fix for this?

Rob

·
Premium Member
23,765 Posts
Whoa. That episode would keep one on guard . The steering wobble pales by comparison to an in-flight engine stall.

·
Super Moderator
9,877 Posts
Now that's not good.... I would let the dealer know exactly what happened and how it happened. Perhaps it could help in diagnosing the problem. Hope it does not happen again, but if it does keep going to the dealer with the information. It's got a warranty and Honda should fix the problem. Good luck.. Keep us informed..

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Check and see if your state has a motorcycle lemon law, most do. If it's in the shop 3 times for the same problem you get a new bike, or if they have it over 30 days you get a new bike, at least thats the way it is in Calif.

·
Registered
168 Posts
mine quit... almost

I have a 2010 1800. It did that surging thing a lot when it was new. It never died on me though. I have 7200 miles on it now and it is almost non-existant. It seems to sound like it surges slightly, but the you can't even see the tack needle move. And then it only does it one or two times and settles into a steady idle. I heard it takes 4k miles or so for this to settle out. Mine took more like 5000 miles. I find several things about the wing that bother me too. I wish the Flagship of the Honda line didn't have so many quirks and short on options. It sure is nice on the open road though...:rolleyes:.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
UPDATE:
Spoke with my dealer - 1st time since I bought the bike. The owner was very concerned and said the stalling is a definite safety issue. Said he is now riding a 2010 Wing and his idles fine with 1700 miles and never hunted. He told me he does not think more miles will cure the issue - sounds like a problem with the ECM. He also said he has not had this complaint before but he is going to make some calls to Honda and get this taken care of. So far, so good.

He asked if I had any wobble accelerating or decelerating. I told him no. He told me they recently worked on a new Wing for a customer, that they could not get it to stop wobbling. Honda sent 3 different sets of tires. All shook. Installed tapered bearings in head - still shook. Honda sent a set of new Bridgestones and he said the wobbling is totally gone on this bike. Says they were about to refund the guy's money for the bike. Anyway, guy has over 1200 miles on these new tires without any complaints. My dealer said to keep this in mind. I will get the tire model/sizes when they call me back about the idle hunting issue.

Rob

·
Administrator
26,224 Posts
RKP we wait anxiously about your followup post. I can't get any answer on the surging issue from Honda Canada. I know of riders that have the problem, as well as the head shake, and they're really getting worried. My own bike is fine, and none of the GL's I have sold exhibit either symptom (touch wood there). Who's your dealer down there? I'd be interested in talking with him and hear what Honda tells him. Love your snowmobile trail system down ther btw. Was lucky enough to do a Polaris Dealer test ride from Rome about a year and a half ago;you guys get SNOW!

·
Administrator
26,224 Posts
I did manage to speak with a tech at Honda Canada today about both the surging and the steering wobble. He is aware of the issues, but isn't able to say much about a fix. Honda's position is that the wobble isn't a safety issue as much as letting go of the bars is, and the tech told me that the wobble is a bit of a trait of the bike...it's just there. The tapered bearings Joe mentioned likely help as much as anything (but naturally Honda does NOT recommend aftermarket parts), and tyre pressures and balance are critical. As for the surging, he says the only way to do anything is to take it to a dealership, have them hook it up to the diagnostic system and hope it finds the issue. He thinks it is ECM and air control rlated, but has never had one act up when checking for it (argh). I guess we can wait and see if Honda USA says the same thing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Budoka,
I have not heard back from my dealer yet on the surging issue. Luckily it has not stalled since I called him Wednesday and I do not have the wobble issue (knock wood). I do love this bike!

My dealer is:
Sovie's Cycle Shop
590 Ames Road
Potsdam, NY 13676
(315) 265 - 4297

Not far from the Canadian border. About 2 hrs from where I live. They sell Hondas, Harleys, boats, sleds etc.

If you call them, ask for John Sovie Sr. (he's the owner). Real nice guy and he does care about his customers. You can mention I bought a 2010 Black Wing from him back in April and recently called about the idle hunting issue. This shop is super, family run, nice people. They are open on Saturdays.

John will be able to tell you all about the Wing that had the wobble, what they tried and the tires they put on it that cured the shakes. Make sure you get John Sr. and not Jr.

I have a feeling I will have to live with this surging issue. He should remember my call. Maybe if a bunch of calls are made to Honda, this surging issue and wobble will get some traction? I've worked on cars/trucks and bikes and problems like this surging never seem to arrise when the vehicle is taken to a shop.

As to the snowmobile trails in this area: THEY ROCK!! Won't be long before the white stuff is here and the Wing sits in my garage for what seems like forever til spring of 2011.

Rob Phillips

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wobble getting worse

:(I now have 7100 miles on my 2010 GL1800.. The wobble is getting worse. I had the same thing on my last two bikes, FJR1300 Yamahas, and both times it was tires. They still look great, but OEM's will not be used by this kid. Lookin to try something else. I first noticed the shake when I would be off the throttle and slowing below 45 MPH. Now it shakes even when on Cruise at 55MPH and I take my hands off the handlebars. Can't wait until the tires are worn enough to replace them.. I might replace them anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts