Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I don't know if there are any others that are doing the Tour of Virginia, but here's what I've done so far (the points in red are the ones that I've been to). It is a pretty cool idea to get us to see parts of the state that we'd normally not think of going to. Note that I didn't care for the riding around in Richmond - too crowded and confusing, even with the Navi system. Stupid one way roads combined with a seriously challenging layout of the cross streets.

Anyways, here is my map:

Rapier

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Im jealous!

·
Super Moderator
9,852 Posts
Heading down to NC tomorrow, so does it count if I stay on 81? I see lots of numbers on that route...

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Well, you'd have to be signed up for it and have the passport booklet that they send you in the mail.

Be careful on 81, btw. The little bit that I rode the other day to get the most northern point was rife with hazards - trucks, speed, construction, etc.

Rapier

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Updated map as of 6/15:

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Mz. Vickie and I are invited to a crab party July 4th somewhere down in the Northern Neck area. I don't do crabs, but I do do rides.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Updated as of 6/22:

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
I see a lot of stops along 64 to Williamsburg. Maybe we should bee-line " down " to Williamsburg on 64 and grab the tokens along the way. A " return " trip up 17 looks more scenic, albiet destitute of tokens.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Some of the points are not open on Sundays, so I'll get out my passport booklet and check to see which ones we can bypass. I can always go down on a Saturday and get them later.

Edit: Well, I take what I said earlier back. Turns out that if we do the 64 corridor and then turn up across the Bridge-Tunnel to the DelMarVa peninsula I could get about 10 points done in one day! We'll have to see how things go vis-a-vis Mz. Vickie's plans and such...

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Well ? What do you think about the plan that you head East and I head South and we meet in Yorktown ? We will greatly miss the ride down the penisula with you and Loni, but on a Sunday we , and you, don't want to be heading home with the beach traffic. At least on this side of the bay there are alternate routes to find our way home on.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That works, Maestro. I cleared the plan with Loni, so we'll head out early Sunday morning and head out over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, then down to Chincoteague Island for a bite and the two Tour points there. Then it will be on down to the Bridge-Tunnel. There is a point at the bottom of the peninsula, so once there we'll call you to see where you want to meet in Yorktown.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
That works, Maestro. I cleared the plan with Loni, so we'll head out early Sunday morning and head out over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, then down to Chincoteague Island for a bite and the two Tour points there.
Hey Rapier that Maestro thing is really catchy isn't it?:D:D:D
I don't know what time you guys are getting to Chincotegue but when the little lady & I were there we ate at Bill's Rest. & it wasn't because of the name Lee but the food was excellent. Just one ole fossil's opinon.

Enjoy the ride & be safe.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Rapier that Maestro thing is really catchy isn't it?:D:D:D
I don't know what time you guys are getting to Chincotegue but when the little lady & I were there we ate at Bill's Rest. & it wasn't because of the name Lee but the food was excellent. Just one ole fossil's opinon.

Enjoy the ride & be safe.
Yeah, sure is, Bill! You get author recognition for that one.

Loni and I will look Bill's place up. Thanks for the recommendation!

Be safe on your long ride, Bill. You're making my planned trips look wimpy, but I'll do a long one next year (Four Corner Tour and can't wait!)

Rapier

·
Premium Member
23,772 Posts
Seems like every one has been somewhere except me. How would an HVAC fellow from PA know of a little restaurant in Chincoteque ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Seems like every one has been somewhere except me. How would an HVAC fellow from PA know of a little restaurant in Chincoteque ?
Don't let my common vocation deceive Maestro. I have a little lady that knows how to bring a touch of sophistication to an otherwise simple lifestyle.

Yeah that's right this ole fossil get's around.:D

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Just got back from a 515 mile day. We departed Woodbridge, VA, travelled across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, down through the DelMarVa peninsula to Chincoteague Island, Va. We then headed south through the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel to Norfolk, then followed I-64 to Newport News and met Chopin and Ms. Vickie for the return trip home. We opted to take Rt. 17 instead of the I-64/I-95 because of traffic issues,

Have to say that we experienced just as much heat on this trip that we cared to handle. It was 102 degrees in Newport News/Yorktown and we had been travelling into that all day (it was 90+ in the Cambridge, MD area when we passed through at about 10:00!) Have to say it was nice to see the sun finally set and let some of the heat dissipate.

Fossil, we had lunch at Bill's (opted for light fare as we were still less than halfway through the ride), but we both liked the food. Thanks for the recommendation!

New updated map:

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
Fossil, we had lunch at Bill's (opted for light fare as we were still less than halfway through the ride), but we both liked the food. Thanks for the recommendation!
My pleasure. Glad it worked out.

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Bump. Updated map in OP to show status as of 8/14. Getting it done, bit by bit, but from here on it will take some creative scheduling or overnight trips, I think.

·
Super Moderator
28,447 Posts
It's been said "Good things come to those that wait"

You will fill the map when the times are right my friend "Patience Grasshopper".

Happy Riding.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts