Honda Goldwing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I bought a 2010 gold wing at an auction,it was in an accident so all the front plastics cracked no biggie cosmetic damage nothing major.but my problem is the bike will turn over but won't fire up.do the gold wing have some type of safety that cuts the fuel in a crash and needs to be reset?with a amprobe tester I send 12 volt to the fuel pump it works but still won't fire.haven't had time to take all the covers off to check if i have spark,what do you guys think?

·
Registered
296 Posts
Don't take this wrong, but have you checked to see that the cut off switch on the throttle side of the handle bars is in the correct position? This is usually overlooked. Otherwise, someone will come along with more info that I can give. But do take a look to be sure it is in the run position, not the cut off position

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
The bank angle sensor may be damaged.
Also welcome to the forum.

·
Premium Member
7,982 Posts
Trike Lady is a go-to person for electrical stuff, and then some. I'm just a simple dimple. Pull some plastic (you've got to do some fixing anyway, right?) and make sure of fuel flow to the cylinders, verified by spark plugs, and then spark, followed by "inhalation and exhalation." If all that's good, and all fuses are good, then TL to the rescue!

·
Registered
674 Posts
The bank angle sensor resets itself once you cycle the ignition key.
Do you know how long the bike has been sitting? If this was my bike before I spent any money on repairs or parts I would be gathering information. You know the drill check for spark at all cylinders check the plugs and compression for each cylinder.
Smell the fuel in the tank to see if it smells like varnish. The plastics may only have scratches on it but may have been pushed in greatly during the crash and perhaps crushed a relay or harness. So before you go too crazy trying to get it running take the poor wing apart inspecting it like an insurance adjuster looking for any and all clues to what could have been damaged.untill you are sure there is no hidden electrical damage I would disconnect the battery.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
heres the thing all the fuses that i have seen are good but i have not seen one label fuel pump,or a relay labeled fuel pump.but like i said i send 12 volt to the pump with the amprobe and it pumps.fuel is new,not sure how long the bike sat does not show on the auction report.but yes i have to finish taking off all the plastic for a full inspection and detailed

·
Registered
674 Posts
When you checked the fuses are you checking for power on both sides of the fuse with a meter or at least a test light? Simply pulling a fuse and looking at it does not tell you if power is present. If you have tested the fuel pump circuit you should find a short burst of power when the key is turned on and it should stay on while. Cranking. Also a noid light kit can be bought cheep and once you get the Tupperware off you could test for injector pulse to insure that once the fuel pump is on your getting the signal from the computer to turn on and off the injectors. Like I said more info needed so let's dive in. Pictures of your auction find would be cool along with close up of the damaged areas so we can determine if any sensitive electronics or wiring is close enough to cause your problem.

·
Premium Member
16,738 Posts
Have you check the Battery voltage while the engine is turning over. I've seen it more then once where the engine will sounld like it is cranking fine, but the battery is to weak to light the engine off.

·
Super Moderator
7,609 Posts
Why I stated the BAS was because the poster stated that the bike had damage to the front plastic body work and inside the nose is where the BAS is and if it has been damaged or no longer plumb.
Hey guys I bought a 2010 gold wing at an auction,it was in an accident so all the front plastics cracked no biggie cosmetic damage nothing major.but my problem is the bike will turn over but won't fire up.do the gold wing have some type of safety that cuts the fuel in a crash and needs to be reset?with a amprobe tester I send 12 volt to the fuel pump it works but still won't fire.haven't had time to take all the covers off to check if i have spark,what do you guys think?
Has the 'Reverse' button accidentally been pushed in?
Just a thought.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why I stated the BAS was because the poster stated that the bike had damage to the front plastic body work and inside the nose is where the BAS is and if it has been damaged or no longer plumb.

Has the 'Reverse' button accidentally been pushed in?
Just a thought.
haven't had a chance to go buy the shop to further diagnose it,but thanks for all the advice i will check everything one by one

·
Premium Member
24,632 Posts
Ditto on the pics of the damage from the accident. Beauty is skin deep, but ugly goes clean to the bone. What I mean is something may look superficial, but there could be more than meets the eye. When you turn the key on, can you hear the fuel pump?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts