Honda Goldwing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just rolled over 600 miles on my new Wing. Just wondering if anyone has experienced this?

When I downshift and come to a stop for a traffic light, stop sign etc. - the engine surges a few times. It's like it's hunting for idle RPM. It settles to a steady idle after it goes up and down a couple times.

Has yet to stall and I have no other issues with this bike.

Has anyone had the same issue? Seems like the EFI needs a little tweaking or will this go away with some more miles?

Rob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Rob,
I have got the same problem, whent to different dealers, read out the computer, reset the ECM , nothing helps, i recharged fully my battery, and i mean it is now better, but not gone, i have only 10.000 miles....on a 2006 jear model.
I posted this problem in belgium, holland, and in USA forums, and getting the feeling many gl1800 drivers have this problem, but nowbody can fix it....
The problem i have also, is when i stop, the idle goes first to a 400 RPM, and goes back up to 750/800 RPM, and again begins to surge for an stabel idle, i am getting pissed off whit this problem......
Stefan

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have a 2010 with 1500 miles now. Mine did the same thing a lot at first but most of the surging has gone away. An oil change and a couple long trips seemed to help. It might have to do with breaking in. I wonder if a synthetic oil would help?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies all!

This seems to be a minor issue with the EFI programming in my opinion. As long as this does not develop into a stalling problem or the engine racing when I am stopped, I guess I will just live with it but it is annoying to me. At least I now know it is not just a problem with my bike.

Stefan, what you described is exactly what my 2010 is doing!

C Dexter, I appreciate the comments, but I can't understand how an oil change or synthetic oil and more miles would resolve this? This has to be somehow related to fuel metering/injector timing, RPM sensor tuning and/or ignition advance in my opinion. Something in the ECU needs tweaking.

Rob

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi Rob,
You have got a new bike, a 2010 model, i have a 2006 whit 10.000miles, they are both new bikes, i dont believe, when i see all these postings that we are not the only one whit this problem, that nowbody can tell us what we can do about it, to fix it......
Many GL1800 drivers has this same problem, and not "one" dealer or Honda technician all over the world, can tell us where to look, to fix the problem, verry strange i think so......:mad:
So how many GL drivers have this nice idle....., and that for a bike from that kind of money.....:(:(
Today i went to drive the bike, when i stopped at a light, the engine almost fall out every time, i am not happy whit it, if you or somebody else has fixed this problem, please let me now what to do....
Thankx
Stefan;)

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just purchased a 2010 GW today, Rode it about 50 miles, called dealer about the fluxuations in the idle speed..."hunting for a stable rpm"...he said the program is designed to fluxuated the idle rpm for the first 1500-2000 miles...it is part of the learning process of the on-board CPU...he recommended that for the first 2000 miles to do slow and steady start-ups at stop signs versus gunning it....and to do slow accelerations in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. The cpu will learn and find a stable RPM for idling...

Not sure what to believe...it has to be a known problem by Honda and the Dealers...because the dealer did not bat an eye when asked the question....:confused:

I will let you know once I reach 2000 miles if all said is true.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
MarkH,

Thanks for that info. I'll have to see if the idle gets better after 2,000 miles. I am breaking mine in like you quoted - no gunning it etc.

Hope this "learning" is stored in non-volatile memory so if the battery is removed the bike does not have to learn all over again?

I am a little leery of the dealer's explanation though. I've never had a fuel injected, ECU controlled bike that had to learn to idle at a set RPM? All my other new bikes in the past idled fine right off the showroom floor. Time will tell.

The only other thing I wish was that the gas application in 1st gear was not so touchy. But given more time I am sure I will get better at applying the throttle. It also feels like it could use one more gear up top.

Other than those couple of minor items, I love the 2010 Wing!

Rob

·
Registered
217 Posts
MarkH,

The only other thing I wish was that the gas application in 1st gear was not so touchy. But given more time I am sure I will get better at applying the throttle. It also feels like it could use one more gear up top.

Other than those couple of minor items, I love the 2010 Wing!

Rob
Rob, I know what you mean ...compared to my '81 GW the throttle is so much more responsive....its kind of cool....it brings back old memories when you first learned how to ride a bike...I guess it will just take a few days to get use too...I also love my 2010....but miss the quirks of the '81...ok no I don't....Safe Rides...:)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't explain why mine stopped having the problem as bad but it was at the same time I changed the oil and differential fluid for the first time at 600 miles. Then I took it out for another 700 mile trip and most (not all) of the surging was gone. I had not heard of the ECM procedure before. I just did it and hope that helps too.

About the touchy throttle response someone wrote about- I adjusted most of the slack out of the clutch cable and that took care of the problem.

The main concern I have with my bike is a mushy feeling front end. I put on a Kuryakyn fork brace and that helped some but it still gets a very slight wobble occasionally in turns. Does anyone have a recommendation for tightening up the steering?

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Guys, I'm going to be at a seminar in a couple weeks and will be talking to some of the higher ups from Honda Canada. My '09 never exhibited any of the surging issues that seem to be quite common. None of the techs that I have spoke to have an answer (sorry Stef but I am still trying) so I'm hoping that I can at least get the ball rolling with the factory reps. I'll post whatever I find out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I THINK I have noticed it in my 08 model with just under 4,000 miles. I also think that when the clutch lever is slowly released to the point it begins to create friction with the clutch the engine RPM rises a little. I always assumed it had something to do with the EFI trying to adjust the idle with the change in load on the engine. Does that seem reasonable to anyone else??? If this happens to anyone else, do a mental check and see if you have moved the clutch lever even a little bit.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Just purchased a 2010 GW today, Rode it about 50 miles, called dealer about the fluxuations in the idle speed..."hunting for a stable rpm"...he said the program is designed to fluxuated the idle rpm for the first 1500-2000 miles...it is part of the learning process of the on-board CPU...he recommended that for the first 2000 miles to do slow and steady start-ups at stop signs versus gunning it....and to do slow accelerations in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear. The cpu will learn and find a stable RPM for idling...

QUOTE]

I asked Kenny the ONE to go to at Sunrise Honda about it and he said basically the same as above except that major altitude changes could restart the process but over time the CPU would have a base to work with. With no major changes it should just fade away for the most part.

·
Registered
87 Posts
While my motorcycle knowledge is extremely limited, this explanation actually makes some sense. I know that the the owner's manual on my 2006 F350 Ford diesel pickup says that the computer "learns" how you drive during the first 750-1000 miles and adjusts the fuel injection, spark curve, shift points, etc. based on your driving style and average load. It makes sense that a lot of vehicles may use the same type of learning process. The perplexing point is why wing67 would still be having problems after 10,000 miles.:confused:

Hoss

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi CVHoss,
Indeed, i have the problem the last 2000 miles, now i have 10.000 miles....., i don't now whats going on....:(:confused:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Rob,
You have got a new bike, a 2010 model, i have a 2006 whit 10.000miles, they are both new bikes, i dont believe, when i see all these postings that we are not the only one whit this problem, that nowbody can tell us what we can do about it, to fix it......
Many GL1800 drivers has this same problem, and not "one" dealer or Honda technician all over the world, can tell us where to look, to fix the problem, verry strange i think so......:mad:
So how many GL drivers have this nice idle....., and that for a bike from that kind of money.....:(:(
Today i went to drive the bike, when i stopped at a light, the engine almost fall out every time, i am not happy whit it, if you or somebody else has fixed this problem, please let me now what to do....
Thankx
Stefan;)
with ALL fuel injected engines, the TPS or MAP sensor are the only 2 things that cause surging. the fact that they are not trying to help out a customer by switching the MAP sensor and testing it to see if it releives it or the TPS is just bad service / lack of training. It could be the crank or cam sensors too, but those would likely kill the engine completely as the computers are programmed to do so. does the 3 times lemon law not cover motorcycles too ?

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have by and installed a new ECM computer, the problem is gone, when i stop at a traffic light, the idle does not go down anymore, but sta's on the normal RPM...:)

·
Administrator
26,270 Posts
Glad you got your issue sorted out. I got absolutely nothing from the Honda Canada reps at the meeting I went to. I spoke with six or seven other dealers and they had no knowledge of the problem. I never heard anything back from my buddy on the tech line but he did say they were aware of it and working on it. It must affect only a small percentage of the bikes or there would have been a bulletin issued to all dealers, and then maybe even a recall.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Mine has done it from day 1. I now have 10,000 miles - a few and it surges a little when stopped. I can hear the engine go up and down slightly but when I look at the tach it doesn't move.
My mileage is good, it cranks every time, smooth as silk, no extra heat so I just let it do it doesn't bother me. Besides I am listening to tunes any way.

just a thought

dd

1 - 20 of 25 Posts